Is rerolling the catch on a Blitz event considered an exploit and a breach of OCC rules?

Al Bundy

In BB2 there is a current bug that allows using a team reroll to catch the landing ball on a Blitz kickoff event, after the defending player has ended their bonus turn, which is not supposed to be able to be used, and many players are unaware of this being a bug. The "Cheats and Exploits" section warns against  cheating, abusing client functions, or using exploits to gain an unfair advantage, but does not refer specifically to this bug. Is this considered an illegal exploit in OCC? Other leagues for example do consider it so and specifically list this as an example of an exploit. What happens if a coach that doesn't know about it does it?

Edited by Al Bundy

Just now, Pidpad said:

A coach should always know the rules of the league he's playing in. Not knowing a particular leagues rules isn't an excuse.

As for our actual rule for that, I'll get back to you :D

I meant a coach that doesn't know that this is an exploit/bug, since it is not specifically listed in the OCC rules as an exploit. :D

1 minute ago, Kingsrule77 said:

It seems odd that you can't reroll the catch... but I guess the ball doesn't technically land on the blitzing teams turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just like you can't reroll a scatter on an opponent's turn, or like you can't reroll the catch after a High Kick or whenever your player is standing under it for example.

Just like you can't reroll a scatter on an opponent's turn, or like you can't reroll the catch after a High Kick or whenever your player is standing under it for example.

Yeah. It like the kickoff is kinda 'no ones turn'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont believe this is a bug. According to the rules for a Blitz, it says the kicking team may use team re-rolls during a blitz.

or is it. Under the section for kick off table it says A team reroll may not be used for any catch roll when the ball lands: however, players may use the Catch or Pro skill to re-roll the catch roll.

Edited by zulu

@zulu You can indeed use team rerolls during a blitz, but the catch roll does not happen during the blitz, that's why you're not supposed to be able to reroll it, both because it's not your turn anymore, and because in general you can't reroll catches when it's the kick off.

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

@zulu You can indeed use team rerolls during a blitz, but the catch roll does not happen during the blitz, that's why you're not supposed to be able to reroll it, both because it's not your turn anymore, and because in general you can't reroll catches when it's the kick off.

Unless of course you have the Catch or pro skill.

As this thread exists, I'd probably better bring up another 'feature' that's been found (but the twitch community will probably disown me for mentioning it..). Another rare one, but if there is an opponent prone in or next to their own endzone, when you path out the ballcarrier route in to score you can actually move into the endzone and foul them. You will still score, the foul will process (along with any injury inflicted) but it is impossible for the fouler to get sent off.

Edited by dynamoDes

27 minutes ago, dynamoDes said:

As this thread exists, I'd probably better bring up another 'feature' that's been found (but the twitch community will probably disown me for mentioning it..). Another rare one, but if there is an opponent in or next to their own endzone, when you path out the ballcarrier route in to score you can actually move into the endzone and foul them. You will still score, the foul will process (along with any injury inflicted) but it is impossible for the fouler to get sent off.

Thank you for letting us know. I will start making a list of differences/exploitable mechanics and we'll discuss and post the OCC stance on them.

On 4/3/2017 at 10:04 PM, Pidpad said:

To answer the question: It'll be allowed for now. It's a fairly uncommon thing.

Yes, we know it's not according to the blood bowl rulebook, but neither is fend being mandatory, so meh :P

Yeah, although the difference between that reroll and Fend being mandatory is that Cyanide consider the former a bug and the latter intended behaviour.

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Yeah, although the difference between that reroll and Fend being mandatory is that Cyanide consider the former a bug and the latter intended behaviour.

Both are against the game rules. It does not matter if Cyanide says it is intended or not.

1 hour ago, Mongloom said:

Both are against the game rules. It does not matter if Cyanide says it is intended or not.

Well, that's not really accurate.  By game rules we have to assume we're talking about BB2, since that's the game we're actually playing.  The differences between CRP and BB2 is a different discussion.

The OCC could make a rule that a coach isn't allowed to use a team reroll for catching a kickoff on a blitz.  They haven't, but they could.  The OCC could not make a rule about Fend being mandatory or not because we have no control over that.

Exactly, skills being mandatory is kind of like a BB2 house rule, whereas rerolling the catch on a blitz is not, it is a bug, and it is also a bug that a conscious player can avoid, whilst some other bugs aren't, such as the wizard being stronger than it is supposed to be in BB2.

17 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Exactly, skills being mandatory is kind of like a BB2 house rule, whereas rerolling the catch on a blitz is not, it is a bug, and it is also a bug that a conscious player can avoid, whilst some other bugs aren't, such as the wizard being stronger than it is supposed to be in BB2.

On the other hand, if the league commissioners say that it is allowed, then it is a house rule that it is allowed and just as valid.

Plus it's easier to understand for people who can't learn the rules. ;)

Awards

I had never even known this was a thing until I read this thread- of course it happens in my match vs Brotherkane. Nuffle did not like my flaunting of the rules, so I caught the ball on the reroll, but on the sideline, so BK was able to dodge in and surf me, eventually scoring.

Lesson learned.