Kislev Coach Support Group

J.J. Cash

unfortunately my last match will be an adminned win...so no shot at getting most deaths sustained EVER in the OCC2. that makes me sad. 

id also wouldve liked to be able to use a wizard once, but no.

the tale of the frogs ends on a silly low. I just know ill get some lvlups and they will be amazing, but the ogres are more than ready to gogogogogo!

I dunno, they look like better Humans to me.

Cons: Blitzers not starting with Block, 60k linos
Pros: your Catchers are AG4, you get a better big guy, you always have desperation leaps as an extra option

But that starting roster is awkward as hell to puzzle out. RIght now, I'm looking at 2 rerolls.

6 hours ago, Juriel said:

I dunno, they look like better Humans to me.

Cons: Blitzers not starting with Block, 60k linos
Pros: your Catchers are AG4, you get a better big guy, you always have desperation leaps as an extra option

But that starting roster is awkward as hell to puzzle out. RIght now, I'm looking at 2 rerolls.

The team has great potential, but they are always overpriced compared to where they are in development.  Having more blitzers exasperates that issue.  Having more catchers helps a lot in being able to win matches early on, though I guess if you can actually develop multiple blitzers it could work.

My plan was to start with 1 blitzer and buy a new one as soon as I got block on all the ones I have.  I never had two with block!  And I rarely had enough money to afford a blitzer anyway...

Oh yes, they're over-priced, no question about that. You can have a full team of almost every other race from the start, or you can have... half of a Kislev team, without any skills at that.

Still, they should have the long-term potential that Humans lack (but mostly I picked them because of the elf-hate potential). It's just tricky getting there, and I think you need to prioritize skills over stats, for getting up to speed and for TV's sake.

I must say, I'm curious how a team without bear or blitzers would do (the complete opposite of my approach). You'd be skaven with sturdier linerats (that can leap about), and you could right away start with 4 rerolls and 4 catchers, though you'd obviously have to hope for doubles for Guard/MB...

Edited by Juriel

19 minutes ago, Juriel said:

Oh yes, they're over-priced, no question about that. You can have a full team of almost every other race from the start, or you can have... half of a Kislev team, without any skills at that.

Still, they should have the long-term potential that Humans lack (but mostly I picked them because of the elf-hate potential). It's just tricky getting there, and I think you need to prioritize skills over stats, for getting up to speed and for TV's sake.

I must say, I'm curious how a team without bear or blitzers would do (the complete opposite of my approach). You'd be skaven with sturdier linerats (that can leap about), and you could right away start with 4 rerolls and 4 catchers, though you'd obviously have to hope for doubles for Guard/MB...

Where would you put the MB?  Guard on a catcher is a great thing, though if you do it before dodge or a blocking skill you're begging for him to never make it to 3 skills.  But MB?  LInemen want wrestle and strip ball or wrestle and tackle more than they want MB.  So you probably only take it on a lineman who gets a third skill and rolls a double.  Never happened for me!

I guess if you get a few wrestle lineman you might take it before strip ball or tackle on one of them.  But when you have catchers to protect the linemen don't make it that long.

I did have two STR4 wrestle linemen on my OCC team for awhile, and that was excellent until I lost them both lol.  In my opinion you really need the catchers to make the leaping defense work.  If you can't pick up the ball after you pop it out then what was the point?

Kislev are fun and full of decisions to make.  I guess you could say I play them more like slow leaping skaven, but I've seen other coaches play them bashier to success.

• 2 weeks later...

Compromise on all fronts! I went the full 1000 gold spent route, getting 1 bear, 1 blitzer, 3 catchers, 3 rerolls.

And I have taken, like, two practise matches to get used to BB2's interface.

My newbies will be facing newbie Chaos (equally bothdown-prolific!), then newbie High Elves (better than my dudes at everything!). A lot is riding on whether I take early casualties before getting an apo, not that apo ever does anything.

6 hours ago, Juriel said:

Compromise on all fronts! I went the full 1000 gold spent route, getting 1 bear, 1 blitzer, 3 catchers, 3 rerolls.

And I have taken, like, two practise matches to get used to BB2's interface.

My newbies will be facing newbie Chaos (equally bothdown-prolific!), then newbie High Elves (better than my dudes at everything!). A lot is riding on whether I take early casualties before getting an apo, not that apo ever does anything.

That's the starting roster I favor, and I think it gives you the best chance to win immediately.  Long term growth might favor getting SPP on blitzers, but I've never managed it.

But against other TV 1000 rosters you can get some casualties with the bear.  You just have to be careful with 3 RRs when you have no blocking skills, no ball handling skills, and no reroll skills at all!

First newbie game over, vs Chaos.

The bear managed to fail 53% of his Bonehead rolls. But after he came out of hibernation, he killed a goat, so maybe it was more like a Dragonball charge-up sequence that lasts for 3 episodes. I was 2 players up over my opponent for most of the game (another goat KOed himself earlier trying to dodge away from him), which is exactly why I picked the bear, even if it took him a while to get going.

I haven't played BB in ages now, so, uh, some curious decisions were made. Like forgetting to blitz in the early turns. Or especially leaving my ball-carrier exposed early in the game, as the leap to cover his behind failed... but I wasn't punished as the ball didn't go off the pitch. Then I kind of forgot to click blitz before leaping on T15, when I had their ball-carrier surrounded and could've scored a 3rd TD...

So I won 2-0. A Catcher leveled up, and now has Dodge, like a proper skink.

Edit: And I got 1 for my winnings, clicked reroll and wondered what happened when the number didn't change, and then grim reality dawned on me. So no apo for the 2nd game, thanks BB. At least it's just against newbie HE.

Edited by Juriel

Irresponsibly enough, my first real game in BB2 was also my first time playing Kislev at all. I just treated them as humans with an extra option, but then, I approach every team from the bashy angle.

It did feel nice to leap linemen to clear ground, from positions that would've necessitated dodging into tackle zones with regular players (or staying on the ground, or just accepting getting punched). It was a good little end of turn bonus. And scoring was immensely easier than on even Skaven, since instead of 2+ dodges, you just 2+ leap over them when it's time to go.

Defensively, I felt much like I felt playing Skaven. At least Kislev has the threat of a suicide 1d jump into the cage to harass with.

So... I was on here a while ago asking if taking a STR up on a blitzer was a good idea when I have so few skills.  I now have a STR 4 blitzer, a STR 4 catcher and... the STR 4 blitzer just rolled his second STR up.  

Do I take it?  My TV is ~1500 without it.  I don't think I do.  I can't think of a ball carrier I'd face regularly that I'd need 5 STR to take down.  I think I'd be much better suited with wrestle.  Since he has no other skills. 

Thoughts?

Awards

Speaking of Diving Tackle, my game vs newbie HE was eased much by the lone Blitzer, as my opponent forgetting about that skill led to two early turnovers.

And that's about the only thing that worked, in a deeply stupid game (that started with my Catcher double-one-ing on a dodge as my first action of the match on defense). It ended in my 1-0 win (the single GFI I needed to make it a more respectable 2-0 failed on t16, ofc), but I found myself still making dumb rookie mistakes (not planning everything out ahead of time, and thus leaving my Catchers easy to hit past a cage corner).

I was originally aiming for a 3-1 shootout, to get everyone more SPP, but rush begets waste... And I was getting admittedly annoyed by HE having the armor to just mark everyone and not have a worry in the world. At least I AV-broke a line-elf for that. And another Catcher levelled, so now I have two with Dodge. And I'm really glad I started with 3 of them, you really need every single one. And now I have an apo!

A game against Necros was going to be troublesome in the first place, what with the wolves being able to chase my ST2 Catchers where they want... And then the dice decided to be against me on basically everything, while Necros broke armor on every hit, and caused CASes on every second.

Just one of those games where it didn't matter what I do (not that I played well, but enh, I kind of lost when I optimistically chose to kick at the start). At least the just-bought apo saved a 2SPP lino from death, so the team is still intact! But, the lack of SPP will punish further games.

Bevan, my opponent, was good sport about it, and stopped fouling once my apo was spent. :p

Edited by Juriel

Game against Skaven was happy on all sides. Before the match, I was saying that if we finish on a tie, and both get some CAS SPP, without anyone getting seriously injured, I'll be glad - and that is exactly what we did.

I took half their team off the pitch, but they one-turned, so it all worked out. And true to form, my winnings roll was 1, once again, so I still cannot buy the 4th Catcher. That said, all my 3 Catchers now have Dodge, Blitzer has Block, all the linemen have some SPP so they're just waiting for the MVP to land on them, and...

My bear rolled a double-6. So what do I pick?