BallztotheWalla

I, for one, welcome our new goat overlords

Why thank you - we promise that our rule shall be benevolent! As long as the sacrificial slaves are sent to the usual address each month, anyway.

It will probably also be a short reign, looking at the state of the teams (and the coaches) coming up to the Championship.

Commiserations and well done on second place! Both of us were using the Apo quite aggressively in the last few games - it worked fine for me...

Congratulations on winning the OCC! And with such an underplayed and weak race too!:clown:

(say the woodie coach..)

If I may ask @Hudd why do you not buy or use chaos warriors? Why only the beastmen? To suppress your TV? Was just wondering how you made it work given you are playing a bashy team that lacks strength and guard overall.

Awards

Chaos doesn't have that many titles actually, so well done @Hudd

It is actually only the 3rd title with Chaos (and the first by someone not living in Linköping, Sweden).

Congratulations @Hudd!

A couple of seasons ago, it looked like your all Goat team was crumbling under the pressure, but you pulled it around, made it to the Championship and won it all. Well played!

56 minutes ago, Pidpad said:

Chaos doesn't have that many titles actually, so well done @Hudd

It is actually only the 3rd title with Chaos (and the first by someone not living in Linköping, Sweden).

do you know the racial breakdown of all seasons? 

Awards

In bb 2 its:

numbers are the seasons they won

wood    1        
necro    2    3    9
bret    4    5
helf    6    7    
nurgle    8    11    13
orc    10        
vampire    12        
Goats    14

Edited by BallztotheWalla

24 minutes ago, Ynwe said:

do you know the racial breakdown of all seasons? 

If you mean winners, there are threads with those stats pinned in this very forum.

@Ynwe

I've seen a few previews of my teams with commentators saying things like - "he's obviously a good coach who is looking to challenge himself by not taking chaos warriors..."

Nope - I am very competitive and genuinely believe the all goat team is very very strong. (I've also won Big Crunch twice with goats)

The inspiration was Gusya's Khorne team back in BB1 days. They had a couple of killers, an AG4 ball carrier and lots of chaff. He won OCC twice before his team was destroyed. The goat build is hugely stronger as it has claw access for the killers, and not hindered by having frenzy on pretty much everyone.

The reason it works, is at the top of developed leagues, you generally only play elves or claw bash.

Against elves, you don't really need the extra strength, armour or guard that CW bring. Keeping your TV low means you get a wizard or bribes (or at least stop the elves getting them). Same damage output (or more thanks to getting bribes), extra mobility, extra inducements. I find its a good match-up.

Against horrendous Nurgle bloaty teams etc - again the extra armour of the CW isn't needed, as there is going to be lots of claw. The +ST - well, you don't want to be leaving anything based anyway. You can still cause loads of damage with the killers by picking your targets, do some fouling - and I've really lost count of the number of these match-ups where the wizard has won me the game.

There are bad matchups (Lizards are no fun unless the claw really kicks in, and I just can't wait to play Andy's 10 Guard Orcs), but generally these types of teams are not around at the top due to the preponderance of claw bash.

@Hudd

Thanks for the write up. Yeah I am looking forward to see how you will face the guard orcs of Andy :D Been following that team for a while.

But say you are facing nurgle, he will have more strength than you, so he can just load an entire flank and force you to do either AG 3 dodge or take more hits. If he puts 3 Str 4 players next to each other that maybe even have some guard, you will most likely not be able to free yourself. But you obviously had little issue given your amazing track record, so I just wonder how you do well in the non claw bash fights.

Awards

I won the DOCC with a goat team (not nearly the kind of accomplishment as winning the OCC with one, mind), and it's high on my list for when I re-roll. I'm a hybrid player and they scratch that itch, along with being fun each time because no two goat teams are ever the same, even if you have a plan when you develop them (which I don't) -- the stats and doubles (and combinations thereof) you get on your goats will define how you can play.

I find the fact that for a fairly low TV you can str 4 blitz every turn is worth a lot; nowhere is safe for a str 3 ball carrier except far down-pitch or in a sturdy cage, breakable with that wizard you so often get, or disruptable by your mino blitz because that beauty is str 6 when blitzing (or 8, if you were unlucky enough to be facing my old COL goat team).

Anyway, well done Hudd for proving that there alternative ways to play this game! Grats! :D 

Congrats! The GOAT goats.

Awards

I am very much with Hudd on this...
...for me, even in in tier 2 4 CW's are not as useful as 3 Beastmen and 1 Minotaur.
If my Warriors die/retire they are being replaced by Goats if it happens in Tier 2....

And well done Hudd :).

Grats Hudd, well deserved.

With your above statement in mind, why did you take a +st on a BM? Remember you had one when when we met in REBBL, were you also are running a all goat team. The St makes him more expensive than a CW, with one more mv on the cost of one av. 

Just to understand why you did not buy just a single Warrior if you wanted a st4 guy. 

...if that's for me, I'd take +ST on a Beastman...the AV9 and MA5 for a Warrior is debilitating when faced with a wall of Guard, Claw, MB....  

If only horns helped with break tackle when blitzing. All that cage busting...no, no, no, second thought: I would hate that.

You were the only team I could beat this season so I don't know you did it.  I wondered what you were doing in the Championship after we played.

Well at least Nurgle didn't win, so yay, Hudd.

14 hours ago, Smiling Tom said:

ST4 beastman means ST5 blitz...

oh, and BIG GRATZ, CHAMP!

But that also means not blitzing with claw pomb, which is not the case with Hudd lol

5 minutes ago, Jester77 said:

But that also means not blitzing with claw pomb, which is not the case with Hudd lol

I am sure such goat would follow those steps next

Considering part of it is keeping the TV low, it's a good question. That being said, depending on other skills and stats (current or planned), +str may still be motivated. I had a STR 4 AG4 goat in one of my goat teams, that's way better than a warrior with ag. :D 

21 minutes ago, Smiling Tom said:

I am sure such goat would follow those steps next

Well I am not sure about that, he will be one skill short until legendary, any why not guard when he is st4.

His blodge mino is the most irritating player.  Just leave it alone and hope it goes wild.  I do see the benefit of all goats but I felt like I matched up well against it and the Exes only getting one blitz a turn meant that big angry beast would stay put half the time as my thralls died.

And the ClawPOMB goats did manage to kill my newb thrall "Black and Blue Star Exes"  He was really hairy with a with some odd nubs on his head.  I looked personal.

Sure, gratz on the win, but we really appreciate your team doing what it was designed to do, killing and inflicting every stat break on the Nurgle teams!

Congratulation Hudd, a great feat indeed! 

May the Flame of Allgoats purify our league from the Nurgle Infestation afflicting it :D!

Edited by Galenth

On 2/6/2020 at 3:26 AM, Kjelstad said:

You were the only team I could beat this season so I don't know you did it.  I wondered what you were doing in the Championship after we played.

Well at least Nurgle didn't win, so yay, Hudd.

My plan for developed vampires is to pound the thralls and take some risks to score asap on offence - as it's a nightmare doing a normal running game against the hypnotisers. This is fine when it works... When you can't make a handoff it doesn't...