Ethelred Has Nothing Better To Do

Ethelred

Hello,

As someone who works from home and mysteriously finds time for a quick COL game at "lunchtime" I've joined the challenge to give some meaning to the COL games I play.

I've chosen COL as I almost never have to wait more than 5 mins to get a game, and although the bash content and conceding is higher than "normal", this is such a challenge that that's OK!

My full rules are:-

1. All games must be played in the same MM League

2. You must play 50 games with each team.

3. It’s a cripple format, so you can’t sack players - the only way they can leave the team is by dying.

4. You can start the team however you see fit.

5. So you can still use Star Players, I suggest a squad limit of 14 players

6. Once you have over 150k, you MUST spend your cash on positional players, up to the 14 players limit.

1. E.g. An Orc teams is heavy on positionals with 4 Blitzers, 4 Blorcs, 1 Troll, 2 Throwers, 4 Gobbos.  Starting with 3 linos means that you’ll reach the 14 player limit without the need for 4 gobbos (unless you want to).  Dark Elf teams are similar, meaning that in all likelihood linos will be replaced by positional players later on.

7. Cash can otherwise be spent on anything else you want, but you cannot get rid of excess cash by hiring and firing coaches and cheerleaders

8. Skill choice is not restricted, except stat ups must be taken

9. Concede victories count

Completed:- Skaven, Chaos, Nurgle, Goblin, Orcs, Ogres, Dorfs, Amazons, Underworld, Khemri

In Play:- Vamps, Dark Elves, Lizards, Kislev, Halflings, Union, Woodies

Edited by Ethelred

1st to finish was... Rats!

This proves perhaps my mediocrity as a coach, I finished 20-10-20.

4W67GJk.png

Was probably my best player.  The gutters consistently got niggled and/or killed.  I never got a 1 turner or claw on the vermin.

I got through 4 Rat Ogres, including at least 2 with block iirc.

That said, it was immense fun causing bash teams, especially Chaos, to concede once I had stolen the ball.

I subsequently used this time as a filler in another league so I can't post the ending squad.

Next to finish - Chaos!

K3ZenVd.png

w2dY7c8.png 

at the end.

My bae:-

f68XGUX.png

Fairly basic, but effective.  I honestly don't know how I kept meeting multiple CLPOMBers - well at least I don't know how their coaches ground out the results to get the right amount of SPP without going insane from boredom.

Lessons learnt:-

1.  AV8 is surprisngly weak

2.  A niggled Minotour is a massive liability, even with block.

3.  Killing Guard SF MB dorfs is pretty close to orgasmic, and is pretty much orgasmic when they then concede.

In fact at high TV there are some Longbead only Guard, SF, MB dorf teams.  I would rather put out my eyes.

Edited by Ethelred

2 hours ago, Waleed said:

Cor..Cripple format makes it a tough one to win games with....

Heh, have you played much in COL?  The coaches quality er... is variable.

For example, my dorfs rolled a Chorf team last night.  They were 180 TV ahead of my boys, yet had fairly undeveloped players.

Then I noticed...

7 Rerolls.  7.  Seven.

?

Edited by Ethelred

The next one was easily the most fun so far:-

iY5aD5u.png

8dRh6gk.png

I was really worried about the AV7 and yes, there were games when I was nearly pitch cleared, but these bad boys REALLY put the hurt on.

Danny D the 7447 runner - OMG!

Except the yeti who was terrible - 42 games, 197 blocks, 61 armour breaks, 10 CAS, no kills.

Marco the high SPP beserker also got -AV early on, only to roll +AV later.  what a legend.

Edited by Ethelred

bit more bash (wanted to try and get the duller teams out of the way.  Yes I am aware I could have gone down a crazy mutant route..)

AkxhbGh.png

C0JE2mB.png

Didn't do too much CLPOMB spam, just enough for 1 to consistently blitz each turn.  The ST6 tents beast was great - but got MNG the same game he got the +ST - game 49 so he never took to the field.

There's also a lot of coaches who don't understand disturbing presence, Foul Appearance is the most annoying skill to play against I think.

The rotters were surprisingly resilient - a new rule I created was to keep on the team anyone I "converted", hence the 16 player squad.

This is much more like it.  This was quite hard to keep playing...

02xIVgp.png

9L9VIlj.png

In a lot of games, it felt like I was only 1 3+ dodge, or a non kickback on a saw away from a draw if not a win.

I had an amazing ST1, Dirty Player, Sidestep, ... saw that won MVP 8 times.  He was amazing and when he eventually died it was a sad day.

The best the bomber did was BH 3 elfs off a throw, otherwise was a real liability.  Never got HMP ?

Never saw the troll eating a gobbo animation (and only had a handful of TTM TDs).  Often was reduced to 2 trolls vs the world which is very depressing.

Finally, I spin all my teams at the same time, and when the gobbos got into the mix they were chosen above almost all the other teams despite being in the middle of the block I would enter.  So at least it was over quickly.

1 hour ago, Ethelred said:

Heh, have you played much in COL?  The coaches quality er... is variable.

For example, my dorfs rolled a Chorf team last night.  They were 180 TV ahead of my boys, yet had fairly undeveloped players.

Then I noticed...

7 Rerolls.  7.  Seven.

?

I have been lucky - had 5 close games that could have gone either way, 4 easy to win ones and 2 really challenging tough ones, out of the 11 I have played in the last few months ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not too bad tbh, I can usually get a game in at lunchtime as COL rarely last more than an hour.

I did have 3 concedes in a row the other day, but that did let me buy a new Vamp (after one of the 3 in my team died on a dodge) I couldn't complain.

I've just started Delves and bought a new Welf, can't wait to start to use assassins for the first time.  Blitz-Ra just got PO too so hopefully that will be fun.

• 5 months later...

Ogres Completed.  Thank Nuffle.

IfVHwVY.png

The team as you might expect is a bit beaten up:-

Op5SFx4.png

Lost 3 Ogres overall, the last ST 4 one in the last game (which was notable for 5 boneheads in a row, with a RR), where I was also unable to break skink armour at all. 

The one word that springs to mind with Ogres is "Frustration".  If only that guy hadn't boneheaded, if only that 2D against had not been a double pow, if only the Snots would take just the one hit before leaving the field, if only POMB would work.

If only.

zjgte4g.jpg

Played 49 games, but only 6 TD.

Edited by Ethelred

• 1 month later...

Dorfs done.

Quite a few concedes against this team, which is silly cos they aren't that hard and are as slow as f.

It's been OK I guess, I don't like the playstyle and I never got any stats that allowed some passing play - at least non that survived.

Claw at high TV really hurt, especially as it often killed my guard dorfs leaving me worse off.  Turns out AV9 ain't that great.

Also had -AG on a runner for awhile (with KO Return, block and sprint) so that was painful.

jOycqcB.png

MB59sPv.jpg

Happy played 49 games.  Well done Happy.

Edited by Ethelred

• 2 weeks later...

Amazons done.  As a former 'zon coach I am happy they have the best result so far!

o50mGnb.png

Here's the (a bit) battered squad:-  Most killer teams don't go for tackle which does mitigate, but meeting a 2400 Chaos team hurt.

fgmYT0a.png

Great fun.

• 4 months later...

Underworld completed.  Mediocre scoreline I'm afraid.

m4gFSlE.png

Here's the team at the end of it all:

1opU6nX.png

I did have 1, maybe 2 ClPOMBers but they died within games of each other.  Likewise a MA8 Linerat with blodge.

Started off really well, but once I started to hit proper teams it was a bit of a disaster.  The Nuffle altar did help a lot and Skitter especially.

Most disappointingly I never managed to build a horns, dauntless block gobbo, with two heads.  The Gobbos barely got above 2 skills before the inevitable.

I didn't make many over the course of 50 games, but I struggle to think of a time I failed a Animosity roll - very much a plan B but won or drew me a couple of games.

Still haven't seen the eaten gobbo animation either - did get quite a few TTM TDs, and failed a load too obvs.

w00t w00t!  Khemri completed.

UT3OABM.png

Here's how they ended up:-

uhr78yt.png

Couple of 50 games played heroes - Adem & Idris for one, then killer blitz-ra Saled played 49.

Overall quite enjoyed the positioning aspect, and catching people out with break tackle blitzes.

Next up 0 RR woodies!

• 1 year later...

Seems like ages since I completed a race, but here we go,

50 game Vamps:-

unknown.png

https://spike.ovh/team?team_id=2543694&platform=1

unknown.png

ST2 POMBer for the win.

I'm an "improving" vampire coach - I don't think they are for me tbh as they seem to fail far too much and I lost a Vamp to a failed dodge in the first game (no regen, obvs) so that kind of set the scene.

No pro either - my vamps seemed really hard to level, but that is probably on me.

• 1 month later...