What Are You Watching? - Film & Tv Recommendations

Rymdkejsaren

3 minutes ago, Doomy77 said:

I haven’t read the 2007 comic of The Boys, but I HAVE read Preacher and the TV show is incredibly loose as a Morrison adaptation, so I’m assuming we’re dealing with similar levels of fidelity.

Alan Moore has never endorsed any adaptation of his work because he’s a grumpy wizard. Who has now retired from the industry. Again.

Let’s hope the Mega City One TV show and the Rogue Trooper movie from Duncan Jones are good.

With regard to the latter, I’ll be upset if Rogue is not blue.

Well, Duncan is proving to be a hardcore fan and being quite open on his choices on twitter. If anything I dread that he might want to be too literal and fumble it like he did with the Warcraft movie. 

2 minutes ago, Smiling Tom said:

Well, Duncan is proving to be a hardcore fan and being quite open on his choices on twitter. If anything I dread that he might want to be too literal and fumble it like he did with the Warcraft movie. 

Fortunately Rogue Trooper does not have masses of lore like Warcraft. There’s an endless war between goodies and baddies, Rogue’s unit is betrayed and massacred, he goes to find the traitor general.

Even the comic’s continuity became a confusing mess once this storyline was resolved so there’s not huge amounts of canon to worry about.

1 minute ago, Smiling Tom said:

I'm confident he'll get it right. But then I recently watched again Moon with the excuse of the announcement of the 10 year 4k re-release and that movie is just perfect. 

I’ve not seen that yet. Guess what I’m gonna do right now.

Really hope that Rogue Trooper movie gets made! I used to be a huge 2000 AD fan and there are so many other great characters and stories that could be adapted from that material. The last Judge Dredd movie was actually half decent and I would love to see movies involving ABC Warriors, Bad Company, Strontium Dog, Slaine, etc.

I remember a story with a character called Chopper in an epic sky surfing race that could also be made into a move. With the current quality of CGI you could literally make any of those stories into decent movies (decent scripts obviously would be needed too)!

After 10 years of Marvel, I'm beginning to think I'm pretty much done with super hero stories. I'm honestly struggling to find them engaging.

That said, I did enjoy the portrayal of Mysterio in the newest Spiderman movie? I actually thought it was quite clever modern interpretation of his powers.

I'm also sick and tired of zombies, eve with Zombieland 2 looming. Zombieland was the film that honestly made me appreciate Emma Stone as an actress. Has anybody seen the Bill Murry zombie flick that has recently released?

So, I'm actually bored of the genres that have been a staple of my media consumption for my entire life. It's getting bad when you have to start watching romantic comedies, just to find new ideas...

Looks like the new trend will be fantasy-steam punk. By the end of the month there is something called Carnival Row that mixes together victorian England with fairies and satyrs being enclosed in a ghetto. with flying steam boats and all the lot. No clue if it will be interesting or not, but I think we are getting close to the jumping the shark of genres-mixing, tho one hopes it's just a way to plagiarize the argument of SAGA. But hey, a dystopian pseudo-fascist set up in the gilded age, I am sure they are not trying to shove some parallelisms with the present days, here. Wink wink. 

But anyway, calling it a trend because it's been announced that Joss Whedon goes back to TV to create some sort of League of the Extraordinary Ladies. So, again, victorian fantasy set up but this time with female superheroes. His Dark Materials gets adapted by HBO, too and the trailer looks spectacular. 

There is room for the good, non fantasy stuff. Mindhunter season 1 was great and the second season is around the corner. 

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Mindhunter S2, a couple of episodes in and it's still damn good TV, though I miss Ed Kemper.

Also I went through Final Space, an animated series which is good fun and also quite emotional/dramatic at the same time (though I think they should be nicer to KVN). Season 1 was really good but 2 didn't quite carry the torch.

I've also started watching The Umbrella Academy for the sole reason that Cameron Britton is in it (who does an extraordinary job as Ed Kemper in Mindhunter), but I'm only 1 episode in so too early to say anything.

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:38 PM, Doomy77 said:

On my second episode of Carnival Row, Amazon’s new Victorian crime drama/fantasy mashup. Really enjoying it so far.

Just finished this. The premise isn't amazing but the storytelling is gorgeous, particularly from ep 3 and beyond. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some decent stuff in that movie (Tom Waits, anyone?) even though the only thing anyone remembers is Keanu's accent. 

"Explained" on Netflix is surprisingly moreish. It's just 20-minute mini-documentaries on subjects as diverse as the female orgasm and E-Sports. I think I like it as I watch tons of similar videos on YouTube.

1 minute ago, Doomy77 said:

There was some decent stuff in that movie (Tom Waits, anyone?) even though the only thing anyone remembers is Keanu's accent. 

It was the last "big" Hollywood movie to be made without a lot of digital effects, if I´m not mistaken. I think they made it on purpose. Bless Coppola, he is/was an artist. Rumble Fish, low budget, is not well known, but the Photograph is stunning.

Awards

39 minutes ago, Doomy77 said:

"Explained" on Netflix is surprisingly moreish. It's just 20-minute mini-documentaries on subjects as diverse as the female orgasm and E-Sports. I think I like it as I watch tons of similar videos on YouTube.

Explained are the videos from vox.com, right? Yeah, this lot is good.