OCC Forum Hack: Questions

Borke

7 minutes ago, Borke said:

Yes. The Orca Coins currently being gone has a different reason. For the time being, we need to handle them manually (Suido is doing that).

I was going for a silly joke to break the tension, but I appreciate your professional reply.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Verbal_HM said:

@Borke

The biggest question would be why our top admin locked this forum with a low security password? :clown: 

Honk, honk...

well, my own password wasn't actually that bad. though have indeed improved it since ;)

but if the hack actually happened the way we think, then the password that was hacked was very secure (it wasn't anyone's personal password but a pretty cryptic one, for the FTP server)

I kinda want to de-escalate this .

Look, ok, they hacked our admin account. What have they achieved? A fuck load of information they can't understand?

I'm kinda pretty as my 'bank account' details are split across indifferent email addresses, with multiple passwords.

So they have access to this forum? Who actually gives a fuck? It's one of the most pointless accesses they can have access into my life from.

Then you're absolutely fine, @Verbal_HM. I posted the information solely for those people who might have been using the same password for this forum as they use, for example, for their private email account. Some people do that. It's not a good idea to do it, but still. And since we can't exclude that the hackers accessed people's passwords on this forum (though the chance is slim), I advised those people who were using the same password somewhere else to change it in those other places.

You also need to understand that if this 'data breach' happened at host level, they have millions of 'user names' and 'passwords', trying to connect that kind of information into something financially viable is an absolute nightmare.

Just ask the 'state'. Mostly they just record it. Until you stick your head above the pulpit, they have no idea who you are. That said, once they do, they will dragnet your internet history...

The folly of 'free' VPN's...

All you're doing is transferring your internet traffic from your internet provider, to your VPN provider.

It's all still recorded, it's just recorded by a different company.

You need to understand that if the website doesn't charge a fee, you're the fee, you're the product. As they sell your information to the highest bidder?

That's how the would works.