How Are Your Vamp Teams Doing?

Isha

MD2  Another tense one today with Dark Elves that had had two nasty witches.  A stripper and an STR 4.  

Do you ever look at the MVP and think "Please don't be a journeyman..."?  Well I have been saying "please be a journeyman" since I could buy them and maybe level them at some point.  Who do these legends think they are?  Mvp... so back to the game.

I scored first and my KO all came back.  we stole the ball, 2-0 at the half.  Elves did have three turns to try and score but we took it on a failed snake dodge and had no one in scoring range.  oh, threw a rookie vamp block and he decided to lust-dub skulls-dead.  

second half.  we managed to knock the ball out right away; I should have dodged into a tackle zone to pick it up.  they set up some nice elfy bs and threw a pass to the endzone.  Snake eyes on the catch.  This time we pick up the ball but the stripper elf knocks it out.  2-1.

Bats spent most of the last half in fear of the stripper.  I thought we were out of range but a leap later she is knocking the pig out of our hands.  luckily this MVP legend had sidestep and the witch frenzied into a red push/skull!  easy pick up in a tackle zone and after a hand off we are running toward our endzone.  now the ST4 jumps up and puts a 1D stumble on the ball carrier.  I was hoping she wouldn't dodge past Freight Train standing over her on the ground but odds were good.  

Now she has the ball but there is a train barreling at her.  Sidestep, stun, ball out of bounds.  Throw in was great, Doomy throws another great block so that the new MA7 vamp can pick it up.  Doomy was the the MVP moving people when we needed it.   MA7 gets a second TD to go with his vanity pass getting to 28/31.  First win of the season.

I guess I should share some also.  MD1 was vs Halflings with the chef.  That was quite a horrible experience. I've been on the other side of that...lol

Managed to sack the ball early on their drive and it looks certain for a TD and my new glasses told me i was getting up a thrall and it was a vamp, who promptly snake eyed blood lust and had to make some insane move to bite a thrall and cost me the TD (altho I should still have scored but Nuffle has been continually cursing my teams after playing Dorfs for a few seasons....)  I'm getting used to the new glasses now so hopefully no more silly mistakes...

Game ended 0-0 and I still managed a lvl up, which went to the safe 'block' option.  I'll get funky with them once i've got the core skills lol.

Khemri next and after watching his first game he seems very solid, so hypno/ball retrieval might be tough... we did get the funds for an apoth and have a MNG thrall so will get a loner.  I very much need a deeper bench asap!!!

LJ

2-1 for elves, almost 1-1. Still, I had utterly bonkers luck again first half. I would love to play one game where at least one of these things didn't happen: my gfi to score doesn't fail, I don't lose a vampire (or two or three) to cas and regen failure before turn 3, I get a blitz and only remove my own thrall with it or a thrall gets MVP. Any one of these things could stop happening any day now, I hope.

To be fair, I had some good turns second half and this was probably my third best match with these vamps so far (after my two wins), those elves were just better. Heck, my armour even held over 50% of the time, only a little worse than it should have. I can't be happy about this team or even BB overall yet (I have had a really shitty year; 3-1-12 last month, far too much down to bad dice at bad spots), but this game actually had its moments.

I played two games in CCL this week and was diced.  One team I played against was nearly 100% in everything.   No armor breaks at all.  I figured at that point nuffle owed me.  Blood Bowl karma.  I was paid back with a snake eye ball carrier dodge that let me go up 2-0 despite what my md2 blurb said.  All those things happened, just not in the order I recalled.  

Maybe you should get diced in ccl and change your luck, Bouffon!

Well I can't complain about MD2...managed a 1-0 win vs the Khemri player who put on some crazy pressure Second half after a blitz and the ball landed 2 or 3 squares into a flank....

Did end up scoring with a Thrall after I broke his drive and I didn't dare try with to score with a vamp with my bloodlust/handoff rolls.  If I get an opportunity to score and win games it's happening regardless for now lol.

Turn 13/14 looked pretty damned bleak but we made a great escape and got away with it... 2dice up hill to push my ball carrier back towards my zoneline and a 3 + dodge past the TG, followed by a turn of running and a last ditch 'toss it down the pitch' on t16...  Fun game but oh lord i'm going to need my coffee drunk earlier....CJTCs_great_escape_Season_1_MD2.JPG

Edited by LordJair

Lost 2-0 to dwarves. I had some chances - first drive I had a bare cage presented so I gazed a corner and two diced the ball - got pushes, rerolled, double skulls, kod vamp. A few turns later he accidentally started his turn with a one dice (that he assumed was two), got double skulls and I had another chance. This time all the dice rolled successfully, and I walked away with the ball after rolled a 3+ dodge 3+ pickup 3+ dodge 2+ dodge. Definitely a little lucky there. Unfortunately the subsequent turn I slightly misplaced my screen and left a triple gfi one dice, and he got the pow on reroll, and worse also picked up another KO. By the time the half ended he had chipped off another KO on a vampire and I was left with 1 vamp :/

After failing a one turn attempt, on my drive I then had three vampires. I felt like I still had chances if I could score quickly, given the opportunities I'd had first half. After setting up heavily on the LoS, got hit by a blitz, so mega punished for that. Eventually he threw a three man fireball that KOd another vamp, and I completely lost control of the game from there, so despite him having some questionable dice I couldn't recover. 

It's been a really frustrating ride these three seasons. I've had more success playing them in CCL. Dunno what's going wrong in the league, it just feels like I'm always struggling uphill against molasses.

Awards

I saw you had a good chance to one turn.   The blitz did you in. I think one turn you started off with a snake eye dodge that I found questionable, but that whole second half was rough.  

I also watched the stinkers play.  That is a good looking team too. 

Edited by Kjelstad

21 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

I saw you had a good chance to one turn.   The blitz did you in. I think one turn you started off with a snake eye dodge that I found questionable, but that whole second half was rough.  

I also watched the stinkers play.  That is a good looking team too. 

Yeah I think I scuffed the one turn. I wanted to push down the middle since he'd left it open, but I got it wrong somehow, and then the blitzing vamp bloodlusted and I think I messed it up at that point.

I'm not sure which turn you mean, but it's very possible I did something dumb at many points that game :D

Awards

MD3 and I screwed up after playing fairly well most of the game and just literally pushed his ball carrier into the end zone...I have absolutely no idea what came over me lol.

He got super lucky and my blocks vs ball carriers 2nd half were abysmal.  he also picked up in the rain 3 or 4 times second half lol...

Rolled a double on a thrall so went Leader for 5 RRs.  Just have to keep him alive now...lol

1 win 2 draws isn't looking great for a top spot but everyone has dropped points...so there's still hope...  Nooby ish humans next with a blodge catcher and one blitzer with MB I think.  I'm assuming I start saving for another vamp after i replace my av6 thrall...13 players seems enough for now.

LJ

Edited by LordJair

39 minutes ago, Kjelstad said:

Second half you should chew on your leader every chance you get.  After the roll is used.  And if you start on offence and score on two or three you can sit him. 

And you will double promote if you win your division so just level your vamps. 

There is something to be said for 'sucking' first season... that' i'm aware aha

I played MD3 today.  What a bloodbath!  Humans with two Mighty Blow.   I lost 2 or 3 the first couple turns and was down to 7 on 10 to start the second half thanks to one of his players not liking babes.  I  think every thrall was a casualty.   Maybe one was a KO at the end.  Doomy6 lost Agility.  Dead Freight Train, thank the apothecary.  Bantha had a Movement Bust, thanks Regeneration!  Everything was what you would expect*.  Pitch cleared on 14.  I did get one casualty but it was a natural one turner with a movement bust that his apothecary tried to murder. 

*if you are Doomy you expect this.  4-2 win, but hey, hard to play defense without any players.

Edited by Kjelstad

First loss of the season today against RSTD.  I had a great chance to score.  I had just pushed with a 1D block, dodged into a tackle zone and picked up the ball.  I dodged away and still had a dodge.  Freight Train would have had the ball with no tackle around.   I just needed to run away but I thought I could get one square closer to the end zone if I dodge by his player.  Stupid.  Unnecessary.   Snake eyes.  Bad guys pick up on 8 and tries to throw to a rotter down the pitch.   4 or 5+.  Rolls a 3, fail.  Reroll, catch and GFI were 6 6 6.  down 1-0. 

I tried to get free on a 1D block on my drive.  skull and then both down, I still think I need to push luck so I dodge backward and use 2 GFI to get to the end zone.  I fail a gfi trying to get out of the disturbing presence but pro it and make the throw.  we do not make the catch.  vamp gets surfed next turn and they pick up.  I was down to three or four players at that point.  End with one thrall on the pitch passing my last 3 turns.  Game over.

I am still really mad about my decision to dodge.  I at the very least tie if I had scored.  very depressing.  not that my score was guaranteed, but his would have been much harder. 

There was a play after I was down to two thralls where a thrall dodged out of a cage, GFI and went double stumble on a STR5 Nurgle Warrior holding the ball, so at least we stunted the growth of that monster.

4-0 to the Vamps MD 4.  

Humans rolled over.   Lost another thrall tho.  Trying to keep at 13 players before buying the next vamp...

3 Level ups, 2 on the same vamp.  Blodge for him.  Another thrall with a double - so went with dodge on him.  Was super torn on that as i quite like thick skull...

My rolls were nuts... very little failed, altho i did double bloodlust and almost fluffed a crowdsurf...

Khemri next... we'll see!

LJ

I haven't had a thrower but that's mainly because the rolls haven't come at the time.  As Vamps have many options I've always required something else beforehand.  Spending SPP on a thrower really depends on your play style and if you have an +AG vamp.  Vamps are good throwers without the skills most of the time :)

On another topic.. 

For the first four matches I've somehow managed to win them all and I'm sat at the top of the division.  Best start ever and really shows what a difference when the dice are kind and you've got a few skilled vamps!

As I've had such a good run of matches recently I'm starting to get hit by spiralling expenses more and more.  I don't think it will be an issue for the next game or two, but I think long term I'll have to cull a few skilled thralls and then really focus on the Vamps.  I've currently got 6 vamps and 9 Thralls.  What are people's opinions on keeping any skilled Thralls?

I've got three Thralls with skills.  1 with wrestle, tackle and kick.  1 with wrestle and strip ball.  1 with leader and normal skill pending.

Other than the leader Thrall, I may get rid of the others in time and just keep rookies. I very rarely use their skills and they just tend to get bitten or knocked off as a good Thrall is designed to do. I'm tempted to take kick on the leader Thrall and replace the other kicker with a rookie to save some TV.

Nice start!

I was going to recommend the same thing with the leader.  I have done the exact the same.  Only one thrall to protect.  Once they get more than one skill it feels like bloat unless they are ball strippers; they all die the same. 

Again on the thrower I am always thinking gazer with ag5.  Sidestep and Pro.  Being able to toss the ball down the pitch on a 2+ with built in reroll would be nice, but you only get one offensive drive if you are doing it right. 

Edited by Kjelstad

I get to play similar TV Brits today.  I have 160 in the bank.  Enough to buy back to 6 thralls, or I can buy a vamp as I am down one for the game (4 vamps +1 MNG) I don't know about buying a 6th until I have a bench.  

I think I just throw away this game and buy a thrall, then hopefully only the mercenaries die and I have 5 vamps and a thrall or two on the bench next MD.  right?

Edited by Kjelstad
I have 5 vampires.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:02 AM, Kjelstad said:

I get to play similar TV Brits today.  I have 160 in the bank.  Enough to buy back to 6 thralls, or I can buy a vamp as I am down one for the game (4 vamps +1 MNG) I don't know about buying a 6th until I have a bench.  

I think I just throw away this game and buy a thrall, then hopefully only the mercenaries die and I have 5 vamps and a thrall or two on the bench next MD.  right?

6 Vamps with not enough snacks sounds like a recipe for disaster? :)  It's hard to throw any games too!

1-0 win for the Vamps vs a struggling Khemri team.  

I totally hosed up second half as he caged extra carefully, being a couple of players down, I failed hypno enough to not be able to break in but we slowed them down enough to force them to stretch and create an opening. 

6 block dice vs a block thro-ra ended with a skull/both down from a block-less thrall...and giving him a chance to throw/score.  He made the 5+ throw but failed the catch.  I then rolled enough 1's to be unable to get  tackle zone on the ball....his skelly picked up and then failed the trip-wire test on t16 to get the equaliser....  My block dice were horrendous, rolling more skulls than both defender stumbles and defender downs combined...his av rolls were so awful though, with the MB Tomb Guardian doing very little...

3 wins 2 draws  puts me 2nd...  I'll probably get run rings around next week by pro-elves who have 2 blodger sidestepping blitzers, an agi 5 mighty blow catcher(!) a wrestler and a kicker... eep!  this will be one of the first games in ages where i'm not facing crazy inducements though so that must help...

LJ

4 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

It would be 5 vamps this game but I have already decides to go with the 4 vamps as three of them are pretty good players.

gratz on the tripping skelly.  Hopefully you got some spp too.

One more levelled Vamp... still being boring and going block on these...will get creative after the basics lol

They get fun after you get the basics.

The 4 vampires worked for the first half.  Then I was pitch cleared.  My opponent down 2-1 thought about running out the clock but after 3+ minutes decided to score on 14 and see if he could take the ball and score with two turns.  We used all of our rolls and some pro to throw it in the end zone for the win on 15.  Well, he had a shot at a 1 turn but it failed the pass.

Freight Train had 16 SPP so team development is not going well.  The errant pass on 16 was a gift bouncing into my thrall's hands but he threw a 2 on the pass.  I really want a leveled thrall.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:10 AM, LordJair said:

One more levelled Vamp... still being boring and going block on these...will get creative after the basics lol

I don't know if you're alternating with dodge and block, but after my first blocker I went with dodge on the rest as first skill (unless a stat comes up).  Of course they all get there in the end, but I find dodge more valuable early on to just get around.

@Kjelstad what's your ideal number of vamps and thralls?  I decided to dump my kicker (wrestle,tackle+kicker) and keep my leader thrall with a new skill (kick) instead.  Trimming the TV down helps a little.  Although my latest game I had two killed Thralls and one MNG for my next match.

Speaking of which I managed another win, so that's 5 now.  My opponent had some pretty terrible dice throughout mind.

Next game against the mighty @Bantha and hopefully his less mighty elves! Should be interesting playing against someone with so much vamp experience!