Copa Conmebowl

Thinking of playing in this tournament in early December in Uruguay: https://member.thenaf.net/index.php?module=NAF&type=tournaments&func=view&id=4312

Team cost is 1,100k and will most likely take Humans, because Tier 2 teams get 6 regular skills and a double, while Tier 1 teams only get 5 regular skills.

Ogre - Block

4 blitzers - 4 Guard (or 3 Guard and 1 Tackle if the meta has a lot of Dodge)

2 throwers 2 Block (or 1 Block and 1 Kick if the meta is very bash heavy)

1 catcher

4 linos

3 re-rolls

Apo

Thoughts?

Awards

Humans looks like a good choice.  Slight relative advantage over the normal 7+1 vs 6N (where humans are fine).   You lose the block catcher, but most of opposition gives up more than that.

I think the 2nd thrower is a trap.  The (mediocre) skill redundancy is likely less useful to a tourney winning run than RR control via staff.  

I'd rather take 4 guard blitzers and use the freed up 6th normal for a wrestle lino than take a tackle blitzer.

All fairly minor points tho (relative to coaching skill differential).

Awards

3 hours ago, Pidpad said:

3 Guard + Tackle on the blitzers. There will be wood and/or dark elves at every tournament along with ghouls.

I'd prefer block over kick on thrower #2

If I can get a good idea of team composition and see that enough teams have Dodge, then I'll give Tackle to one Blitzer for sure. If not then I'll likely just go with 4 Guards, as that is the more solid option in general.

1 hour ago, Dionysian said:

I think the 2nd thrower is a trap.  The (mediocre) skill redundancy is likely less useful to a tourney winning run than RR control via staff.  

I'd rather take 4 guard blitzers and use the freed up 6th normal for a wrestle lino than take a tackle blitzer.

I prefer having the redundancy of a second Thrower instead of a Wrestle Lino and FF or cheerleaders. Means you can cover the backfield better when receiving and I'd rather use all my linos as meat shields than having one as a pseudo-positional.

Awards

• 1 month later...

Having a rethink about this. One player on Tier 2 teams is allowed to take 2 skills. So it might make more sense to have a blitzer with 2 skills and to give Block to only one Thrower. That would mean 6 Block players onstead of 7, but would allow a better skill distribution on the blitzers. 

Not sure which of the following would be the most optimal combination for the blitzers, but it would also depend on the tournament meta. 

3 Guard and 1 Guard & Tackle

2 Guard, 1 Tackle and 1 Guard & Tackle

3 Guard and 1 MB & Tackle

First option is probably the safest in a balanced meta, while the second would be better in a heavy elf meta. Third one is also better against agile / hybrid teams, but caters to a more attrition style, while losing some flexibility in terms of who to blitz with. Thoughts?

Awards

• 1 month later...

Played the tournament in Montevideo on Saturday! Was going to share some photos, but can't get images to show up here at all anymore unfortunately.

It was the biggest ever Bloodbowl TT event in Latin America with 20 Coaches from Uruguay, Argentina, Chile and Mexico. After 4 gruelling rounds (4 games in one day is tiring!) I managed to come joint first on points with 3 wins and a draw, but Caio took first place on the tie breaks. I also won the best tier 2 team prize and most casualties with 18, so came away with a bunch of prizes! Really happy to have made the trip and hopefully it will be the first of many tournaments in South America in the near future.

I was the only one to take Humans and went for the package with Block Ogre, Guard Blitzers x 3, MB+Tackle Blitzer and Block Thrower. Felt that it really paid off as I faced a lot of opponents with Dodge. Matches were as follows:

Dark Elves: 2-1 win (6-0 on CAS)

Undead: 1-1 draw (3-5 on CAS) - left my opponent with 3+, 3+, 3+, 3+ with rr to tie it on turn 16 and he made it. 

High Elves: 2-1 win (5-0 CAS)

Amazons: 2-1 win (4-1 CAS) - Get the Ref at the end of the first half turned this one into a bit of a bloodbath!

Awards

Nice performance! 3+ 3+ 3+ 3+ works every time when my opponent needs it!

Here in Spain at the end of January we have one of the biggest individual tournament in the world "la REVA" at Valencia... 210 coaches signed up till now. If my wife agrees... Darayawus and El Maldito will be there and if my wife agrees me too!

11 minutes ago, Pidpad said:

Is that number of signups normal, or higher than usual?

If that's the normal numbers I do believe it beats NAF Championship (which had 244 last year I believe and a bit less this year).

Last year the number was 200 so... I would say it is usual to have around 200 players every year. Free beer is a good promo!

Yes I said free beer!!!

Yeah sounds like the two Cyanide games followed by GW relaunching the board game have really had an impact on the game’s popularity globally!

20 coaches attending a tournament may sound like nothing, but not long ago NAF tournaments didn’t even exist in this part of the world. Also distances between countries is greater and people have less disposable income to travel to events like this. 

One day I’d love to travel to a big event like the World Cup or La REVA!

Awards

1 hour ago, danton said:

20 coaches attending a tournament may sound like nothing, but not long ago NAF tournaments didn’t even exist in this part of the world. Also distances between countries is greater and people have less disposable income to travel to events like this.

From 0 to 20 is a much bigger step than a 200 to 210 coaches!!!

Was able to figure out how to add images to posts from my Mac, so here go a couple:

The Celtic Tigers ready to depart for the tournament (it's the first team I have ever painted)

trXFMmA.jpg

The Twenty teams that took part

eLN1rWg.jpg

Edited by danton
Changed Image Hosting provider
Awards