A Blitzer of uncommon Agility - skill selection

Galenth

Hello folks! I'm writing to get some insight from the Hive Mind, care to share your opinion?

My dark elves have developed a beautiful blitzer with now 51 spp. He has dodge and two agility advancement, making him an AGI6 beauty. He will not live long, but as long as he plays I'd like to make the most of him. How would you develop it?

I've got two directions in my mind, but am open to anything. Consider that he rolled a normal for his leve 5 advancement.

Ball carrier/recoverer: leap+sure hands (or sure hands+leap?)

Cage diver: tackle+strip ball (or strip ball+tackle?)

The ballhawk path is the one I am using him for at the moment, but since I am not being particularly succesfull I should probably reconsider my whole strategy, so I could consider a change of 'direction'.

The second path would probably win me more games, but I am really not keen at leaving him inside the opponent's cage, even if the sack is succesful. He would certainly be taken down and gangfouled, or at least that is what I would do to him ;)

Any alternative I've not considered? 

I would go for the sure hands then leap route.

Sure hands 1st as in 3 TZ's a 3+ dodge , 3+ pick up with rerolls for both is better than a 2+ leap , 3+ pick up with no rerolls.

However that means you need someone else to knock the ball loose.

The cage diver really wants wrestle.

That means either

a) a witch but frenzy inside a cage can be bad and she is expensive and AV7

or

b) a wrestle leap lineelf which is fairly easy to replace but is slower and will probably get hurt before getting dodge.

or 

c) Keep your TV low enough you get a wizard but an AG6 blitzer isn't cheap and Darkies tend to have high TV.

Since he is never going to get Wrestle and lot of the team you face will have SH on their BC, and the ag6 is a bit waste on leaping hence you miss the wrestle/SB part- I would go for the Sure hands. Then I would roll a double on the 76 mark and take pass.

for my part I don't think any of the options already suggested are bad (I can even see why you'd cycle it). I don't think you'll last long enough to make it a genuine ball sack piece, since you're missing tackle, wrestle or strip. Personally I like going down the ball hawk route but I'd take leap first over sure hands because I think it gives you more utility (leaping over screens, into cages or wherever) than just the pick-up RR. with leap he makes a good 1 turner, he can be a back-up ball sacker, good luck ever stopping him scoring and I think it keeps your options open for whatever skill he gets next.

Interesting thoughts.  I was actually thinking of not going leap since you can dodge just about anywhere anyway, though it's more dice to roll and not good around tackle, but at least without tackle the RR is built in.  Hell, you can cage dive on a 3+!  Since he is such a valuable piece who is so good already, I'd be more tempted to just go SS and then fend or something like that.  Then you have two good skills (SS great skill!) that help him just be an all around beast.  Of course those skills are mostly good when he gets hit and you're trying to avoid that but it's going to happen no matter how much you try to protect him and I like him more when he's alive.

However, I do like the other suggestions as well.  TYS always makes sense and is a very experience elf coach so you can't go wrong with his advice.  Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with most normal elf skills.  Happy decision making!

Thanks folks!

I will try OTTD with the movement 9 witch.

SS is solid, but I really, really will try to keep him in the back.

A consideration: I missed promotion to championship in S9 because he failed to pickup the ball and score in the last match. I got relegated to T2 in S10 because he failed to pickup and throw the ball in endzone in the last match. Maybe the universe is pointing me toward sure hands ;)!

Edited by Galenth

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:43 AM, Galenth said:

Thanks folks!

I will try OTTD with the movement 9 witch.

SS is solid, but I really, really will try to keep him in the back.

A consideration: I missed promotion to championship in S9 because he failed to pickup the ball and score in the last match. I got relegated to T2 in S10 because he failed to pickup and throw the ball in endzone in the last match. Maybe the universe is pointing me toward sure hands ;)!

Update: Sure Hands was a great choice. Nothing like dancing between three Nurgle Warriors, pick up the ball in a triple tackle zone and just walk away ;)

• 6 months later...

Surprisingly enough, the guy survived his next season (I skipped a few) and reached level 6.

Block, dodge, +2 agi, sure hands.

What's next? A normal skill to pick, I'll probably go for Leap this time, with some thoughts to fend for survivability. 

Any thoughts? 

• 3 months later...

A Blitzer of uncommon agility update: leap was a great pick. My team value was destroyed this season and I almost always had a lightning ball to put the ball on the ground. This blitzer's ball recovery skills were key in gaining a promotion to Championship, where he will now die horribly!

Curious to see the continuous development here! 

Sometimes the unexpected takes you unexpectedly far as well... For your next ag6 elf can I tempt you with Pass Block + Leap/catch?

True game breaker when used right in team tactics.

Or Dump off + Pass/Leap could be tempting if you have a great team play with Nerves on Steel-ers lol

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers

King Kill

On 5/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, King Kill said:

Curious to see the continuous development here! 

Sometimes the unexpected takes you unexpectedly far as well... For your next ag6 elf can I tempt you with Pass Block + Leap/catch?

True game breaker when used right in team tactics.

Or Dump off + Pass/Leap could be tempting if you have a great team play with Nerves on Steel-ers lol

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers

King Kill

Thanks for the tip, that is the ultimate interceptor but I've not seen a single pass from other players in the last three seasons :D