@Rymdkejsaren. Some fine recommendations there. Sad to say that my book consumption has diminished greatly since early 2020. Before the virus times audiobooks were very much my jam and I did the vast majority of my “reading” while driving, which of course has been greatly curtailed due to the pandemic.

I hope to get the opportunity to return to that pattern before long.

Awards

Speaking of greek myths reimagined, I really enjoyed Illium by Dan Simmons, and it's conclusion Olympos.  It's mostly sci fi thousands of years in the future, but the trojan war is ongoing on Mars, while the few humans remaining on earth present an interesting culture.  Then there's the sentient robots coming to this side of the solar system to explore the strange emissions coming from the area.  I found it quite compelling.  Simmons is one of those authors who has some books I love and others I don't feel are particular well written or interesting.  I enjoyed these ones as much as Hyperion though.

6 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

At some point I may have to pick up something by Sanderson again, but I read The Final Empire and thought it was meh: 2/5.

I would say The Final Empire was possibly the least interesting of the Mistborn novels, it has so much world building to do.  While I did enjoy the first Mistborn trilogy, I liked the Wax and Wayne novels a lot more; which are a trilogy of books in the same world but many years in the future.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Shadow of the Conqueror by YouTuber Shad M. Brooks. I liked the premise of the most evil dictator in history getting a chance to redeem himself via rejuvenation and magic powers, but some of the writing and characters didn’t sit right with me.

I saw a thread on Reddit where it got an absolute savaging but I think that’s a bit much, though I was listening to the audiobook which has some top tier narrators. Perhaps it’s harder to get through in print.

Awards

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Bleak House and it was excellent.  The only other novel I read by Dickens was A Tale of Two Cities and I thought it was okay.  But Bleak House I thought was great.  And while the house wasn't bleak at all, he would hit me with some scenes of how the poor lived that were just really sad, getting me choked up a few times, and then there was one scene that had me actually crying some manly tears because of how devastatingly sad it was. 

Nabokov's lecture on it was also great and while he praised Dickens for the work he also pointed out where Dickens was weak with his storytelling. 

I then read Madame Bovary and that was also great.  I went into it knowing nothing about it other than when it came out it was controversial and I can understand why as some of the scenes were kinda racy, but nothing that one could consider obscene.  I think it was more the subject matter itself that the people objected to.  

And again, Nabokov's lecture on it that I read following the book was awesome.  He pointed out some themes that I didn't pick up when I had first read it.  He also inserted into the piece Flaubert's own thoughts on his own process, which was fascinating, for example he talks about how it took him several days to write a few pages.  It also was interesting to read about how he pretty much innovated this bit where multiple conversations are going on at the same time but overlap, I've come across this in another book, Some Other Place.The Right Place, and I'm convinced that this is where Harington got the idea from.  I'm sure Harington had also read Nabokov's lectures because of how much influence Nabokov had on Harington's own writing.

And I'm currently reading The Hot Rock by Westlake, and it's just a hoot.  It's a crime/mystery and the first in a series about a crook named Dortmunder.  I've always liked Westlake but I haven't read him since I was in college and I picked up a few of these Dortmunder books when they were on sale for the Kindle and so far this is great, nice and fast reading with a few guffaws here and there, just reminds me of New York from when I was a kid, just a magical place full of criminals, lol.  The book is basically about a jewel heist that goes wrong and then when they try to fix it, it just keeps going wrong, real fun stuff.