What Are You Watching? - Film & Tv Recommendations

Rymdkejsaren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, Kia Sidhe said:

Love GITS Anime. YT was the only way to find Innocence, & it´s free.

As someone who gets called weeb to another, have you watched GITS SAC_2045's first season yet and what's your opinion if you have? People I know have been surprisingly slow to get to it despite it being on Netflix.

Also, to keep anime train rolling, I recently re-re-re(-re?) watched Revolutionary Girl Utena. I usually dislike symbolism, because it is done without good aesthetics to back it up or because artist thinks shallow allegories are good symbolism; lucky for me Utena is so deep that I haven't met a two identical conclusions about it and artistic enough that it doesn't need to be understood to be enjoyed.

@Bouffon
I´m not really a weeb, a good movie is a good movie or serie. Same as with music. But that´s all about personal taste. No Netflix for me, is it any good in the Anime section?

I got this game Cloudpunk recently, which is not yet fully developed, so I haven´t played it yet. So Cloudpunk, Blade Runner, GITS.

"Time of Eve" is a cute one that is based around Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics", but is also about outsiders, loneliness, emptiness.

Goblin Slayer is another funny one. If you ever played paper/pen fantasy RPG, you´ll get a giggle. Although some scenes might be disturbing.

Awards

1 hour ago, Kia Sidhe said:

I´m not really a weeb

Nor am I, but asshats call me one. I used the term jokingly, if you didn't notice.

Anyway, Netflix has started distributing some anime in recent years. Aside from your usual suspects like Pokemon etc. they have at least Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 to which I referred (and likely olders Stand Alone Complexes as well), Evangelion, FMA, One Punch, Gurren Lagan, Kill la Kill, Your Lie in April and Guilty Crown, just to list some good or at least decent series and to skip the movies.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"Stalker" - Some nostalgia from the eastern block, filmed somewhere around a nuclear power plant in Balticum I belive. About everybody involved in the movie got ill & some died. Beware of The Zone...

Edited by Kia Sidhe

Awards

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Doomy77 said:

Some shows are on Netflix and Amazon though this may also depend on your country. 

Sadly most of those I want are on HBO Max that is only in USA (we got here HBO Go that is badly done app) or on BBC iplayer.

Maybe I need to move to Scotland for couple of months to watch everything I want ;)

1 hour ago, Gobas said:

Sadly most of those I want are on HBO Max that is only in USA (we got here HBO Go that is badly done app) or on BBC iplayer.

Maybe I need to move to Scotland for couple of months to watch everything I want ;)

I have a Now TV sub which gives me some HBO shows, Watchmen and Lovecraft Country being two such. 

Looks like you’d need a VPN though.

It's ridiculous what an absolute mess it is to get hold of various shows today if you want to go about it legally. I don't condone pirating of creative property, but at the same time it's not strange that people do so when the legal options are a magnitude more complicated or even unavailable. It's my firm belief that when there's a quality, simple to use, and easily accessible solution people are happy to pay -- and the ones who won't were never going to anyway.

Anyway, I can recommend Lovecraft Country, which I can only describe as a pulpy, anti-racist fever dream. 

Queen’s Gambit on Netflix is well worth a watch. I used to play in a lot of amateur chess tournaments and was an avid reader of chess history and follower of the professional chess scene for a number of years. It’s rare to see a work of fiction capture that world so well. It’s by the creator of Godless, which is another good reason to watch it!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Penny Dreadful. Some of the plot twists were easily predicted but there were several great performances, not least from Billie Piper who was totally different from her Doctor Who character and displayed real acting chops. Eva Green as the lead character  also endured multiple character and physical transformations - stirring stuff. Recommended despite some predictability.

Went through Britannia S1 and 2. It's a quirky mix of historical drama cheeky piss-taking that doesn't take itself seriously yet still manages to deliver some good dramatic moments, particularly in season 2 when I feel the show and the actors both have grown. Just don't go in thinking you're about to watch a serious historical drama, because that it ain't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Bouffon said:

As someone who gets called weeb to another, have you watched GITS SAC_2045's first season yet and what's your opinion if you have? People I know have been surprisingly slow to get to it despite it being on Netflix.

I´ve watched it finally, but sadly it isn´t complete yet. My biggest problem is to accept that the main character Major now turned into a "Loli" childgirl. I´m not sure if the new characters introduced is very helpful either, just some comic relief, & somewhat hysterically childish.
I can accept 3D animations since that´s probably the future, they can very easily reuse scenes, enviroment & areas. But  some scenes & the characters still looks too clean & perfect. They tried to get it dirty, but the characters & some scenes are just too clinical "perfect" & not very dystopian at all.

The story though is very promising.

Awards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, Rymdkejsaren said:

I can very much recommend Tales From The Loop. It's a little bit of Stranger Things, a little bit of Fargo, and a lot of Simon Stålenhag's art and stories (which it is based on):

2D78wAC.jpg

Just finished this. Loved it. Felt like a poetic version of the old Twilight Zone episodes. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...