A Fling and a Prayer - Dirty Fockers Team Blog

Larkstar

Think I'm going to keep these brief to catch up.  

MD 8 vs Bleak House - Choas Dwarves - 1 to 1 Draw

The Chef was amazing, stealing 5 out of 6 RRs.  However, Morg and Deeproot were a big let down.  Neither did any damage until turn 16! Probably a fair result, as I believe both coaches felt betrayed by our rolling.  Neither of us had great dice, and in fact were both Nuffled at certain points during the match.  On a positive note, we managed to escape from yet another Claw team without any serious damage.  I'll take it!

MD 9 vs Quantum - Necro - 1 to 1 Draw

Then to finish up the season, the Chef steals 1 out of 6 RRs!  F-you Chef!  RK ended up trimming his TV, leaving the Fockers with ONLY 260k of inducements!  I decided to try and get as much value as I could from my Nuffle's Altar by choosing the Chef, Willow (just 100k) and Puggy (just 90k).  Rebuking Zara hurt my heart, but my decision was almost instantly validated by an early Puggy punch to cause a KO and then THREE more Cas between he and Willow throughout the match!  Similar to week 8, I think the result was fair as both coaches probably felt betrayed by the dice multiple times.  And once again, we escaped without any serious damage.

Now onto the Season 8 Wrap Up!!!

Well, what can I say about this season?  The Dirty Fockers finish up at 5W-2D-2L on 17 points and are guaranteed to finish no lower than 3rd in the Division 2A!  That means Halflings are going to Division 1!  I'm amazed, shocked, proud and scared to hell all at the same time.  =)

This was a really, really weird season.  I feel as if I had pretty solid dice for most of my matches, but then I look at the stats and they tell a different story.  For example, my two Tress combined for just FOUR Cas during the season (2 each).  Absolutely pathetic.  By comparison, Deeproot was hired 6 times and caused 4 Cas while Morg was hired 4 times and caused 3 Cas (all in one match!).  I know there's more to the story than JUST casualties caused, but I can't help but feel Morg was a big let down this season.  Outside his single superstar performance, he just didn't live up to his 430k price tag (380k for home matches).  I'm going to have to rethink if/when I hire him going forward.  Zara was quite solid, but failed to have any standout matches.  Bertha... Bertha will never be mentioned here again!  Willow actually proved very useful in the 3 matches she played.  And Puggy's lone appearance was terrific in our season finale.  The Chef stole 22 out of 54 RRs on the season, so 5 RRs less than he should have.  I didn't take any Bribes and Babes were hit or miss.

While we only gained 3 levels for the entire season (so sad), all of our key players are still in place!  The Guard/Grab Tree picked up Break Tackle but might be too valuable to fire in Division 1.  The MV6 AG4 Block/Sure Feet Fling learned Sprint and is my favorite thing in the world!  Our Block Fling leveled recently for +MV.  So another nice MV 6 Block Fling.  The Jump Up/Block/Break Tackle Tree remains the rock of the LOS.  And the Dirty Player/Sneaky Git Fling played in 8 out of 9 matches despite having a Niggle!  He was awesome... when he wasn't getting ejected.  I'm going to think long and hard about hiring more Bribes next season.  He's such a great weapon to have, but I'm pretty sure he got to throw more than 2 fouls exactly once all season.  

But I can't complain.  It was simply an incredible and enjoyable season.  I expect Division 1 to be a much different story.  I'll be among the top 30 teams in all of the OCC!  I'm not quite sure we deserve that honor, but hopefully we'll continue to surprise a few coaches!  See you all in a few weeks!

S4 Division 6F : 4 Wins, 4 Draws, 1 Loss - 16 points 3rd 

S5 Division 4C: 2 Wins, 6 Draws, 1 Loss - 12 points 6th

S6 Division 3A: 3 Wins, 1 Draw, 5 Losses - 10 points 7th

S8 Division 2A: 5 Wins, 2 Draws, 2 Losses - 17 points 3rd

Career: 14 Wins, 13 Draws, 9 Losses

Edited by Larkstar

• 2 weeks later...

Tier 1 1B

• :orc:  Keith Carr - Diced to death fc - Orc - -
  • :delf:  Galenth - Lords and Ladies - Dark Elf - -
  • :skaven:  Orielensis - Famouse - Skaven - -
  • :orc:  Bärserk - Bash Brotherz - Orc - -
  • :delf:  Rhúnon - Potato Plays - Dark Elf - -
  • :chaos:  Jester77 - Chaotic Stormtroopers - Chaos - -
  • :chaos:  Waleed - Do or Die... - Chaos - -
  • :orc:  Bill-BJJ - Rickson by Armbar - Orc - -
  • :vamps:  Bantha - The Vampires Strike Back - Vampire - -
  • :flings:  Larkstar - Dirty Fockers - Halfling -

Here is what we are up against for Season 9!  Let's try to look at the positives!  Zero Nurgle.  Zero Dwarves.  Zero Wood Elves.  Zero Amazons!  So that's... something.  =)  In Division 1 there are never any walk-over teams anyway... until the Fockers arrived that is!  But I'm going to try my best.  My key players are perfect for what they do, and they've been successful thus far!  As, it will likely come down to how we use the Inducements.  I'll be looking for a better performance from the Chef, and I'll wager there will be a few matchups Morg will get a call.  But I also see more Wizards and Bribes in our future as we look to gain the most bang for the buck!

You will have to wait, my friend.  The OTHER Chaos team has been chosen as our Week 1 opponent!  But before we get to the matchup, let us first bow our heads to thank Nuffle for once again giving the Fockers 6 HOME MATCHES!  :D

So, a 1970 Chaos team.  13 Players. 4 Total Guard.  4 Total Tackle.  His ST 5 Warrior with Tents and Stand Firm will be a problem.  Just 2 Claw, but he doesn't really need more than that against me.  No Dodge, but 3 Two Heads players, one of which is an AG 4 Chaos Warrior with Tackle.  That's a potential Cage Diving problem right there.  I've lost my last 3 matches against Chaos.  Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this.  =)

Let's talk about Morg.  I've been souring on Morg lately, and I'm trying to figure out why.  I think it comes down to this; if he's not causing damage, what exactly does he bring to the team?  The 3 Dice Blocks are great, but often you have to settle for 2 Dice.  Those blocks are usually pretty stressful, since you really don't want to have to Reroll them.  Additionally, I find myself having to "protect" Morg quite a bit against bash heavy teams.  A 430k player isn't someone you want to sacrifice, or leave in the open.  I'm not going to use him to mark players, or as a road block, or even to throw team mate.  So he's basically a pretty one dimensional blitzer... for 430k.  So I'm left wondering if Morg is best used against elves and other fast moving teams when you don't have to protect him and his 6 MV means more.  This is all building to my Inducement options for the week!  So with this in mind...

We get to start off at home!  Here are my early Inducement thoughts:

1. Chef, Deeproot, Morg, and a Bribe add up to 830k.  

2. I could replace Morg with Zara and a Wizard for basically the same price.  

3. Then there's this crazy idea:  Chef, Deeproot, Willow, Wizard, 2 Bribes, and a Babe. 

I'm very much leaning towards option 3.  It feels as if it might provide more "control" over the match.  Positioning control.  Wizard control.  Fouling control.  I could even drop a Bribe to Merc a Halfling (15 total players) and spend 10k from my bank to get a second Babe.  I'll continue to mull it over leading up to the match.  

7 hours ago, Tys123 said:

Do you not have the cash to go up to 14 players? I always want 16 players for each game.

If you go for option 3 I would take Puggy over Willow.

Chaos can knock down ST4 nearly as easy as ST3 and willow doesn't have blodge.

Morg is less useful due to the 2 claw so I would probably go for option 2.

I do have just enough, and I thought about it.  I tend to keep at 12 or 13 rostered players, usually to maximize inducements.  But more players would support my fouling efforts.  Definitely something to think about.  

Willow also doesn't have Stunty, and comes with Thick Skull.  I just find Puggy to be a liability with so much Tackle about.  But yeah, if I wanted a mini-blitzer, he would be the way to go.  Willow's role would be more to muck things up and get in the way.  

But I think I hear you.  Block is so important for this team.  Zara is very solid against everyone, especially at 220k.  

So Option #4 - Buy to 13 players and take Chef, Deeproot, Zara, Wizard and Bribe for 820k.  =)

Result was a 1-1 draw, which I think is amazing considering my luck and his Blitz! on my drive.   But my Superstar Fling is Dead.  I used the Apoth to bring back a BH Tree in the 1st Half.  I'd do it again, but it's pretty shitty.  8 more matches without a game changing player is going to be miserable and bleak.  

:gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted::gutted:

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to come back to this for an update, but this season has been a tough pill to swallow.  The loss of Cruel Focker (MV 6 AG 4 WonderFling) has pretty much sucked all the potential out of this team.  Teams can readily attack our cages and screens with little worry of a thrown Halfling escaping for a score, or simply escaping period.  Star Players have largely failed to pick up the slack.  The Trees have improved a bit, but going from 4 combined Cas to 6 won't exactly move the needle.  We sit at 2-2-4 with three of those losses being 0-3 walkovers where every possible thing that could go wrong has gone wrong. On the whole, we've only scored 6 TDs.  To the other end of the spectrum, our 2 wins were strongly aided by Nuffle themselves, with tactics not nearly playing as big a roll as I'd like to see.  I'm sad to say most of this season simply hasn't been fun. 

However, we always try to look on the bright side of things around here, so let's see what we can find...

Taking away the 9 TDs from those three Nuffle-infested losses, we've only given up 3 TDs in our other 5 matches, with a 2-2-1 record.  That's, well, that's pretty darn good.  We have a Block/Jump Up/Break Tackle Tree on 49 SPPs.  We also have a MV 6/Block Halfling on 29 SPPs.   If/when they level, no matter the skills acquired,, they are solid to excellent players.  But are they enough to build around going forward?  

The simple fact, I believe, is that we've reached a point where Inducements are failing to make the team as competitive as in season's past.  All Elves now have Blodge and everyone else has heavy Guard.  Team Rerolls are now typically rolled to ensure success (greed) than to save from failures, meaning our best Inducement isn't nearly as effective.  The commitment we've made to fouling (currently leading the Dirty Git competition in Div 1) really only made a difference in a single match.  

So, what do we do?  Demotion to Div 2 is likely, so trying to rebuild and have another go at Div 1 is on the table.  But I expect we will still suffer from the same problems currently infecting the team.  Waiting around for another AG 4 Fling to appear seems like hoping for hope. Regardless, I think the team has probably realistically reached its peak by getting to Div 1.  There isn't any player even close to Superstar (let alone Legend) so I'm not really sure what I'm playing for. 

There is yet one MD left to play, but it's very possible we are looking at the swan song of the Dirty Fockers.  

Swans are the worst.

It's been fun following the team, even though I think Halflings are a bunch of scummy midgets who should get a pedicure sooner rather than later. However, I hate Chaos, Nurgle, Dark Elves and all the other non-Stunty teams much more, so I was pretty much always rooting for you.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

MD 9 and I managed a very solid 1-1 Draw against a Dark Elf team who needed a win to promote to the Championship.  I am quite the Focker.  :P  We were quite lucky with the AV and Injury Rolls taken, but quite unlucky with our Fouls... again!  I must have thrown 8 fouls with zero removals and 3 ejections.  The Trees each caused a Cas though, which was nice to see.  For those of you who watched me play Sage in the ReBBL playoffs, Morg once again had a chance to score a TD but failed on the final Go For It!  I swear to Nuffle!!!  :gutted:

We leveled both of our stars, and predictably they both rolled normals.  Which is ok, as Grab and Sure Feet suit them well.  But are they enough to keep the team going?  I guess I have about 20 hours to decide.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Focker's 5th season ended up being their worst to date.  But considering it happened in Division 1 it's not nearly as discouraging as it sounds.  However, 8 match days later, the loss of our amazing Halfling star still haunts the team.  Fat Focker is doing his best to pick up the slack with a 6-2-3-6 Block, Sure Feet stat line.  For the time being, our hopes and dreams will rest on his ability to roll 3s!  Not ideal, but it's the best we've got.  

Now onto the elephant in the room.  Humongous Focker will be my first ever Piling On Treeman.  This isn't a "shits and giggles" skill choice.  Having Jump Up means the only time Piling On hurts his blocking efforts is if he remains or moves into base contact with another opposing player after the knockdown.  This assumes I've broken armor of course, which will be the primary trigger to use the skill.  I fully understand I won't be able to use it when he Takes Root, and accept I could go whole matches and never use Piling On.  I could have gone safe with Grab, or taken a different path with Multiple Block.  But I play Halflings as a heavy bash team, and having the ability to reroll key Armor of Injury rolls is a luxury Halfling teams just don't have.  Now I do.  We'll see how it works.

I might finally buy a 2nd Reroll.  I've skated on thin ice with just 1 since team creation.  It could be time to just accept the extra 60k of TV and buy the 2nd.  I'm going to see how the schedule plays out, but it seems like a good idea.  Doing so would reduce the bank to 10k and leave us with only 12 rostered players.  60/40 that I buy it at this point though.

The other big decision is what to do with Colossal Focker.  He's on 43 SPPs with 3 normal skills obtained.  His Guard is a very important cog for controlling the LOS.  Letting him get 8 SPPs only to roll another normal roll seems like such a waste.  So instead of a 2nd Reroll, I could fire and rehire a new Tree.  If you are willing to accept this wonky math, firing him and NOT buying a 2nd Reroll actually amounts to lowering our TV by 120k.  And that means I just induce a Reroll for 100k until I can build up my bank again.  40/60 that I take this route.  

With Season 10 (the 6th for the Fockers) right around the corner, I'm considering altering old strategies and exploring new ones to try to get the team back to division 1.  After all, you never get anywhere if you're just standing still!   =)

S4 Division 6F : 4 Wins, 4 Draws, 1 Loss - 16 points 3rd 

S5 Division 4C: 2 Wins, 6 Draws, 1 Loss - 12 points 6th

S6 Division 3A: 3 Wins, 1 Draw, 5 Losses - 10 points 7th

S8 Division 2A: 5 Wins, 2 Draws, 2 Losses - 17 points 3rd

S9 Division 1B: 2 Wins, 3 Draws, 4 Losses - 9 points 8th

Career: 16 Wins, 16 Draws, 13 Losses

Well, week 1 will be loss.  Why will it be a loss?  Because I'm playing a 12 player Dark Elf team at 2160k TV and somehow he has 15 Blodge Players!  I don't know how, but he does!  :P

If that wasn't bad enough he's also got a Wizard Stadium, meaning that I can't really cage.  He can either get a free shot at taking down a Treeman who many never stand back up, or can likely fireball multiple AV 6 players.  Yeeesh!  Further, it significantly reduces my Inducement advantage.  Without being able to spend 150k on a Wizard, I actually run out of crap to buy!  Currently I'm getting 1180k inducements.  

So, Morg (430), Zara (270), Chef (100), Babes (100), Bribe (100) STILL leaves me with 180k to spend... FFS!  I could get 2 Side Step Flings to annoy him.  Or one Side Step and one Sneaky Git? I might also grab that 2nd RR for 100k and just get a normal Loner Fling for Fouling.  

It might be just a "screw it" game and try to get a good jump start on the Dirty Git competition, because I have not a clue how to prepare for this match.  

• 2 weeks later...

So MD1, as it turns out, was in fact a loss.  But it was a close one at 0 - 1 and we were a few Throw Teammate Landings from scoring 3 different times!  Two attempts failed with a Reroll, and a 3rd attempt scattered to hit a random Dark Elf.   But it was a gutty effort by the team, and they did me proud.

Piling On was a tremendous belly flop!  With no real threat of being fouled in the 2nd half, I must have used it 5 or 6 times and the best it could deliver was a single KO!  The animation, in case you were wondering, shows the Treeman take a little bunny hop onto the downed player and then just fall over backwards.  It pretty humorous in its outlandish simplicity. 

1 hour ago, Larkstar said:

The animation, in case you were wondering, shows the Treeman take a little bunny hop onto the downed player and then just fall over backwards.  It pretty humorous in its outlandish simplicity. 

I think it was one of the only Piling On animations I hadn't seen yet.

Thank you for this gift to all of mankind.

MD 2 against Mongloom and his Khemri.  We were at his stadium, so normal Star prices meant we took Chef, Deeproot, Zara and spent 50k from the treasury to get a Wizard.  Pretty nice bang for the buck with Zara getting to reach her full potential.  We managed a very nice 8 turn drive during the 1st half, though we risked the stall by allowing a 4+, 4+, 3+ two-dice Frenzy blitz (by a non Tackle player) on our Blodge ball carrier, Fat Focker. I'd do it again, but it very nearly worked as we were bailed out by Double Skulls after one of the dodges required a Reroll.   1 - 0 at the half!

2nd half and Mongloom opted to take the Both Down rather than Reroll the:zBD::zBD::zAD: 3 dice block from a Guardian on a Fling.  Guardian gets KO'd while Fling is fine!  Good times.  =)  Complicating things was the fact Khemri had yet to try to pick up the ball!  Continuing the trend from last match, both attempts to stick the Throw Teammate landing fail.  But next turn, the Throw-Ra fails the pick up giving us another shot!  We make the 4+ Landing, we crush the 4+ pick up with the ball in one tackle zone, and breeze the 2+ GFI to score making it 2 - 0!  That, ladies and gentlecoaches is why you play Halflings.  :D

Khemri manage a pretty spectacular break away pass play, but even ST 4 AG 3 Blitz-Ras can't hide from a Wizard.  Successful Bolt and KO meant we could recover with wonder Fling Fat Focker in our own end zone and then go coast to coast to win 3-0!

On the whole, my dice were simply outstanding.  AND, we got our very first Piling On Casualty on turn 15!  One of the better performances in the history of the Dirty Focker franchise and lets us claim the top spot in Div 2A.  Even if it's only temporary.  ;)