To Rat Ogre, Or Not To Rat Ogre

Rymdkejsaren

That is the question.

This is a discussion both about skaven starting rosters and about the much-debated question of whether you should play with rat ogre or not.

Apparently, there are people out there who don't think you should play with a rat on cheese steroids with the potential to mutate! :o 

I mean, c'mon:

bnvbQdQ.jpg

ROAR! He' got wild animal so he's a solid core to build around defensively (until he gets knocked down -- note to self: don't charge in with him every turn). He's awesome for tying down people with his tail, creating a bother both on offence and defence.

My current idea for starting roster is based on going full-risk, accepting losses and developing a few key players:

Rat Ogre

Storm Vermin x2

Thrower

Gutter Runner x4

Linerat x3

Reroll x2

= 990k

Facing mostly starting teams, this is still a lineup that can still dodge and steal and score. No doubt they'll lose rats and have to play with loners in the very first season. But the idea is just to develop some good scoring gutters and hopefully getting some mutations on those storm vermin and a skill or two on the ogre. Next purchase would likely be an apo, reserved for the players who roll mutations or stats as they'll be the ones holding the team together.

BRING YOUR THOUGHTS!

Any skaven team needs a Rat ogre. I mean who is going to get them out of fights in the local bar when the boys are caught "borrowing" a few choice items from the local populace. And as everyone knows, a good punch in the snout is often the best answer to the most complex philosophical arguments....

Awards

After killing, or at least removing, so many of them with elves and hybrids diring the early turns, I don't really find the argument of it being beefy all that convincing. I also like to note that you can get 2 and almost 3 linerats with the same price, giving you deeper bench that rolls more wakeup rolls if it all goes KO. And, finally, all the good and safe ways to use rogre that I've seen required rats away from ball sacking attempts and diminished the overall effectiveness of the team. 

But I still run all my Skaven teams with one, because I like the buggers. Go for it! 

2 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

Hmm, might want to start with 3 RRs when I think about it. I mean, if I'm going to embrace my aggressive play-style, I'll likely need them. That means two gutters instead of four to start with, though. :(

which probably is enough. gutters are the easiest to level up on the team so they wont really lack spp when they arrive in the team.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll come 2 weeks late to the party, because I really like starting with a Rat Ogre! Mostly because they buy some breathing room for Stormvermin to do their thing, and then die off to shave down your team value once they've fulfilled that role, but you know.

So the real question is just whether to start with 2 rerolls or 2 Gutter Runners. It's easier to keep just 2 Gutters safe early, and they'll level up fast whenever you do hire them, and Stormvermin need all the help they can get in order to get to the ClawPOMB stage, so I'd pick rerolls.