The Ancient Ways of Ball Handling

MrStarck

Crushing defeat here as i've been the artisan of it. I had what was necessary to win, but messed it up !

Mordrek's Goblin Spy link to the game.

yVhVAs.png

JHy2FB.png

In the end i didn't face any Wizard, Hack (Chainsaw, STR 3, Sidestep) showed up instead, pushing the Necromantic team to 14 players.

1. Fweddy win the toss, chose to receive. Extra reroll for Ball Handling Masterclass.

I open the flanks since i either want to force a quick score or to squash the dead shambling bodies against the sideline. The LoS block yeild 2 stun, cementing the strategy. The Wight behind my line stays free and the Necros score on turn 2. All is well and fine, especially since The Glory of 2 Left Hands comes back from his KO. 0-1 for the Necros.

2. Pitch Invasion, Touchback.

Hack gets in for the rest of the half, the Touchback still goes to the Thro-Ra. The pitch invasion stuns a Tomb Guardian, a Skeleton ; on the other side it's 2 Wights and a Flesh Golem that gets downed.

With another Stun on the LoS, i try to run down a flank but the average movement of my team prevent my from doing so. Fweddy uses  his Flesh Golem expertly and i'm facing those massive roadblock, having to reposition towards the center. On my turn 4 Pain Killer Dealer sends a Wight missing for the next game, turn 5 sees a Zombie leaving the field temporarily and Hack gets KO'ed.

Due to some miscaculation, i had to score on turn 7, giving Fweddy one turn to score.

3. Second Ha... Riot, both team gain a turn.

I was near my line, ready to defend a One Turn Touchdown and the Riot was a real bummer, Fweddy came real close to score. He should have, but a 1D block decided against it. It was a lucky break. With the Blodge Wolf on the ground i decided to foul him with my less valuable player around :  The Glory of 2 Left Hands (Block Thro-Ra).

Honestly i thought it was the right decision. This Wolf was a very annoying player and it was 72% foul, i was ok trading this Thro-Ra against the Wolf. And... 2+2 comes out. So no armor break, goodbye Thro-Ra. In indsight maybe it was a stupid decision. At that time Hack and a Wight were out. I had more positionnal. I think at that exact moment i was somewhat frustrated to not get the Claw / Mighty Blow wolf out of the field despite targeting with MB hit (some of them being 3D block). It got the best of me and i probably shouldn't have fouled with a positionnal.

4. Second Half, Quick Snap.

1-1, my drive, all is good and fine.

On my turn 9 the catastrophy happens. I start with covering the ball, then with some blocks. Then i count some squares with a TOmb Guardian. Missclicked, confirmed the move. We are sad to report that Decay and Death isn't as proficient at dodging as he is at... staying there. Turnover.

The Necros loose no time and barrel down my flank with a Flesh Golem, a wolf and a wight. With my Tomb Guardians still entangled in the middle because of the blocks i didn't took.

It's a fairly hopeless ball defense, i cannot stun anything to save my life while the Necromantic team removes 3 of my players (including the remaining Thro-Ra). Undead players drip towards the ball until the Wight gets control of it and score.

The rest of the game brings nothing to that table.

1-2 for the Necros !

Conclusion

Thanks for the game @Fweddy (i can also appreciate the Calvin & Hobbes avatar :p ). I've been taught some valuable lessons this game ! First i clump-up my Tomb Guardians too much on the line, i should have them spaced out a little more to be able to free them if need be. It cost me dearly on the second half.

I've also seen the efficiency of 1D and -2D. I shouldn't disregard those options, i have to take that in and considere that my opponent can do that. In several cases it turned a complicated turn for the Necros into an horrific position for me.

Also being obsessed with removing a player is... really bad. I did some sub-par movement just to hit the Claw / Mighty Blow almost every turn with Mighty Blow and got nothing out of it. I've sank so many ressources that it probably cost me the game. It should've been a situational concern, not part of the plan.

What i'm happy with :

1. Got around the Flesh Golem during first half (players removal helped)
  2. Somewhat decent ball carrier protection

What i should look to improve :

1. Pay attention to the game, don't get distracted by what's happening around
  2. Take more time before acting on your turn, i have 4 minutes, not 1 or 2. 

What needs an urgent fixing :

1. Being obsessed with removing a player, this can't ever happen again
  2. Relying on removals. I can and have advance without them in the past. Should revert to that state of things.

And now... Pre-match and level-ups all in one !!!

Because it's easier that way...

MD9 MrStarck - Ball Handling Masterclass :khemri: VS :bret:  Varrus - The Southern Sentinels

The Southern Sentinels - 1400 TV (190k in the bank, 2 Rerolls, 6 Fan Factor) :

Xbn3DR.png

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1420 TV (110k in the bank, 3 Rerolls, 6 Fan Factor) :

bG7VzP.png

Level-ups :

Pain Killer Dealer : Probably no discussion here. There's 4 Blodge Knights on the other side. I need that Tackle and he getting this skill sooner or later anyway.

Onwards to pondering about the future game :

With level-ups (considering he has a normal roll and he removes the 40K extra in the bank), the TV should be like this :

1440 TV  :khemri: VS :bret:1380 TV

60 TV appart. It's a Babe. Could be some money invested to get a Wizard.

I've the Strengh and Guard advantage, but i've already seen what Dauntless and Fend can do to my blocking game. They aren't way faster than me, therefore i think i should present a solid front and defend instead of pressing an early score. I'm a little bit afraid of what 4 Blodge Knights can do but i have no expertise in that department so i'll have to see.

I think my best option is a solid defence, and brawl a lot.

See you next week !

Awards

This was a fun read.

I absolutely feel trying to remove the wolf was the right call (Blodge that falls down on turn 8 is worth the try), but thought you'd be doing so with a skeleton.  

I hope to see your team in future seasons.

Awards

What a game to end the season ! It's a draw, and it was damn entertaining !

Mordrek's Goblin Spy link to the game

fyn1r5.png

xxyC4r.png

With an extra Peasant purchase, Varrus had enough to buy a Babe. The weather is nice. Its 13 vs 14.

1. Varrus win the toss, chose to kick. Quick Snap.

The Brettonian team setup an offside LoS with two groups of 4 players to cover the rest of the field. The Quick Snap give me the opportunity to get under the kick. Defying his name, The Glory of 2 Left Hands promptly catch it ! LoS blocks yield nothing of note. The men of the Lady quickly circle around the first line of defence to base the cage and all Tomb Guardians.

This strategy stops the Khemri advance on turn 2 but proves painful for the brave Brettonians, since one Guard Blocker gets KO'ed while Slow Feets, Slow Head grants another Blocker a red cross in the middle of the face.

Brettonian's turn 2 see more agressive basing, determined to not let let the Khemrians foul player enter their half of the field. Big Tim - the brave peasant that dared staying in a square i desperatly needed - payed the iron price, joining the Lady forever. I have a solid cage entering the ennemy half. Brettonian turn 3 is cut short with a failed (rerolled) dodge from a Knight, dices are starting to fail Varrus.

The rest is just a slow Khemri advance where the ball carried is based from time to time without any real threat. On turn 7 i leave a foolish opening for a one dice. Having no Guard directly connected to the ball carrier, the Brettonians have just few dodges to do for a 1D on the ball. Thankfully Block is a skill and it saved me.

The opposition si quickly cleared and we can run for a touchdown on turn 8. The remaining turn yield nothing for the men of the Lady. To the second half we go.

1-0 Khemri.

2. Get the Ref.

13 vs 12. My defence is spread out, with Tomb Guardians holding the flanks and the access to the center. The plan was to defend and take the 1-0, so i wanted Varrus to work for his advance into my half. LoS block yield nothing of value and the Brets secure the ball in the middle being a strong wall.

My rerolls burn fast and on turn 11 the Knights combine their efforts to go through the center. The protection is shallow and The R.I.P. er gets a 1D opportunity without success, leaving the Knight standing with the ball. At that point i noted that i was too quick to invest my tackle player, which Varrus was more than eager to tie in order to have a more resillient ball carrier, i should be more carefull with the position of valuable (and threatening) players.

The ball carrier slips through the cracks of my defence. on turn 12 i try a last ditch effort to hold onto the ball carrier. Being to eager to base players around, i offer opportunities to clear the path. Varrus sees them an open a corridor for his Knight to run through.

1-1 !

3. Throw a Rock, stuns a peasant on the LoS.

Four turns to score is possible. The Brettonians adopt an elven style defense with columns of 2 players. I have to strech myself thin since the kick lands on a sideline (Kick-off Return seems suddenly a lot more appealing). Varrus sticks a Knight on the ball carrier while i extend into his half to prepare a score since i was decided to play for the win.

The last reroll goes on turn 14 to clear the ball carrier that can reach the middle on the shaddiest of the cages.

A clever push play with some dodges and GFI gets 2D on the ball carrier and... he's fine ! (and trapped with 2 Knights near him).

Please Not the Face I gets into scoring range while i brawl to get my ball carrier out of here. The blitz does not give me the lucky POW i needed and i have to take a dodge with the ball carrier. This is no way to play as Khemri and an outraged The Glory of 2 Left Hands let me know this with a solid fall onto his face. The bounce is incredibly generous to me.

Last turn, we try a pick-up into a pass to Please Not the Face I for the win. The pick-up and the throw are good, but the poor Skeleton does not know what to make of this strange ovoid thing and can't quite catch it.

End of the game. 1-1.

Conclusion

Thanks for the game @Varrus!! It was a real pleasure as you were both a really good coach and a pleasant opponent. We chatted during the entire game and it was fun exchanging on strategy or getting excited about tense moments. Looking at the dice rolls, nobody got a better hand dealt and it's for the best. It was a very tactical game and i enjoyed it from beginning to end, to a point that looking a the draw i thought it was a fitting result.

On the game, i think i did a decent job on offence (though i had some help form the removals). Defence was a little bit more fragile and i didn't know what to make of those 4 Blodge Knights as they slipped throught the cracks. I think i got around fend fairly well and Dauntless wasn't as big as a factor since i was aware of it.

What i'm happy with :

1. Got around Fend and Dauntless fairly well
  2. Decent ball carrier protection, still needs improvment
  3. Much better positionning

1. Defence against agile-ish teams, no doubt.
  2. Fouling players. I have a deeper roster and should use it.

Have reviewing my games one more time, i'll summarize the season. Thanks again Varrus, as you have been a phenomenal ending to this season of OCC, highliting how great can Blood Bowl be when played in great compagny.

Level-ups :

Yay...

mD5NOS.png

As a side note, with the money i had i went ahead and bought a Weather Dome, since the consensus seems that rain will be the worst thing ever.

Please Not the Face I : With a normal i don't think i should considere anything but Block. I'm open to talk about Fend if anyone as a compelling argument for it, but i'd rather have Block on him to keep his guard longer on the field.

The Glory of 2 Left Hand : That's the interesting part ! He is my ball carrier and a double opens up a wide range of possibilities. Without giving it too much thoughts i'd take Dodge to make cage dive a little bit more complicated (at least forcing the player that does it to have Tackle). With Fend after that he can be an annoying ball carrier to deal with.

Sidestep could a good option too (maybe Stand Firm ?). It doesn't protect him but cage divers have a high chance of carrying Tackle, therefore Sidestep would give me more control on where the ball will fall.

I could see an argument for Guard, as it makes him a better asset for my defence.

I'm open to suggestions, and see you soon for the conclusion on this season !

Awards

The options for Thro-Ra are...

Dodge - limiting the opponent to having to use just their Tacklers makes defending the ball much easier, and this increases your mobility (not necessarily when carrying the ball, but just getting away from markers when you cannot punch them), and makes potential 2d-against hits from opponents completely pointless (take you down 1/4 if you have no Block, 1/9 with Block, 1/36 with blodge)

Guard - looks a little suicidal, but it opens up spots where you need it, and makes shaking off markers easier

Sure Feet - Khemri problem is being slow and also needing to go around every tacklezone, but who are we kidding, GFIs are what gets you killed, so this is the madman option

Hey @MrStarck - thank you for your kind words and the really entertaining game!  It was indeed a thrilling and fitting end to the season for us!  I too enjoyed chatting during the game and analysing some elements as we played. Did you realise our match lasted almost 2 1/2 hours!? It didn't seem so long when we played! :D

I have reviewed our game and although I was trying some new tactics and wasn't playing as conservatively as I usually might, I have to say that after another look I confirmed my earlier suspicion that I was very lucky to scrape a draw against you!  I think you have a really good grasp of how to coach Khemri!

I won't dwell too much on my own coaching, although I saw a lot I could do better, but since this is your team review, I have some minor thoughts to offer in case you are interested.

For offense I would say you are very strong and it is probably the best part of your game. You control the pitch really well and my only suggestion is that against faster teams (especially those with Kick) you may want to consider setting up your skeletons a little further back in case of a bad kick off result. That way you can screen the Throw-Ra's a little if they fumble the ball or have to run backwards to retrieve it. I haven't coached Khemri much, but I once lost 4-0 as Orks against some well-coached pro-elves who kept kicking deep and cutting my thrower off from the rest of the team!  If the kick is ok and the Throw-Ra's look like they can get the ball up to a cage then you can still move the skeletons forward to maximise your 3 die blocks. Overall though, on offense you should start looking at really small things here and there to improve, because all the important things you already get 100% right!

For defense I think you were also strong, but possibly over-committed on your left on turn 9 and then had to send both sweepers to the far right flank on turn 10. If I hadn't misplayed my turn 11 so badly I might have caged pretty well on my left quite far forward and scoring could've been fairly easy (Instead I tried to cut back into the centre and created a mess that I was very lucky to escape!) lol

Finally you asked me during the game why I chose to kick first and on reflection I think I gave you an incomplete answer - I was hoping to take advantage of a deep kick, but I also knew that offense is really a strong part of your game, so I didn't want to give you a 2-1 grind if I could avoid it!

Thanks again mon ami avec les testicules d'acier et bonne chance avec ton equipe!

@MrStarck Oh I forgot to say that as someone attacking a cage, I would least like to see a blodge ball-carrier so I think dodge is the correct way to go for the doubles.  There isn't THAT much tackle for a while and it will make him much safer for a long time and maybe even allow some amazing Khemri dodge plays!  In my opinion Guard will put a valuable and delicate player in harm's way too much or be too situational to be worth the TV cost.

By the way - once you get another normal skill roll on a Throw-Ra you should definitely think about Kick-Off Return. It will help a lot to get the ball safely caged on offensive drives.

• 3 weeks later...

S14 has been a blast. I'm really glad i finally pushed myself to join this league. Looking back at the season i've been fairly bad at the beginning, but once i've started watching for those basics mistakes (counting squares, looking at turn timer, having a broad idea of how the game should go for me to win), things turned around.

I'm fairly proud of landing in second place, only behind @Varrus who was a fantastic coach aswell as a great human being to interact with. I wish you well in his new season in 4B, show them !

On the topic of great human being, i also command @Kia Sidhe for the game we shared on discord. I played real bad throughout the game, but man was it entertaining talking with you. I see you're in 5B with a couple of our former leaguemates and Pidpad, good luck to you!

I've watch as many games as i could during the season, and i'd like to cheer-up @Velihopea for this season in 5A. Of all the coaches in my former division, i think he was amongs the very best. At least clearly better than me and he could've snatched the first spot. I think you've been hard done by dices on a couple of key matches, better dices this season!

...now

NEW SEASON !! 

Here is my division (4A) :

• :chaos:  Steelheed - The Ultimate Diet - 1770 TV
  • :bret:  BigAshW - Broken Promises - 1490 TV
  • :necro:  Spudy - Varuna - 1700 TV
  • :gobbo: Breschdleng - The OCC Hools - 1140 TV
  • :delf:  Sindain - Elves from Down Under - 1350 TV
  • :welf:  Louizypher - Yellow Streak - 1620 TV
  • :amazon:  bob152 - Aeaea Muses - 1380 TV
  • :chaos:  Dimmy Gee - DG Chaos Cowboy's - 1580 TV
  • :chaosdwarf:  Feedrik - The Fire-Dorfs - 1340 TV
  • :khemri:  MrStarck - Ball Handling Masterclass - 1500 TV

:chaos:  Steelheed - The Ultimate Diet - 1770 TV (3 rerolls, Apo, 8 Fan Factor)

CPuswv.png

This team is at a higher TV than displayed here, since there's a level 4 Chaos Warrior and a level 3 Beastman missing. There's a couple of Claws and Mighty Blows. This should be a complicated game, with that many mutations and ways to murder stuff, i'm not sure how i should handle this.

I meet them in MD5, which gives them time to complete the Claws / Mighty Blow combo. I'm also likely to have a good amount of inducements. I don't think i'm in a good position with this matchup (30-35%).

:bret:  BigAshW - Broken Promises - 1490 TV (3 rerolls, Apo, 6 Fan Factor)

DHQuYr.png

I'm a little unimpressed with this Bretonnian team. 2 Guards and a STR 4. 3 Blodger Knights and only one Mighty Blow on a Blocker. This my last game of the season and this team is bound to change over the course of 9 matches.

I've also learned to be carefull around Bretonnians since both team that i had in my division last season gave me a really hard time. I think i'm favoured to win this one (70-75% as is).

:necro:  Spudy - Varuna - 1700 TV (3 rerolls, 7 Fan Factor)

2xxGjl.png

My MD3 game. Wights and Golems are solid, a very good ball carrier... and those damn wolves of course. Especially Copper, the ball sacker one. I'll need to run a really tight offensive drive against them otherwise those two will steal the ball and run away with it.

I also see the three Dirty Player zombies at the bottom. Depending on how i massively fuck-up my offense will set the score. I still think i'm favoured (60-65%).

:gobbo: Breschdleng - The OCC Hools - 1140 TV

cCXDzP.png

I have no idea. I couldn't play goblins to save my life. I think i have a massive upper hand since i'll be running a lot of Mighty Blow / Block, which means - coupled with Stunty - that i should make that 11 players team a 5-6 players team really fast (with the secret weapons on top of that). It's my MD2 game so the team shouldn't change that much.

I should win this one, although i should research on how goblins are played to not get catched off guard (75-80%).

:delf:  Sindain - Elves from Down Under - 1350 TV (3 rerolls, Apo, 8 Fan Factor)

XAAu2a.png

Three missing players should inflate TV above mine. They have a dedicated killer and a decent amount of Guard for an elves team. I've had difficult times against agile teams during last season, although i should have access to more Tackle for this specific game. Apart for the Guards, no spectacular mutations that should worry me.

It's my MD4 and I think it's up in the air, depending on my ability to defend and / or remove elves from the pitch. If i can press for a fast score on their drive, i should be good. Otherwise... it will get messy (50%).

:welf:  Louizypher - Yellow Streak - 1620 TV (2 rerolls, Apo, 8 Fan Factor)

NBMSaY.png

My MD7.Two classic Wardancers. A mouvement 9 Catcher and some skills on the rest. This looks like a very solid Wood Elves team with 12 players and 110k in the bank. I'm not sure i can compete with this roster as is. I see potential one turner and a solid cage diver.

MD7 is far away and things could change drastically. For now i'll give myself a little less under average chances to win (45-50%).

:amazon:  bob152 - Aeaea Muses - Amazon - 1380 TV (3 rerolls, Apo, 5 Fan Factor)

UOwIPc.png

This looks like a nightmare to play against. A million Blodgers with some Guards. I have absolutely no idea how to answer that other than a good defense. AG 3 means they can't squeeze in the tight spots elves could. I have to grind the 1-0 and hope i can hold the line during their drive.

This is MD6 and depending on how many tackles i get it will change the odds for sure (35-50%).

:chaos:  Dimmy Gee - DG Chaos Cowboy's - 1580 TV (3 rerolls, Apo, 9 Fan Factor

nwWn3d.png

MD8, what an encounter. This murder Chaos and it should be worse when we get to the game. 1 ball carrier, rest is dedicated to hurt stuff. The ball carrier only is a nightmare : AG 4 Blodge. Likely to have Sure Hands when our game rolls around.

I don't think i can win this one. This is the kind of game where you try to not get your team murdered and nothing else matter (25%-30%).

And now... Pre-match and last opponent of the division !!!

Because it's easier that way...

MD1 MrStarck - Ball Handling Masterclass :khemri: VS :chaosdwarf:  Feedrik - The Fire-Dorfs 

The Fire-Dorfs - 1340 TV (190k in the bank, 3 Rerolls, Apo, 6 Fan Factor) :

3DC9Km.png

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1500 TV (60k in the bank, 3 Rerolls, 7 Fan Factor) :

PUCgVf.png

Considering he removes the 40K extra in the bank, the TV should be like this :

1500 TV  :khemri: VS :chaosdwarf:1300 TV

With 200k of inducement, i should face a Wizard and a Babe.

The Wizard is such a pain for Khemri that i don't see why it wouldn't comes into play. Regarding his team i'm pleased to see that the Claw / Mighty Blow Dwarf is missing, reducing their killing power to one Claw. There's still 3 guards in play, which mean i should be carefull with an all-out brawl where those Guards could net a Claw hit on a Tomb Guardian.

My best best is to spread the Dwarves a little bit. I see no dedicated ball carrier, so it's AG 3 no skill or AG2 Block that would pick-up that ball. Nothing really scarry. I shouldn't be afraid of that match-up as long as i don't willingly give Claw hit on the Tomb Guardians.

So solid defense, slow offense. Let's have a nice 1-0 to start the season, using the basics we've learned.

Awards

2 hours ago, MrStarck said:

'm fairly proud of landing in second place, only behind @Varrus who was a fantastic coach aswell as a great human being to interact with. I wish you well in his new season in 4B, show them !

Thanks @MrStarck - i'm disappointed we won't be in the same division to enjoy another game!  Good luck - you have some scary looking teams to face but i'm sure you have the potential to soar!

Thanks for the kind words.

Uhm? Can I offer you Battle over "Paris" & "Notre Dame" with gigantic pink cannon?  I know it´s fiction, but I´m not sure why a Japanese anime studio puts a "Swedish" girl in Pippi Longstocking haircut in front of Unified States army vs Empire (Mary Sioux(Sue) v Tanya) They got the berserker state of mind right though. The ending in the cathedral is a great ending for one of the best anime movies around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsOQALSI-wY

Awards

Best of luck against CDs! They're my absolute least favorite race from a design standpoint, and now they don't even have big tall hats to make up for it in BB2... Anyway, in league play they get hurt so bad by MNGs, because it's a lot easier for you to split up 5 dwarves than 6, and that also means more fragile hobgoblins on the field.

Do note that they can take 2d-against blocks vs the TGs with the dwarves pretty safely (skull only comes up 31% of time), though this depends a lot on how big on gambling they are. Just so you're not placing all your hopes on a single TG holding in place on a crucial turn.

Main thing is just to split up the Guard pieces (even going so far as to getting a lone TG stuck on them is often still worth it, since it keeps them from causing havoc in a scrum, and you can push them towards the edge of the pitch every turn if nothing else) and be mindful of just how far that Break Tackle Bull can go when they do pull the trigger on the wizard. Relatedly, don't stall until the last turn if they still have it.  :D

Edited by Juriel

• 2 months later...

To comply with the pact that has been made with @Juriel who is kindly mentoring me, i shall ressurect this topic to follow closely on this season. As for S15, it has been a so-so season. The result were ok-ish (5-2-2) but i didn't felt any sense of improvment and i've been carried by dices on occasion. I've been impressed by @Sindain's with his Dark Elves and @Breschdleng who absolutely displayed to me how fun Goblins can be.

This season i'm looking to work on not being so overloaded by the number of skills on each team, and to include fouling in my plays.

NEW SEASON !! 

Here is my division (3C) :

• :lizard:  Styrkar - Crocktails & Longskins - 1660 TV
  • :kislev:  Punchimus - The 13th Platoon - 1870 TV
  • :orc:  Asiemoagelis - Death Hipster Gummy Bears - 1970 TV
  • :orc: Bruce L33t - OCC Murda Skwad - 1690 TV
  • :kislev:  Ruszi - Stay on Feet to Live - 1430 TV
  • :chaos:  Dimmy Gee - DG Chaos Cowboy's - 1610 TV
  • :delf:  MAD_FROG - The OCC Death Squad - 1870 TV
  • :orc:  DakaMan - D'Orcs 2.0 - 2070 TV
  • :vamps:  Crunky Chops - Serial Sinkers - 1640 TV
  • :khemri:  MrStarck - Ball Handling Masterclass - 1620 TV

First, here we are with the Khemri squad in all it's glory :

EihuwX.png

Tomb Guardians look pretty good and the killer Blitz-Ra is a scary proposition for elf teams. Sadly repeated death for the second Blitz-Ra and the other Thro-Ra meant i've lost other Tackle pieces. I'm a bit lighter on Guard too and i will probably pay for it. The ball carrier saved me a couple of time, being the extraordinary annoyance he is, i may have to rely on him again.

MD1 Styrkar - Crocktails & Longskins - 1660 TV

ahHdUg.png

I'm not liking my chances there. I see two abominations that can run circles around my only Tackle. With well developped Saurus and a Kroxigor with Guard / Stand Firm, i'm a bit afraid of what this team could do to me.

MD2 Punchimus - The 13th Platoon - 1870 TV

5Sso4S.png

Never played Kislev, i have no clue on how those are supposed to get around the pitch. I really need to take a good look at what they do before i meet this team on the field. I should be more than fine in a brawl, i just need to catch this extraordinay 7/4/4/8 Blitzer that could ruin my day all by himself.

MD3 Asiemoagelis - Death Hipster Gummy Bears - 1970 TV

9xMpyV.png

I'd like to say "no thanks". More Guard than me, more Strengh, more speed and more agility. I even see a dirty player goblin in the background. I really need to pick-up some Guard and a tackle or two.

MD 4 Bruce L33t - OCC Murda Skwad - 1690 TV

gxeiyb.png

In classic Orc fashion, i see more Guard, more Mighty Blow. If this team gets some more Guard before we meet i'll be in a world of trouble, espcially with the Troll being so close of Guard / Stand Firm.

MD5 Ruszi - Stay on Feet to Live - 1430 TV

5mAE4j.png

Same as the other Kislev team : i need to figure out what is this team's way of doing things. I see 2 AG4 Blitzer and i'm starting to have some discomforting flashback of Wardancers leaping other my line to mess with the ball i've slowly acquired.

MD6 Dimmy Gee - DG Chaos Cowboy's - 1610 TV

7rFL5l.png

An old friend from S15, i've really enjoyed our game (ended up 0-0) and he was a nice guy in general. 6 games to develop could give him the opportunity to get some much needed Guard and progress towards a killer goat.

MD7 MAD_FROG - The OCC Death Squad - 1870 TV

xDpFRc.png

That's a lot of Dodge. Emerging from this division will require some Tackle, and i didn't get at least another one at this point, i can't complain about loosing to this team. I'll have to keep an eye on that Witch Elf with Mighty Blow, she could be a nice player to hunt some skeletons.

MD8 DakaMan - D'Orcs 2.0 - 2070 TV

Hx7R8y.png

I'm not sure how to judge that team. There's too much Guard for me to handle, but at the same time he is carrying some Niggles around, so who knows how this team looks like by MD8. Especially since he plays all the brawlers of our division before it gets to be my turn.

MD9 Crunky Chops - Serial Sinkers - 1640 TV

vCoYWv.png

I don't know much about Vampires. From what i can tell i could blow-up Thrall just by breathing on them. That being said i've seen the devastating possibilities of Hypnotic Gaze.

Overall i hope to get out of this division without having the fightiness of it murdering the team. Regardless it should give me some good experience regarding facing more Guard and being outstrenghed. The Agile match-up are still very much a "work in progress" thing and i didn't get too much pratice last season.

We'll see how it goes !

Considering he removes the 30K extra in the bank, the TV should be like this :

1620 TV  :khemri: VS :lizard:1660 TV

Being on-par Guard wise is a situation that i'm not too fond of, especially when those are mounted on ST4 / ST5 players. I'd like to be able to reach the Skinks, but i think my opponent is way too good to offer my those occasions. I foresee a keep away game were i try to not get entangled in a massive brawl and an AG4 skink rushing towards the endzone at the end of the half.

I'm aiming at a draw here and will try to stay solid on my positionning to not open easy blocks for the lizards.

Awards

Sad omens for this season's start, we get a defeat.

YfkUKa.png

s8tuSE.png

Ball Handling Masterclass got a Babe.

1. Styrkar wins the toss, chose to kick. Very Sunny.

On turn 2 we score our first casualty, the Saurus is promptly given the proper treatment he gets back on his feets for the rest of the game. The lizards quickly respond with a Miss Next Game on a Tomb Guardian. The rest of the Saurus hold the line with the Krox, the combined Strengh / Guard makes for a complicated advance.

Turn 5 sees a Skink leaving the game for good with an random death on a newly raised Blitz-Ra. We are still swamped in the middle and i'm trying to extend said Blitz-Ra Towards the middle. A series of unfortunate blocks see The Glory of 2 Left Hands having to break himself free and attempt at a solo run to no avail : Skinks quickly catch-up and find the holy POW to put him down.

2. Both team gets a reroll

After some hits, the Lizards force me to retreat and concede ground. I have no illusion on my abilities to stop an AG4 Blodgestep skink while being outstrenghed. Styrkar plays his hand well and gets in scoring range. With a surprise "everybody that was laying down gets-up" i can put a little bit of pressure on the ball carrier which gracefully escape on a couple of 2+.

1-0 Lizards !

3. Both team gets a reroll. Touchback.

With 3 turn to score and a touchback, i start racing on my left flank. I was disorganized and had a leftover player on the other side which didn't affect the end of the game in a significant manner. Skinks catch-up to me again but produce a 1D Skull which gives me some hope. Sadly The Glory of 2 Left Hands falls on his rerolled GFI to blitz his teammate free.

The Lizards recover the ball to make sure i can't produce a draw.

1-0 Lizards in the end !

Conclusion :

I absolutely didn't know from which angle i could surpass @Styrkar's team and it showed. He played well and made me pay for my mistakes, while being a nice guy in general (go check his replay software, it's good i swear). A massive amount of thanks to @Juriel and the mentor program. He took the time to write notes and reviewed the game with me at the end. It really helped hammering some bad habits.

What i'm happy with :

1. Did not get crushed into oblivion
  2. Did manage to sneak some fouling into my plans
  3. Used Stand Firm properly (and it's amazing)

1. I'm bad in unusual situations (scoring fast being one)
  2. I should keep the Blitz-Ra away from the LOS (where they get stuck)
  3. Not being eager on using Pile-On.

As i side note, i think i'm playing a little bit too fast. I'm still learning things and rules of Blood Bowl. I should try to not activate a player for the first 30-45 seconds of my turn, just to take a good look at the situation before i could do anything i would regret.

I'll review my future opponent when his match is done, see you soon for the pre-game review!

Edited by MrStarck

Awards

Great read @MrStarck,

it was a very close game and in the end a very lucky win for me. Those Guard-Guardians gave me a lot of trouble and the touchback plus my pretty bad defense setup could have gotten you the draw, if not for that snaked GFI. I should definitely take more time to think about my moves too and I am still debating wether to apply for a mentor or not. 

Anyway, thanks for the writeup and of course the game. 

Good Luck for the rest of the season.

Awards

The TV should be like this :

1510 TV  :khemri: VS :kislev:1870 TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1510 TV - 150k in the bank

XWJR41.png

Punchimus - The 13th Platoon - 1870 TV - 150k in the bank

arm0q8.png

Missing a Tomb Guardian for this specific game isn't as damaging as it could be in my opinion. I'm much more afraid of the mobility that this king of team brings to the table. After having watched a couple of Kislev game, they act differently, depending on the coach. I've seen some leap madness, some are more akin to humans, even some on youtube that use Hail Mary Pass and Diving Catch. That kind of versatility doesn't bode well for my preparation.

The Bear with block is certainly annoyin, but i'm much more afraid of what that 7/4/4/8 Block/Dodge/Leap/Very Long Legs Blitzer can do to me. On the plus side there's a certain amount of skill that won't be of much use there for this Kislev team :

• Diving Tackle, not really looking to break away a marked player that way
  • Strip Ball, don't think i can afford to pick-up with anything that's not called "Thro-Ra"

At least that's some TV "wasted".

I think my best option is to present a solid defense and hope i can entagle some players in my line. I'm not really sure what my plan is and i won't make any prediction since i can't fully understand what is Kislev way of playing. That being said, i believe i have the tools to handle this game. I have to keep in mind that he could just buy a Wizard with his bank, that would absolutely seal the game in his favor.

Inducements :

I'm getting 360k to induce... stuff. 

This is where my inexperience appears, i don't know what i should take for sure. After having a look at the starplayers available, i've ruled out Ramtut III (don't think i need more strengh), Benoin (not looking to throw the ball), Humerus (not looking to catch a pass).

I'm leaning towards Setehk (220k), a Bribe (100k) and a Babe (50k).

Kinda want the Bribe to work on including fouls in my game, Setekh would give me an extra player that can get in and make the ball loose if need be. I'm afraid of being tagged by his players while the ball run-in with relative ease, this starplayer should fix that. The Babe is a classic "i have some money leftover, might aswell use it".

Any insight would be appreciated, see you next week for the game !

Awards

Setekh is the best value you can get, though the ST4 loses effectiveness when it's not in addition to all 4 TGs. 

When caging, take note to have Guard around your ball-carrier - normally you'd want a Guard on the opposite corners vs leapers, but you need 2 assists to remove that S4 leaper's chances... but you also need them to make your way forwards, and he has his own Guard leaper. So hope you don't receive first, and try to remove one of those threats before it's your time to go.

The 2 Catchers are the weak spot. Without them, mobility is unreliable, but you also cannot really lock them down. You can position your players one or two steps apart, so after a Leap they'd still have to dodge into tackle zones... if you can do it without weakening the frontline. 

19 hours ago, Juriel said:

The 2 Catchers are the weak spot. Without them, mobility is unreliable, but you also cannot really lock them down. You can position your players one or two steps apart, so after a Leap they'd still have to dodge into tackle zones... if you can do it without weakening the frontline. 

This. This so very much. Kislev can be the most mobile team out there or fall flat on their faces, never tie down all your players. Watch out for that ST4 AG4 blitzer as well, it is has a good chance to sack the ball in almost any situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaay, a draw! Improvments!

g6xALX.png

IkFTLv.png

Ball Handling Masterclass fot Setekh, a Bribe and a Babe.

1. I win the toss, chose to kick. 1 reroll for The 13th Platoon.

The first strike is for The 13th Platoon, immediatly killing The Face II. Fortunately, instead of becoming a useless pile of bones he promptly regenarated the fatals wound and stood there on the bench, waiting for orders. The second and third turns are quiet, only one Kislev Lineman getting KO'ed. The not-so-norse men advance carefully.

Exploiting the slow movement of the Khemri squad, they break through the very open left flank and create a cage there. There was no coming back from this due to my mistake. Could just pressure enough to make Punchumis's men score on turn 5.

1-0 Kislev.

2. Perfect Defense.

I spent a good amount of time setting up for a series of 3 dices block to be rewarded with a perfect defense. So be it! The glorious Khemri advance shall not be stopped by some puny humans. With 4 turns to score, i was confident enough that i could grind my way to the endzone.

The kick is deep and i make the mistake that will cost me this drive : i pull back my killer Blitz-Ra, Pain Killer Dealer. As highlighted by @Juriel, this will plague the rest of this scoring attempt. Gang-fouling the bear (sweet Snowball) proved to be innefective. Some stuns and even a nothing.

Turn 7 sees my mistake getting punished twice. Due to having the Blitz-Ra to far back, he had to play catch-up with the rest of the team. And with the piling-on on a key target, i had to resort to a Tomb Guardian blitz. And while On Treeman Tryouts has Block... he has a solid and beloved 4 MA, which forced him to do a GFI to comple the 3 dices blitz. The sneaky circus men must have layed down some polished grass there and he fell flat on his back.

3. Second Half. 1 reroll for The 13th Platoon.

We're still 11 vs 11, as The 13th Platoon suffered no injuries and i have enough bench to cover for the lazyness of Not The Face II, his "head" apprently still shaken.

Sadly there's close to nothing of value to report on this half. We still try to gang-foul the bear, but he will angrily refuse to get anything but stunned. Although we get a bonus from all this stamping on his head : for the rest of the half, he did bonehead around half of his awake time, probably still dizzy from the ground agression. I was told that his coach may want to have a word with him afterwards.

We do the slow Khemri advance, building a massive layered cage, each turn burning through my brain as i envisionned leaping Kislev all over my cage. At some point we kill comrade Sokolov, but the apothecary promptly fix him. I finally make a mistake and Punchimus jump in with a Wrestle / Tackle, taking the 1D i add anadvertedly offered him. The polished grass turns it's back against to leaper and he falls flat on his face (this time).

1-1 Khemri at the end of the half.

The 13th Platoon did try a one-turn, but Snowball (the bear) did not cooperate one last time and a failed jump ended the attempt.

Conclusion :

It was great playing @Punchimus, thanks for the game mate! We bantered almost the entire game and was a nice a nice guy in general. Two misposition from me offered him an easy score and bared me from scoring back in the first half. During the second half, with the bear essentially out due to a bunch of targeted 1's it was a cake walk for Khemri.

Still had to think really hard on each turn due to Kislev's possibilities. I'd like to thank again @Juriel for his dedication and his detailed feedback on the game. I clearly have a lot to improve on.

What i'm happy with :

1. Made decent cages (bared the one mistake during second half)
  2. Did manage to sneak some GANG fouling into my plans
  3. Rushing into scoring during the first half was a constructed and organized attempt (instead of a panic-fest)

1. Defense and specifically position of the Tomb Guardians was lacking
  2. Using the Killer on key targets as often as possible
  3. Not being eager on using Pile-On (still need to work on that one)

1640 TV  :khemri: VS :orc:2160 TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1640 TV - 110k in the bank

AKbfWa.png

Death Hipster Gummy Bears - 2160 TV - 150k in the bank

Ps3uYO.png

So that's a certain amount of strengh upgrade. :sir:

Same amount of Guard, but more strengh and blocking/killing skill on the opposing team. This promises to be a complicated game. I probably want the offense first to try and lay some damage on them before they punch back. At the same time, i think i want to limit contact to only offer the blitz as damage potential.

All this TV do allow me to play with some inducements, i should get 520k.

I could get Setekh again (220k), there is Ramtut III available (380k) and i think that's it for the interesting starplayers. Not sure route i should go, here are some options :

• Setekh (220k)
  • Bribe x2 (200k)
  • Wizard (150k)

OR

• Setekh (220k)
  • Bribe x2 (200k)
  • Igor (100k) or Babe x2 (100k)

OR

• Ramtut III (380k)
  • Bribe (100k)
  • Babe (50k)

I'd like Strengh 6, but it comes with Wrestle so not sure i will enjoy have him potentially lay around. At the same time 6 strengh could help me separate some guard Black Orcs which would be beneficial.

Setekh is a great too, i enjoyed his reliability last game. Final thoughts for the wizard. While i see him used a lot, i'm not confident i can capitalize on his the ball being loose inside a cage.

Regardless i should be carefull, this game can snowball really fast in the Orcs advantage due to the amount of Mighty Blows. I'm aiming for a draw constructed on the back of a steading offensive drive and a carefull defense.

See you for the debrief!

Awards

About Piling On.

I got Blitz-ra with MB and PO, and I use PO almost all the time.

If you broke armor and got stunned then I would use PO 110% of times. As then PO allows re-roll of Injury roll.

I would not use PilingOn only if:

- Blitz-Ra position is crucial to block TD.

- He already scored KO on victim (I would use it even then if this is turn late 1 half and opponent will have roll to wake up anyway)

On all other cases I would use PO.

You need to remove opponent players of pitch. Also many times your killer Blitz-Ra is safer on floor. People rarely foul (I never understand why) and I hate when they blitz/block my killer Blitz-Ra. He usually ends on floor anyway, he risk injury and he didn't used PO.

If you have high chance to be block and punched back use PO.

(at least its how I do this).

Also about Orks.

ST6 MB, Block Black Ork? Abomination!!!!

I would take:

• Ramtut III (380k)
  • Bribe (100k)
  • Babe (50k)
    OR
  • Ramtut III (380k)
  • Igor (100k)
  • Babe (50k)

I really like Ramtur, his ST6 is useful specially as addition to your normal ST lineup.

Wrestle is not that bad as this means he does not get injured on block.

Wizard is nice but its really hard to utilize him as most clumsy race in Blood Bowl.

If you dont like idea of Ramtut I would take:

• Setekh (220k)
  • Babes x2 (100k)
  • Igor (100k)
  • Bribe (100k)

While I love fouling , Orks are one of worst teams to foul with their absurd armor and high ST, you would need all guys on pitch and Sent-off vs Orks have much higher chance than get successful foul.

• 2 weeks later...

An expected loss, at least with limited damages.

FoG6dZ.png

1TdDCA.png

Ball Handling Masterclass got Ramtut III, a Bribe and a Babe.

1. I win the toss, chose to receive. Quick Snap.

The orcs line-up on the LoS confident in their strengh advantage. From the seven blocks of this first turn, the Troll gets Badly Hurt but promptly regen. Sadly, on the last block, Slow Feets, Slow Head gets a both down and injure himself. Following the troll example, he regens it.

On their turn 1 the orcs manage to injure Please not the Face I, our Guard skeleton. He gets -1 strengh and fails at rebuilding himself.

The rest of the half is uneventful. The orc team apply the same strategy throughout : basing every player and using his strengh/guard/block/fighting skill advantage to grind the Khemri team. By the end of the half one Skeleton is dead and our Star Thro-Ra is KO (and sadly will never come back).

The end of my drive has seen Ramtut III shine as he brilliantly uses Break Tackle to sack to ball, dodging through two tackle zone.

0-0

2. Quick Snap.

11 vs 11.

This part of his drive is uneventful too. The orc team apply the same strategy, basing everybody. The notable change being the Dirty Player goblin getting in and fouling almost every turn (won't get caught, that's a goblin conspiracy!!). From that point every regen will fail.

The orcs score on turn 12 after injuring a Tomb Guardian and two more skeleton. The Khemri side answer with a Badly Hurt on the Strengh 4 Blitzer.

1-0 orcs.

3. Both team gets a reroll.

8 vs 11.

At this point it's desperation mode and i'm trying to lure some orcs in my side of the pitch before running and passing the ball forward. This plan won't come to fruition. Two turns sees two Tomb Guardians getting KO'ed and another skeleton Badly Hurt.

On turn 14 i manage to dodge away and hurl the ball in their side. With no players back, this will at least limit the damage to 1-0. On turn 15 i have an odd chance to score, but the dodge fails. Still fouling every turn, that sneaky goblin gets Pain Killer Dealer KO'ed (safe!).

1-0 orcs.

Conclusion :

Thanks @Asiemoagelis for the game. When i looked at that specific MD, i thought it was an automatic loss. More Strengh, Guard, Block, Mighty Blow, more movement, more armor and more agility. Still there was a lot to learn from that game and i'd like to thank again @Juriel from the OCC mentor program. We went through all the desperation play i could've made. Be ready for when Nuffle will look at you and you might extract a win from a desperate situation.

I also realised through this post-match discussion that a Bribe is useful when you control the pitch OR if you're kicking the ball. Ramtut III was great, he failed all his dodges during the second half i could still see all the possibilities he offered me, thanks @Gobas!

In short : happy to not have lost a Tomb Guardian, valuable lessons were learned!

What i'm happy with :

1. Tried our Ramtut III, it was great.
  2. Did not loose anybody too important

1. Bribe on offense while being outstrenghed, never again
  2. Be better at the non-standard situation
  3. Not being eager on using Pile-On (yeah, it's still here)

The TV should be like this with a journeyman on my side :

1400(+40) TV  :khemri: VS :orc:1580 TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1440 TV - 120k in the bank

E6cqAB.png

OCC Murda Skwad - 1580 TV - 140k in the bank

EWm6ox.png

Missing The R.I.P. er, our Guard Blitz-Ra is a bit of a shame. It's balanced out by Brucel33t having his developed Black Orc missing for this game. Same amount of Guard, if i play my cards carefully i should be able to lead the brawl. The being said i should be wary of the Blitzer picking of my skeletons (and i don't have bench).

The AG4 Blitzer might be a problem if he gets to chase the ball, i should structure a proper cage all the time.

If TV stays the same, i should have 140k in inducement to play with.

Could be :

• A Bribe
  • A Babe

OR

• A Wizard

I'm even considering adding some money to get Setekh. I'm a bit on the fence with the Wizard as i have even less mobility than usual with one Blitz-Ra out. The Bribe carries the same kind of problem since i may not have the number to group around an orc and stamp on it.

Is it madness to think hiring 2 mecenary skeleton just for the numbers?

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. See you soon for the debrief!

Awards

My first reaction would be wondering why you don't have more Skeletons on your roster in the first place. Khemri really don't want to go into games with 11 players. Having more skeletons does weaken your random MVP gains, but your important players have the basic skills already, and you're considering Merc Skeletons anyway... But buying 2 Skeletons now would drop your bank low enough that you cannot replace a TG if you do end up losing one, so let's ignore the buying angle for now.

Wizard fireball can be a free Mighty Blow hit on 2-3 of their guys (with the side effect of maybe spilling the ball)

Bribes need you to really commit to the gangfouls to break AV9, and you might not have the gang for it

Babe is solid, because ANY removal is a threat in this game (but will only help the next drive)

Merc Skeletons give you both safety in numbers AND fouling potential (with the risk of losing the MVP)

I dunno, honestly. A Wizard is never bad (even if you eventually miss everything with it, it still forces the opponent to worry about it until then), but 2 Merc Skeletons are just multi-purpose.

Surprise win delivered from the hands of Nuffle.

vFGQ7j.png

8yhnAr.png

Ball Handling Masterclass got Skeleton Lineman x2.

1. Brucel33t wins the toss, chose to receive. Extra reroll for Ball Handling Masterclass.

The OCC Murda Skwad opens with a strong turn. Catching the kick directly, the Thrower runs it towards the middle, kills one the mercenary on the LoS while another gets KO'ed during a sneaky foul. A strong cage protect the ball.

With two players down for the drive, my strategy shift from an all-out defense to a damage control one : i'll trap some players and beat them down / foul while opening the flank.

Nuffle smiles at this clear denial of the ball existence to focus on the "Blood" component of the game. When turn 8 rolls around a Skeleton has been injured (but regen worked). In exchange a lineorc gets sent-off, one Black orc is Badly Hurt, two Black Orc are KO, 1 expenrienced Blitzer and a lineorc are also KO'ed.

1-0 Orcs.

I'll add the last turn of this half here. Only a Black Orc wakes up from his KO. This turn will also force the apo to act as a the Black Orc that just returned on the pitch gets his face removed (replaced by a Badly Hurt). A Blitzer is KO'ed.

2. Quick Snap.

In a catastrophic turn of event, only 1 blitzer wakes up again, leaving 6 Orcs to face 11 Khemri.

With the referee refusing to whistle fouls, i decide to push my luck and try to score twice in the second half for the win. Even with the ball landing on the sideline, it's a "quick run" for Khemri and we score on T11 while Badly Hurting the Thrower and a Blitzer.

1-1.

3. Rock (on Graaf, orc Blitzer).

Nuffle is still handing a solid curse to Brucel33t's squad : only 1 blitzer recover from his KO, leaving the Orcs to mount an offense with 5 players. The rock stuns the AG4 blitzer and the other one on the field fails the pick-up.

Khemri swarms the opposing half and score on T16.

2-1 Khemri.

Conclusion :

Thank @BruceL33t for the game, it has been a disgusting dicing that spiralled out of control for the orc side. But you managed to stay nice about it and i'd like to thank you for it. I really hope it gets better for the rest of the season.

There's not much to learn about this game. i'm just glad my switch strategy-wise worked. Altough it may not be reliable, it could be something useful to use again in the future. Thanks again @Juriel for reviewing this game, turns out there's always stuff to talk about and i'm glad you're there to shake my view on Khemri and help bounce ideas around.

The TV should be like this with a journeyman on his side :

1640 TV  :khemri: VS :kislev:1550(+60) TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1640 TV - 120k in the bank

Aepsu2.png

Stay on Feet to Live - 1550(+60 TV) - 100k in the bank

bDbleQ.png

We're at full strengh on this one. The best part is that Ruszi can't buy a Wizard even if he wanted to and he'll probably have to play at 11.

I have a solid ball carrier for this one given the absence of Wizard, the lack of Tackle and Wrestle only being carried by Linemen. The two MA8 catchers and the AG4 Blitzer are worrisome as they can run around as they please. As long as i lead a tight defense and a solid offense i should be fine.

See you next week!

Edited by MrStarck

Awards

Good to see a good poster doing good. Just want to show my appreciation.

But also, beware of those wrestle linemen. They may not look like much, but there will be a turn where you roll both downs agaist couple of them and your tight defense is suddenly lacking a few players. That is when all those AG4 wonders start leaping around exploiting every hole and weakness in your formation.

• 3 weeks later...

A deserved defeat that i inflicted to myself!

Ys4RgZ.png0wudve.png

1. I win the toss, chose to kick. Changing Weather : Nice. Touchback.

With the kick landing in one of the star Catcher and a Skeleton being remove right away (Badly Hurt, but regened), i start doubting my ability to stop a score entirely. I instead focus on attacking key players while protecting mine.

The Kislevites knows their stuff and the ball is hanging back, not comitting too early. T2 sees a -2d getting a Tomb Guardian 2x Niggled. Decay & Death leaves us (the Necrotect will fabricate a new "him" for the next game). I had this coming at some point, Tomb Guardians can't live forever!

Despite killing the Bear (-AV), injuring one Blitzer (Badly Hurt), injuring the Guard Lineman (Badly Hurt) and KO'ing one Lineman, i can't stop Ruszi caging near my endzone and comfortably scoring on turn 7.

I did not defend very well, but it was textbook offense from Ruszi.

1-0 Kislev.

2. Extra reroll for Ball Handling Masterclass.

We setup in the classic formation named "Oh shit we have 2 turns to score". Then Avoid the Face I manages to snake the first GFI.

Nagash blast his bones.

3. Second Half, Extra reroll for Ball Handling Masterclass.

Ruszi KO'ed Lineman is having none of it and stays out for the second time. With a quick Badly Hurt on an AG4 Blitzer, i decide something that will cost me the draw : i'll try to win. At this point there was 6 Kislevites on the pitch, only 1 KO in his box. I know i'm bad at strange situations where i have to score fast. We've discussed that at lenght with my OCC mentor.

So instead of playing it safe i tried to score fast and steal the ball. on the last drive of the game.

In short : i wanted to practice this "score fast" thing that seems to be useful from time to time.

1-1 on T 12.

4. Quick Snap.

6 not-so-northern men against 11 Khemri.

My first mistake was harshly punished : i had Skeletons 1 square away from the middle. The second was me misclicking (is this even a word?) the kick and making it a touchback. I won't dwell too much on the second, those things happens from time to time, you just need to pay attention (and to be honest with the MA8 AG4 Catcher in the back, he would have gotten it anyway).

Ruszi quickly block his way through my defences and free up his LoS players without rolls. This will prove absolutely devastating and they will score on turn 14, leaving me only 2 turn to score back.

With 0 rerolls in the bank, i can't manage it.

2-1 Kislev.

Conclusion :

I'd like to thank @Ruszi for the game. Looking back at the game he used the very special Kislev skillset to an impressive degree. To the Kislev fans, look at his offense during first half, it was a great spectacle. Good composure too, his team was falling into pieces and he was still very focus (from what i can tell).

I don't regret trying to win instead of getting another draw. I'd rather go down a division and get some much needed experience with the team. Thanks again to @Juriel, who keeps religiously watching my games and giving me so much feedback.

The TV should be like this with a journeyman on his side :

1620 TV  :khemri: VS :chaos:1770 TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1620 TV - 90k in the bank

XmmDwR.png

DG Chaos Cowboy's - 1770 TV - 80k in the bank

tZf6Zl.png

The MD has already passed but i still want to give my thoughts pre-game for the sake of being consistent.

If TV stays the same, i should have 150k in inducement to play with. So it's a clear Wizard, given the monstruosity of a ball carrier Dimmy_Gee is using.

The plan was easy : try to not present easy pick-off on Tomb Guardians with the Claw Chaos Warrior. As for the score, i doubt i could get better than a draw given that i can't stop the ball carrier without a zap. Then i have to break through and recover it (because this thing can get it back in no time).

The good news are that we have more Guard and Strengh, so i should try to lead the bash-game to force him to expose his two elf-goats.

Awards

Nuffle be blessed, it's a win!

1sQBF3.png

79B7CB.png

Ball Handling Masterclass gets a Wizard.

1. Dimmy_Gee wins the toss, chose to receive. Ball Handling Masterclass gets an extra reroll.

A short kick that gets promptly consolidated with some goats. Nobody dies on the LoS and it's the greatest day of my life. As a last action, the Wrestle / Tackle Goat blitz by himself a Thro-Ra to no avail.

I'm not looking to stop the score, decide to try and isolate some players and work on freeing-up my LoS Skeletons. I'd rather fight a fragment of the Chaos team and try to maximise Mighty Blow hits.

An absolute dicing ensues.

While the Chaos Brutes can't hurt those old sack of bones, i can hurt them just fine. A banana starts to form in my mind and i hear a ghostly - but oddly primate-like - voice :

"I use PO almost all the time."

So... i did.

Plus it looked like a decent way to protect my star Blitz-Ra from the Claw Chaos Warrior.

When Jessie James walk it in by turn 4, one Block Chaos Warrior is Badly Hurt and the Guard Beastman is KO.

1-0 Chaos.

2. Throw a Rock on Death & Decay (Tomb Guardian Stunned).

The Guard Beastman knows it's going to be bad, so he stays out. On the LoS blocks, one Beastman is Badly Hurt, another is MNG and the last one is stunned. I'm feeling invincible, especially after picking the ball up first try and surviving the claw hit.

The magic goat gets his magic activated and he blitz through 5 doges and 2 GFI.

Except that it activated Nuffles trap card : "If you play the ball this turn, you opponent will get even stupider injury dices for the rest of the game."

Aye.

So i blitz with Pain Killer Dealer. The magic goat get Badly Hurt into Apo and we pick the ball right back. A 1d Blitz on the ball equates to nothing despite a reroll, then it's Khemri time again. The AG 4 is near Pain Killer Dealer, so i figured i would use that Pile-On skill again. Bang. KO. The second goat basing the ball : Bang, stunned.

Having only 2 turns to score and being in the middle, i potato and pray.

Prayers are answered when 4 dices can't find a POW. The Wizard dispose of a Chaos Warrior marking the ball while a blitz pushes the goat aside. Massively Decayed Elf walks in, still dazed by his dash of luck.

1-1.

3. Second Half. Throw a Rock on Donald Cerone (LoS Beastman Stunned).

The Guard Beastman still knows what's up and stays out, while both AG4 Beastmen come back. 9 vs 11.

The pressure is off, i can't just slowly grind my way to a 2-1. The first turn see my entire team walks toward the ball (it was hanging near the sideline). All those protective mesures weren't even necessary, as the Glory of 2 Left Hands pick-up the ball and reconnect. Using some elf tactics the AG4 Goat gets 4d on the ball but can't find a POW again.

You know what comes when you try to play the ball :/.

A blitz into Pile-On, into KO.

Another Beastman leaves the pitch (Badly Hurt) and the Wrestle Tackle Beastman kills himself on a -2d. There's no coming back from this. Pain Killer Dealer is unstoppable and Badly Hurt another Chaos Warrior.

The entire Chaos team stays down while i get my first Tomb Guardian TD on the previously dead Death & Decay. Hurray!

2-1 Khemri.

Conclusion :

I'd like to thank @Dimmy Gee for the game. It was disgustingly one-sided but he kept his cool the entire time. There wasn't much to learn from this kind of game, i still was shocked by the possibilities of a sudo AG5 Beastman. Positionning has to be tighter and i need more Guards.

Thanks to @Juriel from the OCC Mentor Program. We discussed a couple of things post game, espcially Pain Killer Dealer level-up since he got a double (and proceeded to learn Jump-up).

1650 TV  :khemri: VS :delf:1820 TV

Ball Handling Masterclass - 1650 TV - 90k in the bank

YsieyJ.png

The OCC Death Squad - 1820 TV - 120k in the bank

keHlT1.png

If TV stays the same, i should have 170k in inducement to play with.

It looks like a Wizard and a Babe to me.

There's a ton of Dodge on this team and i should protect religiously my Tackle players. This AG5 Leap Blitzer is also a problem, i'm not sure i can stop him. The good news is he doesn't have Tackle or Wrestle, which mean i have a fairly reliable ball carrier.

From what i can tell, Dark Elves like to hunt Skeletons, this should be even more accurate with no Guard on the Druchii roster. I really need to do a good job with protecting them. 12 players tells me there's a potential for attrition.

We'll see how it goes!

Edited by MrStarck

Awards