• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Time for a summary of some of my recent reads worth mentioning. 

Fiction recommends:

Literally anything by NK Jemisin.

Railsea by China Miéville (I'm yet to read a novel by him that disappoints, either, but I haven't finished all of them yet).

All Systems Red by Martha Wells

Non-fiction recommends:

Fooled by Randomess by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. A good companion to Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, and although the structure is a bit messy, it has some very interesting information on decision-making within systems affected by randomness (which is basically all of them, albeit to a varying degree).

Are We Smart Enough To Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal. The title says it all, but I recommend this for basically everyone; it's got a lot of fascinating research and dispells a lot of myths about intelligence.

How To Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan. On the re-emergence of research into psychadelics as an effective treatment for various psychogical illnesses.

@dode those first two non-fiction both felt like something you might find interesting.

9 hours ago, Barristan said:

I loved Perdido Street Station by Miéville. Bought it twice, lent it twice, need to buy again.

Yes! If you're new to his writing, that's a great place to start. It was the first book I read by him and it caught me quite off-guard. But after some initial trepidation, I suddenly absolutely loved it and went on to devour it and the two stand-alone sequels. I've also read The City in the City and Railsea, both of which were excellent in their own right. Next up is Kraken.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dode said:

The Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky.  Bought it last night, will have it finished by the end of today.  Wonderful stuff.

Ooh, an audio version exists. Audible credit spent, my recommendations were getting bogged down in Black Library stuff.

Awards

8 hours ago, dode said:

I'm currently 7 hours into the 57hr epic "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer, a US reporter who was in Germany at the time.  Should last me a few weeks...

The longest I’ve finished is The Stand by Stephen King. That was a mere 47 hours.

Awards

I've read Children of Time and Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky, both very good sci-fi. Might have a look at his fantasy at some point.

I also went all-in and got Anathem by Neal Stephenson for a free Audible offer, that should be interesting once I get started (you could pick anything for free so I found the most expensive item on my to-read list -- $55!).

27 minutes ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I've read Children of Time and Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky, both very good sci-fi. Might have a look at his fantasy at some point.

I also went all-in and got Anathem by Neal Stephenson for a free Audible offer, that should be interesting once I get started (you could pick anything for free so I found the most expensive item on my to-read list -- $55!).

Is that you a new Audible member then? Welcome to my world. Since joining in 2017 I’ve got through almost 200 audiobooks, not counting the ones I’ve repeated.

Awards

30 minutes ago, Doomy77 said:

Is that you a new Audible member then? Welcome to my world. Since joining in 2017 I’ve got through almost 200 audiobooks, not counting the ones I’ve repeated.

I've done audiobooks before when I had a drone job, was great for that. But I prefer to read if that's an option. Not sure when I'll listen to the two ones I have now, to be honest. Don't have a lot of suitable dowtime.

I enjoyed The Stand audiobook.  I tend to listen during my 30-min commute.  Radio is a pile of pants and I am not a big music fan, so it works really well for me as a medium.

Finished reading Dogs of War last night.  Been a long time since I've finished a book in a day but this was one of those times.  Fantastic book.

On to Redshirts...

Awards

2 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

Thumbs up. Loved Anathem. My phone's autocorrect hates it, that took three goes to type.

Children of Ruin is on my pile.

1 hour ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I've done audiobooks before when I had a drone job, was great for that. But I prefer to read if that's an option. Not sure when I'll listen to the two ones I have now, to be honest. Don't have a lot of suitable dowtime.

My job involves tons of reading of complicated and dry reports, so for recreation I prefer having someone read to me. ;)

Awards

Yeah King usually has a lot of characters and a lot of words, but it's not dense or difficult to comprehend.  What I find difficult with audiobooks is the kind of book where I need to keep referring back to really understand things.

I also really enjoy Joe Hill audiobooks.  He's a bit darker than his father but his material works equally well in audiobook form.  I would recommend his short stories (20th century ghosts, strange weather), and his novels in that form (I've listened to Horns and N0S4A2).

As a little crossover with "What are you watching" I watched the first episode of Locke and Key on netflix last night (Joe hill graphic novel adapted, though I haven't read the graphic novel), it seemed intriguing.

18 hours ago, dode said:

I'm currently 7 hours into the 57hr epic "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" by William Shirer, a US reporter who was in Germany at the time.  Should last me a few weeks...

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is excellent. It's on my shelves somewhere, having read it a few years back.

I don't know how I got recommended Dan Carlin's podcast (might even have been in this thread), but I can absolutely recommend the "Blueprint for Armageddon" series (which is episodes 50 to 55 of his Hardcore History series). The subject is WWI, so it's certainly not "easy listening", but it is extremely informative and thought-provoking. Overall listening time: App. 23 hours.

2 hours ago, Borke said:

I don't know how I got recommended Dan Carlin's podcast (might even have been in this thread), but I can absolutely recommend the "Blueprint for Armageddon" series (which is episodes 50 to 55 of his Hardcore History series). The subject is WWI, so it's certainly not "easy listening", but it is extremely informative and thought-provoking. Overall listening time: App. 23 hours.

I am listening to all Carlin, and I do reccommend him. Everthing in "Hardcore History" is a gruesome listening, but very well thought out. I strongly suggest Hardcore History 43-47 – Wrath of the Khans Series. It is incredible how little I knew of the time when the Mongols almost conquered Europe!

On 2/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, dode said:

The Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky.  Bought it last night, will have it finished by the end of today.  Wonderful stuff.

It is great, and the audiobook is well done with multiple narrators.

One question though - what is the name of the female doctor in the village? I keep hearing it as “Deciduous”.

Awards

On 2/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, Borke said:

I’m twelve minutes in and already hooked.

Awards