Humans - Tier 2 Skill Package

danton

Takings Humans to a NAF tournament in a couple of weeks. 1.1 million and tier 2 teams get 7 normals and a double, but no skill can be taken more than twice. Also only one player can get 2 skills (neither of them a double). 

Team is

Ogre, 4 blitzers, 2 throwers, 1 catcher, 5 linos and 3 rr

Block on the Ogre for the double is a no brainer. Second Block on a thrower. 

Guard on 2 blitzers is also a given. Also strongly leaning towards a Dirty Player lino.

That leaves 3 skills for the other two blitzers. Am torn between a few options:

Blitzer with MB + Tackle and the other with MB or Frenzy

Blitzer with MB + PO (LRB 6 version) and the other with Tackle

Thoughts?

I'm far from an expert on a) Humans and b) TT. But since I spent a bit of time thinking about it, I might as well share my thoughts with you :)

So, my line of thought is: If there's a target I want to take down, and it has dodge, I'll always use my one Tackle piece. In those situations I'm much happier having the MB along with Tackle, because I can combine the necessary (taking down the target) with the happy fun activity (possibly removing a piece along the way). In all other situations, when you're just trying to grind the opponent's pieces down, and you have plenty of non-Dodge targets available, MB/PO is obviously the stronger choice for maxing removal. So the question is: How many "must use Tackle" targets are there going to be? I have no idea and you'll probably be the better judge.

If you go with the MB/Tackle combo, I'd probably favour Frenzy on the last Blitzer. It's a risky skill, but with big potential payoff, and you probably know how to use it well :)

I second frenzy. If anything because it adds a threat to your arsenal and makes your opponents play more conservative, which is something that human teams need. Also it works against blodgers, to some extend. I'd consider either a wrestle lineman or side step on the catcher if you feel like trying one-turners. Dirty player with 13 in the roster is acceptable, but be careful not to overcommit too many players on gang fouls. 

The max 2 skills is not good for humans, tbh. Block on the ogre might seem good but really you'd do so much better with 4 players with guard (3 blitzers and the ogre). 

2 hours ago, Borke said:

If you go with the MB/Tackle combo, I'd probably favour Frenzy on the last Blitzer. It's a risky skill, but with big potential payoff, and you probably know how to use it well :)

Yeah, I’m leaning this way too. MB + Tackle is more flexible than MB + PO I think. Also the threat of a player with Frenzy makes opponents play differently near the sidelines, while acting as a backup pseudo Tackle. 

1 hour ago, Smiling Tom said:

I second frenzy. If anything because it adds a threat to your arsenal and makes your opponents play more conservative, which is something that human teams need. Also it works against blodgers, to some extend. I'd consider either a wrestle lineman or side step on the catcher if you feel like trying one-turners. Dirty player with 13 in the roster is acceptable, but be careful not to overcommit too many players on gang fouls. 

The max 2 skills is not good for humans, tbh. Block on the ogre might seem good but really you'd do so much better with 4 players with guard (3 blitzers and the ogre). 

Agree regarding Frenzy. Idea behind DP lino is that it has a psychological edge to it. Would mainly use it to target key players, but would depend a bit on the match-up. If I went with Wrestle on a lino I’d probably prefer a roster of 12 with an Apo instead. 

I don’t think the format is bad for Humans. At least no other team will have more than 2 Guard either. Block on the Ogre is also the best use of a double on the team and makes the big guy way more reliable in my experience. 

I've generally been impressed by Catchers in league play when I encountered them. Together with the Blitzers, they make Humans deceptively quick, definitely a good pick in a bash heavy environment I believe. Are these the AV8 Catchers in TT as well? That would make me lean towards Catchers even more.

37 minutes ago, Borke said:

I've generally been impressed by Catchers in league play when I encountered them. Together with the Blitzers, they make Humans deceptively quick, definitely a good pick in a bash heavy environment I believe. Are these the AV8 Catchers in TT as well? That would make me lean towards Catchers even more.

Nope, in naf they fixed them by reducing the cost to 60k, which is good in its own way. 

I did some play-testing yesterday against an Orc team and didn't like the Frenzy option. I think I'll go with a second blitzer with MB instead. Frenzy is just too limiting on a human piece that does not have Str 4 or Ag 4 I think.

Also rethinking the DP lino and will probably go with Wrestle instead. I think I'll get more value from that skill over the course of the game and can still foul with a regular lino if I need to. I did like having 2 catchers against a slow team too.