How Are Your Vamp Teams Doing?

Isha

My money is on implosion.   He beat me last season and has nothing to lose now.  The team is retiring so they will empty the treasury.   Even winning doesn't win the title since it is so close. 

Mediocrity or skill, there is parity in the tier.  I will just push my luck and see what happens 

@LordJair @Kjelstad

As far as the skill of coaches in our division goes, we have the reigning OCC Champ, a recent former champ, a streamer who competes at a high level and another streamer who is the current Chalice Cup holder. I've always said it's better to be lucky than good though! 

Speaking of lucky, Varrus the Thrall is still very much alive and kicking - I watched him get punched, fouled and eventually KO'd by Vampire bite in his last match. After that he very sensibly stayed on the sideline. 

You don't make it to the champs without some skill involved. That might be biased since I've been there twice now, but in my defence I was saying that years back when I wasn't capable of breaking past T4. :D 

Anyway, looking at the leaderboards, I certainly hope we get another vamp champ, and not some other, less interesting team! :ham:

1 hour ago, Varrus said:

Varrus the Thrall is still very much alive and kicking

I thought every thrall named after an opponent had died before playing their namesake. I lose so many I seriously can't keep track.  Nocola18 and Rip me a New Vag both died.  I guess I could look at spike sometime.   And I was being a bit flippant when I called the tier mediocre.  Just trying to make excuses for being here.

As far as being here goes, Spike says I have played nine matches in every tier other than the 68 matches in T1/Champs.  So three admin games or it is screwing up; that adds up to 8 seasons, 3 were in T1.  Fifth time is a charm.

I played my ass off today.  I was taking a little extra time to plan things out since this was a big one.  My opponent was taking his time because he had 1000+ TV shaved off his team MD1 and kind of gave up then.  He had a deep cage on his first drive but after that it was just trying to murder my team.

Dice went well other than 10% pro but I never plan on pro.  T16 I was hoping it would work a second time for a pass into the end zone, but no.  I was trying to run up the score for tie breakers and now I just sit and wait on the Elves.  There are some Chorfs too but you are not going to score 8, @Fantus:P

Oh, the bolt killed Freight Train then apo broke his jaw

Edited by Kjelstad

Easily one of the most annoying BB games I've played in years.  Had a few easy shots on the ball carrier and nothing worked out and I was also 4 thralls down by turn 3 (vs no MB and limited blocks, altho we did kick).

All the BL fails came in clumps and my dice were generally god-awful whilst his were sick, including his interception of my last ditch desperate play...  1,1,2,1 happened at least 3 times.  Pro was already helping quite nicely but ugh.... lost 1-0 and only made 7SPP including the MVP...hah but what can you do when your opponent fails almost nothing hah :)

unknown.png

Got enough cash to buy back the dead Vamp and one more thrall so we go in looking vaguely healthy.  The kicker did die but it was so early on I didn't dare risk the apoth.

Overall a fun season but that match made me remember why I quit Vamps a long long time ago hah !

Thanks for the advice, tis a nice lil thread :)

LJ

Edited by LordJair

9 hours ago, Varrus said:

he would have to be playing someone SERIOUSLY incompetent

I know who his opponent is.  I almost tagged him but he seems competent enough to fend off an 8-0 beating.

4 hours ago, LordJair said:

we did kick

I never kick.  I try to score early and make my opponent feel like they have to push the ball to score. Bring me the ball.  If I can be up two or three at the half I feel comfortable.  

You sound as if you are giving up.  Are you done with the CJTCs?  It sounds like you are buying back players for next season so maybe not. 

Yeah, I needed to run the score up.  Elves can score a lot but they are playing a competent if not frustrating coach that held me 1-1 last week.  Still, the one TD lead I had was not reassuring.

Miserable season for me again, but at least I signed off for a win. Played the loosest and worst I have all season but dice just decided "yes"... Anyway, need a break - both from the team, so I can step back and re-evaluate, and also just gonna be very busy for a month or so. After that fully intending to pick the vamps back up.

Awards

1 hour ago, Shanba said:

Miserable season for me again, but at least I signed off for a win. Played the loosest and worst I have all season but dice just decided "yes"... Anyway, need a break - both from the team, so I can step back and re-evaluate, and also just gonna be very busy for a month or so. After that fully intending to pick the vamps back up.

Vamps can be quite punishing when the dice are against you and you're still early in development (as in no legends yet!).  They certainly play the long game! Hopefully see you again soon!

We may even start hearing more about BB3 when you return, although no sign of vamps yet for that.  So no doubt we'll be here for a while !

On 5/22/2021 at 9:21 PM, Kjelstad said:

I know who his opponent is.  I almost tagged him but he seems competent enough to fend off an 8-0 beating.

I never kick.  I try to score early and make my opponent feel like they have to push the ball to score. Bring me the ball.  If I can be up two or three at the half I feel comfortable.  

You sound as if you are giving up.  Are you done with the CJTCs?  It sounds like you are buying back players for next season so maybe not. 

Yeah, I needed to run the score up.  Elves can score a lot but they are playing a competent if not frustrating coach that held me 1-1 last week.  Still, the one TD lead I had was not reassuring.

After reviewing your division, does Sindain need to get 5 more TDs compared to their opponent to beat you?  And Fantus needs 6?  

You never know but it's really looking good at the mo. We'll know tonight once they complete their game!  Fingers crossed!!

Interesting on the kick front.  I'm still learning but generally I let the opponent go first if I have a choice. This really comes from my experience with other teams though,  I'll have to mix this up a bit in the future.

18 minutes ago, Bantha said:

Did you just won the bloody trophy! 

Nope. We have to wait and see if Chorfs can win by 6.

Crunky only scored 2 today so I will win the t1/champs rubber football!  Unless Chorfs win by 9 or I see you can win it with just 5.  

Edited by Kjelstad

32 minutes ago, Kjelstad said:

Nope. We have to wait and see if Chorfs can win by 6.

Crunky only scored 2 today so I will win the t1/champs rubber football!  Unless Chorfs win by 9 or I see you can win it with just 5.  

Alas my opponent conceded as he had enough early on from my crazy dice. Don't blame him really. I didn't even check on the rubber football! Was it close? 

Looks like I'm joining you in the champs then! 

We can virtually call it yours now. Has a chaos dwarf team ever scored 6 TDs in one game!!? 

Edited by Crunky Chops
Typo

2 minutes ago, Crunky Chops said:

Alas my opponent conceded as he had enough early on from my crazy dice. Don't blame him really. I didn't even check on the rubber football! Was it close? I never checked..

We can virtually call it yours now. Has a chaos dwarf team ever scored 6 TDs in one game!!? 

If you're the chorf coach, that creates some incentives to play REALLY strangely. Could be an interesting one to watch

Awards

On 5/22/2021 at 3:21 PM, Kjelstad said:

Definitely not done with these Vamps yet!  I'm always miserable after a dicing...lol 

I tend to find it easier to defend and score on an opposing teams drive than score my own.  I guess when more teams have MB and other nasty skills I'll be less likely to give them the first round.

I am hankering after a Frenzy vamp tho...because we just dont throw enough dice!

Looks like the Dark Elves in Champs lost so you're pretty much guaranteed the title now?  Grats!!!

5 hours ago, Crunky Chops said:

Alas my opponent conceded as he had enough early on from my crazy dice. Don't blame him really. I didn't even check on the rubber football! Was it close? 

Doesn't conceding come with a warning still? It's super frowned on unless you're down to < 3 players...

Yes. Your tier admins should take care of it, though feel free to inform them if your opponent conceded to make their job easier. Concession is a bannable offense, and while we give second chances at times depending on circumstances, we do take it very seriously. But you might not see the effects because you can't see other coaches' warning points. From the outside, there's no difference between a well-behaved coach and someone who has multiple warnings and teeters on the edge -- until they're banned that is.

1 hour ago, Varrus said:

You're home - let me be one of the first to congratulate you!

I watched your game.  I was hoping for a win by 3.  I think the turning point was that 1D skull blitz through his line in the second half when you should have been setting up a foul on that bull.  That was when the dice turned murdery