What Are You Watching? - Film & Tv Recommendations

Rymdkejsaren

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, Doomy said:

I'm not really a big anime person but I'm thoroughly enjoying Death Note at the moment. It's basically a battle of wits between a supernaturally-gifted serial killer and the genius investigator trying to catch him.

I just started Death Note recently....needed too because I named an undead team after most evil anime characters and one of the blitzers was Light. So research was needed.

Also I really enjoyed Berserk, I think they only have the first one on Netflix but it was pretty good. I think it is a trilogy of movies, but you can do the English dub on Netflix. (it is also a comic I think)

I don't know if anyone has done this yet,  but a friend got me hooked on a YouTube show called "If The Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device".  It's starts good, and then picks up steam from there.   If you don't mind language or innuendo,  it's hilarious for 40K fans.

I've seen the two seasons outs of Travelers, I quite enjoyed it. I didn't think it was brilliant but definitely worth watching.

I am watching Leftovers, too, though I haven't started season 3 yet. There are a fair few running shows I'd rate higher (Fargo springs to mind), but it's certainly interesting. I've written about it here before, but I feel it's got a bit too much of Lost in it, i.e. it's just mysterious and there's no real plot beneath it. We'll see as it wraps up, S3 is the final one.

42 minutes ago, Doomy said:

Noice. I had just bought a couple of the paperback collections (Search/Destroy Agency Files). So fun to see them "in the wave" right now.

Looking pretty good based on the spoiler picture. :)

Awards

23 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I've seen the two seasons outs of Travelers, I quite enjoyed it. I didn't think it was brilliant but definitely worth watching.

I am watching Leftovers, too, though I haven't started season 3 yet. There are a fair few running shows I'd rate higher (Fargo springs to mind), but it's certainly interesting. I've written about it here before, but I feel it's got a bit too much of Lost in it, i.e. it's just mysterious and there's no real plot beneath it. We'll see as it wraps up, S3 is the final one.

Yes can see that point. I'm hopeful it doesn't 'do a lost'. Be interested to see what you think of s3.

• 1 month later...

Season 2 of Preacher is upon us and it's obvious they've nerfed the Saint of Killers. In the comics his bullets were 1. Always lethal and 2. Never missed.

Rule 2 is clearly going to be ignored.

Also, they have mad gore but nobody can say "fuck"? Assuming Herr Starr appears this season, without sexual perversion or masterful swearing we'll have Evil Patrick Stewart.

Awards

36 minutes ago, Doomy said:

Season 2 of Preacher is upon us and it's obvious they've nerfed the Saint of Killers. In the comics his bullets were 1. Always lethal and 2. Never missed.

Rule 2 is clearly going to be ignored.

Also, they have mad gore but nobody can say "fuck"? Assuming Herr Starr appears this season, without sexual perversion or masterful swearing we'll have Evil Patrick Stewart.

At least they are finally on the road, I'm hoping that improves things.

Yes can see that point. I'm hopeful it doesn't 'do a lost'. Be interested to see what you think of s3.

I found the finale tremendously disappointing.
Solid individual episodes. It didn't pull a 'lost' but I think it fumbled the finale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished watching a bizarre but interesting movie. The Bad Batch

I would recommend it when it is free to watch....keep an eye out for on demand in next month or so. Just check on the trailer...really strange like I spit on your grave meets mad max.

Actors: Suki Waterhouse, Jason Momoa, Keanu Reeves -and a very hidden Jim Carey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2017 at 11:12 PM, Doomy said:

The new Castlevania animation on Netflix is surprisingly good. Only four episodes though. Want more.

Eh. I watched the first three and found it wanting. Sad because visually it's pretty good.

Animation wise I discovered One Punch Man thanks to my wife and this is a must-watch.

Also watched the movie Chappie and damn that was a sweet one.

I don't know if this should go here or the music thread.

Edgar Wright has made the best possible videoclip to Bellbottoms from the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

6 minutes scene, I take it it's the opening? Is the 1st song on the tracklist of the OST. 

On 17.7.2017 at 9:25 PM, Smiling Tom said:

I don't know if this should go here or the music thread.

Edgar Wright has made the best possible videoclip to Bellbottoms from the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.

6 minutes scene, I take it it's the opening? Is the 1st song on the tracklist of the OST. 

I like the clip, that's some pretty cool driving. I'm tempted to go all "everything wrong with" on the script, though. Some pretty big inconsistencies in that (even if I grant them that all the physics checks out).

• 1 month later...

Just watched Death Note (the movie) on Netflix.  I'd never heard of it before and expected it to be horror trash but it was a very engaging story, far more interesting than I expected (although I admit my expectations were in the basement).  Having researched it a little afterwards turns out it's a successful manga, and there's actually an animated, subtitled, 30-episode series on Netflix too!  Unfortunately the film has been roundly panned by people familiar with the source material, and it might well have worked better as a series rather than a movie to give more time to the story.  I heard rumour it's the initiation of a series, which I will follow with interest if that comes about.

Watched Ep1 of Castlevania last night and will finish those 4 before I even consider diving into the animated Death Note...

Awards