What Are You Watching? - Film & Tv Recommendations

Rymdkejsaren

It's paid by Netflix but the production studio is vox media, the people behind https://www.vox.com/. It's a different kind of news and opinion site started by Ezra Klein and Matthew Iglesias. Ezra was in charge of the "wonk" section of the Washington post and decided to go on his own. 

Giri/Haji on iPlayer and BBC2.

Japanese detective is sent to the UK on the sly to solve the murder of a Japanese banker.  I'm 3 of 8 episodes in and it's really watchable.  It's certainly stylish and feels like someone hit Guy Ritchie with Tarantino's love of Japan.

Awards

• 2 weeks later...

Oh. I watched Euphoria.

It's like, the best series I've seen in a long time -- that I don't know if I can recommend. It's a raw depiction of love, sex, drug abuse, friendship, and mental illness, all involving high school kids, and it will crack up your rib cage, rip out your emotions, and curbstomp them.

The performances are amazing, with young actors taking on incredibly challenging roles. I found very few flaws with the production overall. It even has an nod to The Wire, which I found appropriate as I feel this is another series that redefines what can be done on TV.

Heinlein said that "politics is sports for grown ups" and I have to admit am becoming addicted to all this show around the impeachment with daily live streams through youtube. It's like a show created by Iannucci crossing paths with Sorkin and just enough budget for amateur actors. Far better than the other political running shows like Brexit or Procés. 

Just finished Succession (season 1 and 2), which I would classify as satirical drama-comedy, perhaps? It's funny, but in an awkward and uncomfortable way, yet it's touching in ways you don't expect -- pretty much every single person in it is horrible, yet you feel for nearly every one of them at some point. It has some staggeringly good performances; Kieran Culkin probably topping the list as a bratty, over-the-line, entitled but self-aware rich kid. And it has some seriously good storytelling.

Very much recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps never again, those guys got old at some point.

And, as I am here, I might as well start filling the distinct lack of anime, good and terribly bad:

I recently replayed Sekiro after letting my skills from 1st playthrough rust a little. One thing let to the other and I decided celebrate the game by rewatching Ninja Scroll, good or at least above mediocre film from 1993 with a proper fast paced adventure, creative ninja powers (that inspired Naruto, for you casuals), nice dark atmosphere, decent dub and general lack of complaint-worthy stuff. It basically goes trough all the clichés but with enough style, self-confidence and lack of humour about it that they can be taken seriously and thus work in a manner that made them clichés to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_Scroll

Trailer (warning: some nudity) 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm watching it. It's a disaster on so many levels. The casting is mostly awful, starting with Henry Cavill as Gerart, giving it the air of an SNL sketch. The effects are mediocre and it clearly didn't have a particularly big budget. Some of the writing is just bad.

But there are good bits, and somehow it's managed to keep me interested with it's overarching narrative. If you're looking for something with the feel of the games, or even the books, then this isn't it, in my opinion. But it does have a certain something that redeems it. I'll be damned if I know what it is.

A lot of people like it, mind you, but I doubt they'd like it half as much if it wasn't an IP they loved from somewhere else. The critics are much less impressed. I'm more with them.

21 minutes ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I'm watching it. It's a disaster on so many levels. The casting is mostly awful, starting with Henry Cavill as Gerart, giving it the air of an SNL sketch. The effects are mediocre and it clearly didn't have a particularly big budget. Some of the writing is just bad.

It had a budget of 10 millions per episode, that's about 50% higher budget than the first season of Game of Thrones. It has many flaws, but can't say they can be blamed on a low budget.

Also, i am expecting a lawsuit from Tom Hardy because Cavill's grunts are clearly stolen from Taboo.