Total War - Warhammer

crimsonsun

As much as i loved the TW series the horrible reviews prevented me from buying Rome2 and newer releases, but with WH i really hope it wont be too bad as i will have a hard time to resist.

Rome 2 is fine now and that's the only TW game they really screwed up, mainly because the failed to make the game the community wanted. While I feel that the Rome 2 release was shocking, the fact that creative assembly actually maintained support and regular updates to sort out the issues does deserve credit. It's one thing to launch a poor game, but its another thing to admit it and fix it the best you can.

I'm mildly annoyed by the looks of Attila being as it's the game Rome 2 should have been, though I doubt we will see many of the Rome 2 issues this time around mainly because it runs from the Rome 2 core Engine which is patched up nicely. Though with some of the mechanics incorporated will mean I am very much looking forward to giving that title a good deal of my time.

I am more concerned by Warhammer Total war as it cannot run using the same engine as there's too many game altering mechanics that really need incorporating and I very much doubt the Rome 2 engine is going to be able to hand Flying Units which are kinda essential in Warhammer. Also the implementation of Magic in a real time combat environment is going to be interesting to say the least because magic in Warhammer is not something you can duplicate with some fancy ranged attacks or command orders, you have units being summoned from beneath the ground, teleportation, commits raining down from the heavens, the moving or animation of forests, hills, rivers and mountains, wizards can even transform into huge monsters, let alone including the fluid nature of the winds themselves which would need to be incorporated somehow.

However if this game is done well it will be amazing but if done in a half arsed fashion it will be shocking, though if someone said to me 3 years ago creative assembly were making Warhammer Total war I would have no doubt it would be one of the best games released this decade, so should one sloppy release tarnish Creative Assembly so harshly especially after they have repaired the game in question to a good game even if not quite up to the stupidly high standards we expect from Creative Assembly.

Food for though anyway... Crimsonsun

Thanks Crimsonsun, food for thought indeed.

Maybe i will try out Rome 2/Attila some time ... which means once its around 75-80% on steam sale ... after the initial launch impressions i didn't really look into it as i found CK2 and while battles are nice i mostly play for the campaign mode (map painting...)

• 1 month later...

Hey Dudes,

I got this game and play against Mr Jones from time to time (Total War: Rome 2), was wondering if anyone still plays? Bit of charge killy maybe?.....

I play RTW2, Attilia, ME2TW - modded, Shogun 2, Empire (modded) though I've never really messed around with the online battles/campaigns side of things. I will say however that Attilia is a much better game than Rome2 because the UI makes the game some much faster and therefore engrossing though it did have some bugs however I expect the big ones to have been patched by now.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a mod for Medieval 2 Total war expansion that was warhammer. It wasnt perfect and took a little tweaking but still was better than any of the regular games imo. I'd love to see what creative assembly can do with it. Hope they get their act together a bit since Ive followed their games since the first shogun, and they really started to fall apart at Empire and released unfinished/broken games ever since. (They got bought out by Sony and lost their lead programmer)

There was a mod for Medieval 2 Total war expansion that was warhammer. It wasnt perfect and took a little tweaking but still was better than any of the regular games imo. I'd love to see what creative assembly can do with it. Hope they get their act together a bit since Ive followed their games since the first shogun, and they really started to fall apart at Empire and released unfinished/broken games ever since. (They got bought out by Sony and lost their lead programmer)

There were 2 actually though your likely referencing the more widely known Call of Warhammer, though personally I seriously disliked a lot of the chosen art style and the balance sucked balls. The other one was The Sundering Rise of the witch King and the never regrettably finished Struggle for the Old World, these mods were really firmly based in the WFB setting with great balance and a far less cartoon style of art which for me personally put them 100times better than the infamous Call of Warhammer.

However when your talking about Mods of Med2 Kingdoms the Lord of the rings conversion was something else, literally stunning, it even has the fellowship campaign where you lead the fellowship of the ring across middle earth to destroy the one ring, as well as the more traditional racial territory campaign stuff.

Final comment is that Attila is the best Total War Game I've played since Med2 (Empire/Nap were cool but I seriously dislike a lot of the development systems in place) its just a shame Creative assembly seem to be murdering there reputation with a constant stream of over priced low scope DLC and by alot we have 4-5 within a month of release which is utterly absurd! However play style and mechanically it knocks the releases of the last decade out of the park in terms of how fun it is to play.

• 2 weeks later...

They have announced there will be 2 standalone expansions following this which I assume will contain a selection of new races in each.

I imagine one will be related to elfs and the other skaven related? But I would hope for skaven and ogre kingdoms! Bring out the ogres!

Awards