Book 'em Up

Doomy77

On 6/18/2022 at 9:15 AM, Rymdkejsaren said:

I absolutely loved that book (particularly as narrated by Moira Quirk). The sequel is out and I believe the third is coming soon. However, the sequel is a much tougher read, for reasons that I can't really get into without spoiling. It's just set up to be strange, and it has mystery but in a different way from the first. Just so you're ready for a mindbender. I still recommend it, but it doesn't quite have the, how shall I say it -- panache? -- of the first book.

Just finished it. It's awesome. True, I was quite baffled at the beginning and feared I would not like it as much as the first one. Then it unravels slowly and it's just mind-blowing. I love the way it rewrites the first book and also that you get to see more of some characters like the 5th and the 7th (trying not to spoil) or Otus (? problem with audiobooks is not knowing the correct spellings!). I feel like there are some loose strands though - the fate of the 6th and the other survivors for instance. Maybe on purpose, maybe not.

I've pre-ordered the sequel and also Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower to wait for it :)

9 hours ago, Barristan said:

Just finished it. It's awesome. True, I was quite baffled at the beginning and feared I would not like it as much as the first one. Then it unravels slowly and it's just mind-blowing. I love the way it rewrites the first book and also that you get to see more of some characters like the 5th and the 7th (trying not to spoil) or Otus (? problem with audiobooks is not knowing the correct spellings!). I feel like there are some loose strands though - the fate of the 6th and the other survivors for instance. Maybe on purpose, maybe not.

I've pre-ordered the sequel and also Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower to wait for it :)

Awesome, glad you liked it!

Definitely books I will have to listen to again, and probably read because it is easier to comprehend complex plots when you read, I find. But the narrator is just so damn goooood. One of the best I've listened to, I think. Perhaps rivalled by Ben Allen for the Shadows of the Apt series I'm currently listening to, who does voices and accents of like a gazillion characters and they are still clearly individuals, or maybe Chiwetel Ejiofor in Piranesi.

Definitely, sometimes I wished I could go back to re-read some earlier portions. But yes, the narrator is brilliant.

Funnily enough, I was reading on Audible about Shadows of the Apt yesterday and the comments were split down the middle about the narration, people either love it or hate it. Consensus on the story being great though so might go for it later.

Princess Floralinda is also great so far, while much simpler and shorter. Same narrator!

9 hours ago, Barristan said:

Funnily enough, I was reading on Audible about Shadows of the Apt yesterday and the comments were split down the middle about the narration, people either love it or hate it. Consensus on the story being great though so might go for it later.

I'm guessing the people who don't like it are Americans. He uses a variety of British accents (as well as others) to represent the different cultures in the world.

I'm on the fifth book, or tome is probably a better word, all being 7-800 pages. Still enjoying it. The storytelling is a bit weaker at the start, but I can see this is where he honed his craft before writing the amazing Children of Time and Dogs of War.

Edited by Rymdkejsaren

On 6/18/2022 at 1:15 AM, Rymdkejsaren said:

I absolutely loved that book (particularly as narrated by Moira Quirk). The sequel is out and I believe the third is coming soon. However, the sequel is a much tougher read, for reasons that I can't really get into without spoiling. It's just set up to be strange, and it has mystery but in a different way from the first. Just so you're ready for a mindbender. I still recommend it, but it doesn't quite have the, how shall I say it -- panache? -- of the first book.

Interesting.  I finished Gideon and purchased the 2nd book, but I'll probably read a few other things I've bought recently first.  Gideon was definitely interesting.  I had a hard time remembering all the names from all the different house; but overall I really enjoyed it.

• 1 month later...

So I finished Nona the Ninth. I'm sorry to say it's disappointing after the first two. The story is crawling with not many exciting moments, it's another 'it's her but it's not her' basis, and a lot of stuff I found confusing. The ending is just flat. Sure the characters are well written and endearing but it never reaches the heights I was used to. The best for me was John's backstory. I think there is another one at least in the making, so we'll have to see. Moira Quirk is not at fault anyway.

I have now started my first Terry Pratchett book ever, finally! I've picked Guards! Guards! as I saw mentioned several times it was a good entry point. Liking it a lot so far.

10 hours ago, Barristan said:

So I finished Nona the Ninth. I'm sorry to say it's disappointing after the first two. The story is crawling with not many exciting moments, it's another 'it's her but it's not her' basis, and a lot of stuff I found confusing. The ending is just flat. Sure the characters are well written and endearing but it never reaches the heights I was used to. The best for me was John's backstory. I think there is another one at least in the making, so we'll have to see. Moira Quirk is not at fault anyway.

Didn't even realise it was out! I will add it to Mount TBR.

10 hours ago, Barristan said:

I have now started my first Terry Pratchett book ever, finally! I've picked Guards! Guards! as I saw mentioned several times it was a good entry point. Liking it a lot so far.

:o 

Pratchett is amazing. Though his Discworld collection is a maze, and some of the books aren't quite as brilliant as others. That was a good pick, though! Mort is another must-read, and Equal Rites is high on my list as well.