Total War - Warhammer

crimsonsun

I passed T100 in my ME Teclis campaign, loving it so far. The increased reliance on diplomacy and trade makes for a nice change of pace. I was a bit disgruntled to find out there is no suitable climate for my folks in the Old World after deciding I was going to be friends with most of the Lizards. I landed in Tilea and took Magritta to punish them for always refusing to trade. Meanwhile another army sailed north to scout. Seeing that Tyrion and Maz are all over Naggaroth, I sent this lot to assist Teclis. I might leave my home defenseless for a while since the Lizards are my mates.

A couple of points:

- Is it possible to get rid of the corruption entirely if there is a local populace factor? I have +21//-3 and the Vampiric corruption will not drop below 10% in the Vampire Coast.

- There are so many places to go I'm not even sure what to do. Awesome feeling to be honest, did you guys experience the same?

- HE roster is OP as fuck, except maybe to get rid of huge monsters before you get the Phoenix Guards.

I fished a couple of nice mods as well, what are you guys using these days?

Lothern Sea Guard are a Tier II/Tier III unit, they have spears, shields and bows. Meaning they are cheap and they do everything until you unlock the higher tiers (add basic archers and you melt anything before it comes to contact). Swordmasters of Hoeth are about the best anti-infantry you can find, and Phoenix Guard the best anti-large. Cavalry/Chariots have pretty good options too. And you have Phoenixes and Dragons on top, although I admit I'm not very good at using them. Meanwhile Teclis is the best Mage I've played to date (awesome combination of spells and power recharge like mad) and I've heard Tyrion is up there as a tank/damage dealer.

Now this is only from playing the campaign on normal, I've seen multiplayer battles and they don't always win - they are expensive as fuck to balance it all.

I would recommend getting the game though - the combined map is a fantastic experience for me so far.

Yeah I would say that from the factions in the base Total War 2, High Elves probably got the best of it, in terms of units campaign wise. Even just their basic spearman regiment is pretty good, considering there are the same amount of them as any other races regiment, they got the huge shields for missile damage reduction and they got good morale. So long as they don't get outflanked, they are grand in defensive battles, though of course, they don't do as much damage on offense due to having spears, but I'd say that's an acceptable trade off. Compared to the other races militia units, which would be Skaven Slaves/Clanrats for the Skaven, which are basically fodder both of them, Dark Elves get their spearmen, but I'm pretty sure they at least have worse morale, since at least in my experience they DE in general tends to run away faster than their good aligned cousins and the Lizardmen have Skinks, which are also pretty much fodder. And I don't think that the Tomb Kings will be able to contest that either, because their militia unit will be just basic skeletons.

Even compared to all the races in both games, the only unit that can give them a run for their money, is probably the Dwarven Warriors and the Wood Elf Glade Guard to a lesser extent, but not really since they are a smaller unit, without shields or proper armor.

Edited by Alessus

Awards

High elves are amazing in campaign. Even on hard their standard archers melt most units. In multiplayer they have a lot of options but their biggest disadvantage is the lack of anti large cavalry. Dragon princes are amazing and you'll see a lot of competitive players rocking 2 or 3 of them but they'll lose to blood knights, grail knights, demigryphs with halbards etc.

Thanks for illuminating some facts about HE in TWW2. Really like the fact they are not so bad at all, obviously. In many other games, like BB they are not really competitive, but still I love them. The fluff behind is just awesome and in my opinion iconic for Elves©.

I’m not sure if my system is good enough for getting the game processed, in a playable but still nice looking manner. These are my specs:

Intel I5-2500k CPU @3.30 Ghz

GeForce GTX 560 Ti with 1280 MB RAM

DirectX 12

8 GB RAM

Windows 10, 64bit

My problem is, I cannot try my system running TTW2 w/o buying it and then maybe get disappointed by the outcome.

You can get a refund on Steam easily - I think you can try the game for two hours spread across one week or something like that. If your PC does not run it, full refund. RK can fill you in on that, I never tried myself but I know he does it a lot.

Your specs are only slightly below mine and I can run it well enough - not everything on high but it runs fine, only a few graphical glitches now and then (but I could lower some stuff and I have no lag). I think you should be fine.

High Elves not competitive in BB? I quite disagree and I think Pidpad would tell you otherwise ;)

When you buy something from Steam (and not 3rd party sites, naturally), you can refund it provided you have played it for less than 2 hours and that it hasn't been more than 14 days since your purchase. They'll even send the money back to your bank card if you paid with one. I use it all the time, especially during sales. Bought five games in winter sale, refunded four. :)

4 hours ago, Anubis2406 said:

Thanks for illuminating some facts about HE in TWW2. Really like the fact they are not so bad at all, obviously. In many other games, like BB they are not really competitive, but still I love them. The fluff behind is just awesome and in my opinion iconic for Elves©.

Just as a cautions though, they do suffer from high costs, on every unit. I've played every campaign on Very Hard so far and for most of the campaign with High Elves I've had 2 full stack armies, but mostly made of militia units like spearmen and archers while the enemy got increasing amounts of better units. I mean I might have not played them optimally and expanded enough, but only in the late game stages would I be able to field armies with larger amounts of elite units and still have enough armies to hold my territories as the AI likes to build multiple full stack armies, mostly made of cheaper units to throw at you and with the High Elves upkeep costs, you can't really afford to lose any province that is making even a decent amount of gold. The problem I find with Lothern Sea Guard is that they are even more expensive and if you rely on them to hold your battleline, like I do with spearmen, then you'll also lose their ranged attack, because obviously they are in melee and they have fewer numbers than Spearmen.

But compared to Skaven and probably the Tomb Kings, less so for the Lizards and Dark Elves, the High Elf units are expensive and I've found myself, when facing Skaven, to almost always be outnumbered and thus outflanked by them, especially since they can summon units out of the ground anywhere on the battlefield and if I just play defensively against them, their artilery pieces will shread my units to pieces, because all the High Elves get is a Bolt Thrower, which is decent, but lacks both the range and the hitting power, especially against infantry units, that even the basic Skaven trebuchet equivalent.

Edited by Alessus

Awards

@RK: good to know, maybe I’ll use this one during a nice TWW2 sale on steam. Or I could order it an then just test and refund it. And afterwards order it again from a keyseller with round about 50% discount.

@Barristan: I know I’m not Mr. Perfect when it comes to BB, just wathc my “record” here in the OCC or at the NAF (http://tinyurl.com/z38qhkf). But I still haven’t seen good HE coaches in action. Maybe I should watch more Andy Davo matches and try to learn from them, but he also has very OP skills ups (with only come with nuffles blessing). 2 blitzers with PO & MB?! Seriously? The second (fresh) blitzer has only 2 skills at all, both doubles? Come on! Rolled in 4! Matches he made. Seems a tiny bit lucky to me.

I lost 387 SPP distributed on 15 players (112 CAS taken). Andy only lost 365 SPP distributed on 15 players (87 CAS taken). I got hammered pretty bad, and my season right is gonna be the worst, because of this meat grinder called a divison in which I’m stuck in.

Back to TWW2: do you “just” play campaigns or do you play multiplayer matches, using TWW2 as a kind of maybe the best Warhammer fantasy digital version available?

Edited by Anubis2406

I haven't touched BB in a while, but HE seemed fine to me, with the usual weaknesses bound to Elven teams. I must admit the new bank rules may have made them more prone to a run of bad luck setting the team back big time, but I just don't know.

I only play campaigns so far. There are many races I haven't touched yet and I love the feeling of starting a new campaign since each faction is so different from the others. I could be tempted by multiplayer battles with people from here maybe, or with strangers once I tire of the single player - but I'm not a good 'real-time only' general at the moment.

Its been quite a while since i've played the game, but i had quite a few fun mp matches with people from this forum. You can team up against the pc or go head to head and do sieges, ambushes and the like. Lots of options.

One tip is that if you decide to go up against the pc, i recommend changing the pc's default army as they tend to have a weird combo of troops and are also usually chariot heavy.

Personally I'm rather like Barristan, in that I play mostly campaigns, as I consider myself a decent general, but certainly not a master tactician. I also usually play games for completion, so even though I might not relish the thought of playing Beastmen in Total War Warhammer 1 or Skaven in Total War Warhammer 2, I'll still play their campaigns to completion and always on Very Hard difficulty, at some point. I'm most interested in playing a mp campaign, since I've done that before with other Total War games, like Shogun 2 and Rome, and found the experience to be generally good time, especially when you do it with someone you've already had some amount of contact with instead of a random stranger from the game servers who just happened to join your game or host one himself.

Awards

21 hours ago, Barristan said:

That's one mighty patch...

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/tomb-kings-patch-notes

Also, from a starting campaign I watched of the Tomb Kings, they don't look easy to play. Look very weak at the start, could be a powerhouse in the late game.

Downloading.... I will fire up their campaign instantly..

As I played the TB in Warhammer Fantasy boardgame, I'm eager to try them out.

Really interesting how their magic will look like.

oooh, it's

Christmas all over again!!

Hehe, gotta love it. I got the expansion as well but I still have so many races to play I won't try them just yet. After spending a lot of my childhood/teenage years reading White Dwarf and looking at these armies I could never play, these games are nothing short of awesome.

In my campaign, some funny stuff is happening. Tyrion is litterally demolishing the Darkies and conquering a huge territory. Can the AI win the campaign in ME I wonder. Bretonnia has taken a lot of the Norse provinces, which I find hilarious. I've just stormed Skavenblight and Miragliano. My next target is likely the Woodies, who don't like me much. I've also sent an army in the desert to fight Mors and raze as much as possible. I wonder if they will survive.

I'm the same as Alessus in that i think a MP Campaign would be great fun. The difficulty though is finding someone who has similar availability as yourself (a tall order for me given my timezone, work and family commitments). So i have never tried it myself and if i were to, it wouldn't be with a random person, but rather someone from this forum or who i've played other games with.

That's why i have only ever played one-off MP matches up to now. Similar to campaign, you can slow down or speed up battles, however I believe its only the person that created the match that can control this. If anyone is interested in a MP match and you see me online, just ping me. I definitely recommend trying MP as its much more fun with someone else along and you can always do co-op vs AI if your not confident. The only thing i dont like about MP battles is that the chat interface isn't very good imo and therefore limits ability to communicate during the battle.

I'm still a bit miffed that they haven't actually made Kislev their own faction, but decided that the Northman barbarians needed to be made that, considering they already were a mainstay of the Chaos armies, but ho hum. Have only managed to play about 30 turns in Settras campaign and so far, Savage Orcs have been a bane, because I'm not used to playing with fodder infantry units, because I haven't played a lot of Skaven either and the Lizardmen always have some Saurii to make the backbone for the army.

Awards

Completed a short victory T172 on my ME campaign with Teclis, before Archaon arrived. I ended up holding Miragliano, Skavenblight, the Oak of Ages and Khemri myself, Lothern, Naggaroth, Karaz-a-Karak and Couronne through alliances. Queek was sneaky to deal with as he sent an army to my home while I was crushing him in the desert and took my only unwalled settlement, then manage to destroy the rescue army I hastily threw together (ambushed it with three times my numbers, I did underestimate him big time).

Really good campaign. I like the starting location, which gives a lot of tactical options and different ennemies to fight, and the High Elf reliance on trade and diplomacy makes it really interesting. I'm not sure the events bringing influence are sensibly balanced but a Noble can give you 6 per turn in the late game. Also, Loremaster with Training maxed out is ridiculously powerful.

Now back to TWW1 to try VC, probably with Mannfred. As I love my artillery and range, I'm not sure I will like them enough for a long ME campaign, and I want to see the cutscenes. Having the settlements skins change to your own faction when you take them is another plus, particularly when playing Vampires I feel.

Also watch out for Empire Hellstorm Rocket Batteries. The AI, at Very Hard anyway, seems to like keeping a tight guard on it's more expensive artilery pieces, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to get something like a bat swarm over to take them out. And if you send in a bigger flying monster, then you really need to commit to it, because the other ranged units, especially handgunners, will make mince meat of them usually if they concentrate their volleys, which the AI tend to also do, when it's not just a question of ranged unit, vs ranged unit.

Awards

Im very confused regarding siege rules.

It reads control the center to win a siege or kill the enemies.

So facing Dark elfs and all the crossbows which hurt my dear bony friends in a bad way. I made a cleaver move.

Split up my force one main force to draw attention and one invasion force far tp the right.. Two elite guards and one archer unit and my tomb king lord 'secondary' lord with them.

Now the earlier battle the turn before the siege was costly but was won.. So both forces was badly damaged. 

So I got in and took the square so the icon showed I controlled the center...

Getting a massive leader ship boost...

Hmm was this not a winner for the siege.. Controlling the center..

Hmm

And now AI was disturbed throwing the units to chase me off.

And I could not really encounter that.. Throwing all I had on the walls.. 

But I stayed with my troops and throw my lord on the ranged dudes who would eat up what I controlled the city with.

Now they took back the control and short after that I had entered the city with all my troops.. And then I got.. 'You are soon winning this'... So I lost control and short after I won the siege while trying to regain control.. Which I did not manage because I won short after..

But the question remains...

How do I win a sige and on what terms.

I do not understand as I would have won quite early.. If it was about controlling the center.

There were no timer either saying.. Control it 5 more minutes etc.. Just your in control.. Nothing more.

What is the rules?

Would anyone know?

How is it in tw wh1?