How Are Your Vamp Teams Doing?

Isha

On 8/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, LordJair said:

i should have skipped on this season after some horrendous luck in every game i play atm.  Tried some CCL and literally cant go a single game without taking multiple death/stat busts so gave up on that...lol

3 snake eyes in the first two turns.  Managed to pro the pickup and then fail the pickup again so it wasn't technically a snake but...

Only failed 9 blood lust rolls out of 33 but 4 of them were double 1s and caused a removal.  

We still managed to score on turn 3 despite being horrifically down on numbers already and were down to 5 by turn 5.

Wiz almost managed to stall the first half score but almost every hit he took caused a removal.  one dice non tackle, non MB hit on my lvl 5 vamp killed it and regen failed.  had already used the apoth on an early MNG vamp to save the match.  i guess i need to stop doing that if its not a stat bust/death...  The first 3 or 4 hits he got vs the vamps injured each which as i was limiting him mostly to thralls annoys a lot...not like he had piling on or claw...

Also took a niggle on another vamp.  Did get a level up but I'm already kind of done with this season

The only plus being one of the vamps with block did get a double 6 lvl up... so i guess yay?

I had the same feeling falling through the Tiers like a stone.

Lost vamps after vamp.

Thralls wasted all went down, down. So I switched, tried some Elf and now looking back at my old team.. they do actually not look that bad. 

It's like bad games and it goes wrong all we see is the bad part. 

Double 6 hurray!

And yes never use apo on anything else than stat-burst or RIP. Unless it's the championship it's about.

9 hours ago, Bantha said:

And yes never use apo on anything else than stat-burst or RIP. Unless it's the championship it's about.

This is my philosophy as well. Late in a tie game I had already lost a vamp last week so I did apo a ko.  Then a niggled super star almost ruined my day.  Regen on 6 so apo might have been bad.  If it wasn't the championship I would not have used apo on KO.  In the middle of a pack of DPs.  He did end up scoring I believe, so right call.

And thralls might get to use apo on t16 if they are super special.  I don't have special thralls. They are fodder.

And you need to be smart after using your apo.   After my opponent said GG on T4 I explained that my luck would turn.  I knew my luck would turn bad but I kept pushing.  I used my apo soon after and saved a niggled superstar.  Later when I couldn't do anything and I kept losing players, I kept pushing to take the ball again.  I had plenty of rolls since snake dodges were my downfall (56% dodge) so I thought I should push my luck.  

It turns out being up 3-0 with a few turns left was when I should have made a business decision and ran away.  My favorite gazer took a boot and lost AGI, I think I would have rather had STR bust since it is the only player without tackle.  7448 is not a bad stat line, but gaze now fails twice as often.  

I am not a great coach, I just have a great team.  AG5 vampires are unstoppable.  I still have one, but he is the slowest player on the team.  Hopefully we can pull out a few more wins.  297spp is a hell of a career and there are still more games to play.

@Kjelstad indeed, ag 5 means a lot, but I made it without so, you can do it also!

I had my fist apo this game (yes the second), talking about that, saved it/him/her/etc and saved .. last blitz of the game, (it turned out to be) both down and as I was playing Ogre, it was turnover.

My Thrall who claimed enough to skill, went dead, apo dead. 

So much for that, but lucky thing in it, it was on a thrall. 

Anyhow, I know have Three skilled vamps,

Block

Dodge

Move+1

I just cannot turn down that. 

Did not count spp, but it was not amazing still 2-0 in T5 with rookies, this will not last long now. 

My horrendous dicings appear to be easing slightly although this weeks game looked rough for a bit.

The Dark Elves we were facing had no MB but did have 2 S4s, enough sidestep to be a pain in the ass and a couple of guard and blodge everywhere.  With no tackle it was always going to be crap, especially with 3 vamps.

We lost 1-0 but we made him earn it so it felt a lot better than any of my games have for a while.  I'm still making stupid mistakes basing players who are all about the bash when I should be minimizing hits and had something of a mental breakdown turn 13 or so when I should have been able to push for a score.  I did make a T16 attempt that got all the way to the endzone and got tripwired...  I got the cash for the 5th Vamp and a thrall to take us to 12 players.  I'll replace the niggled Vamp at some point but I need the others to get going ASAP.

Got Ratamo's Brets who are 17 1 1 or something insane. He's down to 11 players as a Wrestle/DP is MNG.  He still has one DP tho... and a bribe stadium.  The Bret blitzers look typical with blodge on all 4, and smatterings of tackle/sidestep and even diving tackle.  He's got one blocker with wrodge/mighty Blow but thats the only MB on the team.

With the 5th vamp added we're giving away 170k TV which is going to be a pain i suspect.  I presume he'll go wiz, or maybe induce more linemen with DP...

Should be a decent match, I badly need a couple of tackle in the fold and to start scoring again.  

Well the pesky Brets did their thing and won 2-1. I definitely made a couple of mistakes and feel I played fairly well but the attrition caught up with us again.  That and the constant stream of snakes and double skulls.  3 double bloodlust fails and 3 double skulls... Ratamo's dice were also plagued with some 1s also.  I swear the RNG is just an ass...lol

No perm injuries but we're down to 11 again for our 3rd Bret game out of 4 matches.  Thankfully the fouls were mostly ineffective and the ref caught almost everything.  I'd say yay it's the last but we have lizards, chorfs, killer humies after that so....

No levels again but some SPP creep towards them.  Really badly need some tackle...

Block dodge tackle.  

We had our first failure this week. Up 1-0 with an 3 player advantage we pressed the ball.  Instead of marking him we went double gfi fails.  Then trying to sack the ball we pushed the side line.  3+ 3+ 2+ dodges ran past my tackle and tie game.

Second half was tough and we quickly lost players as his KOs came back.  It would have been a loss but he pathed to the ball, back to where he was, then the end zone.  This was to avoid tackle zones but it made him select the player again and reset his path.  

So I missed being able to go anywhere I wanted with super gaze but I should have lost this one. 

Hate Brets, hate Dauntless.  I never kick deep.  go shallow and steal the ball.  then he can't do all those safe BS passes while he murders your team.  ...with awesome dice.  He would have needed half his team to protect the ball if it were in danger; not many people for assists.  God damn you need tackle.  and the dice need Vaseline.  that is a lot of armor break.

Seven players out in six turns.  not much you can do with that.  long drives are not your friend.  Turn 8 I might not have risked biting a thrall.  A leader Thrall.  It worked out though.  for the thrall.  The KO not coming back again hurts a lot.  

T9 I would have moved up a scoring threat so the whole team was not coming at you maybe?  T11 and your last snack is now gone.  you are doomed.

Well, he knows the dice are on his side as ag3 is picking up in tackle zones, needless passing and then going for it with no rerolls.  Leveling up a couple players is good on your part.  this is lost.

77% lust.  Pass 60%.  Casualty and injury dice explain the game well.  16% pro!  I do not like pro early.  Block, Dodge and Tackle are far more useful.  maybe if you use him to gaze a lot it is good but I would not take more yet

I don't think your bench was deep enough for a dirty thrall.   maybe you had exactly 70k but a second thrall or babe might have been worth spending money on.   the only other advice I can give is to pressure the ball constantly.  and maybe roll better.  :)

2 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

Hate Brets, hate Dauntless.  I never kick deep.  go shallow and steal the ball.  then he can't do all those safe BS passes while he murders your team.  ...with awesome dice.  He would have needed half his team to protect the ball if it were in danger; not many people for assists.  God damn you need tackle.  and the dice need Vaseline.  that is a lot of armor break.

Seven players out in six turns.  not much you can do with that.  long drives are not your friend.  Turn 8 I might not have risked biting a thrall.  A leader Thrall.  It worked out though.  for the thrall.  The KO not coming back again hurts a lot.  

T9 I would have moved up a scoring threat so the whole team was not coming at you maybe?  T11 and your last snack is now gone.  you are doomed.

Well, he knows the dice are on his side as ag3 is picking up in tackle zones, needless passing and then going for it with no rerolls.  Leveling up a couple players is good on your part.  this is lost.

77% lust.  Pass 60%.  Casualty and injury dice explain the game well.  16% pro!  I do not like pro early.  Block, Dodge and Tackle are far more useful.  maybe if you use him to gaze a lot it is good but I would not take more yet

I don't think your bench was deep enough for a dirty thrall.   maybe you had exactly 70k but a second thrall or babe might have been worth spending money on.   the only other advice I can give is to pressure the ball constantly.  and maybe roll better.  :)

Appreciate you taking a look! The majority of the KO rolls were 2-s if I recall. Haven't been making enough cash to replace the players sadly. Didn't have the inducements for 2 basic thralls and am not spending cash on inducements where poss. He was kind and didn't murder anything t16 when he could have before scoring the 3rd so that was nice. Got a tackle vamp again now. Despite only minimal spp we did get 3 lvls.  Aiming for 2 vamps and a thrall with tackle if we ever get that far hah.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, LordJair said:

I genuinely challenge any of you to watch my current weeks match and provide any tips on what i should be doing.  As far as I can see it , another complete dicefucking.  I'm kinda tired of it.

Hey

I just had a quick look as well.  I've got to say I never kick deep either with a kicker skill in play.  It puts a lot more pressure on them to get the ball safe if you manage a short kick.  They will want a nice deep kick so you're playing into their hands since you haven't got the speed to get to it.  

Other things I noticed, you had a pretty good play chance to pressure the ball at the start, but your order of play wasn't right.  You blitzed and did other dodges before moving the only vamp onto the ball (I think it was your blodge SS one as well).  Because you had a turnover you never got to the most important part of the play. That's not to say you would have kept the ball but you would probably have forced him to bring his players back and stop targeting your thralls for a bit.

Related to the above, you really lack dodge as well.  I tend to find dodge my preferred pick before block.  I know we've discussed this before, but earlier on dodge is more useful for protection and mobility than block and will be used more.  You rolled quite a few 1s on dodges that forced a RR so hurt your overall drives a lot more than unused block skill.

Also I would probably have kept some of the thralls on the ground rather than just standing them to mark players and giving them a free block.  At least then you've got a blood bank on the pitch.

You'll have games like this all the time unfortunately.  Thrall removals and dicing.  Just always pressure the ball and move your players up the pitch and hope that your thralls only get stunned

9 hours ago, Crunky Chops said:

Hey

I just had a quick look as well.  I've got to say I never kick deep either with a kicker skill in play.  It puts a lot more pressure on them to get the ball safe if you manage a short kick.  They will want a nice deep kick so you're playing into their hands since you haven't got the speed to get to it.  

Other things I noticed, you had a pretty good play chance to pressure the ball at the start, but your order of play wasn't right.  You blitzed and did other dodges before moving the only vamp onto the ball (I think it was your blodge SS one as well).  Because you had a turnover you never got to the most important part of the play. That's not to say you would have kept the ball but you would probably have forced him to bring his players back and stop targeting your thralls for a bit.

Related to the above, you really lack dodge as well.  I tend to find dodge my preferred pick before block.  I know we've discussed this before, but earlier on dodge is more useful for protection and mobility than block and will be used more.  You rolled quite a few 1s on dodges that forced a RR so hurt your overall drives a lot more than unused block skill.

Also I would probably have kept some of the thralls on the ground rather than just standing them to mark players and giving them a free block.  At least then you've got a blood bank on the pitch.

You'll have games like this all the time unfortunately.  Thrall removals and dicing.  Just always pressure the ball and move your players up the pitch and hope that your thralls only get stunned

Appreciated.  I will have another watch through and the kick advice definitely makes sense!  Not sure I even remember the ball pressuring so i deffo need to revisit it.  Many thanks!!

Having played vamps for a few seasons now I can honestly say they are the most interesting of all the teams in bloodbowl to play. Take a game that is by nature chaotic and hard to plan ahead and add in yet more random factors and you have the hardest tactical challenge you can possibly have. I think I've managed some of my best and worst plays of my career with this team! Although it can feel like you get diced a lot, and I certainly moan about it on discord, more often than not I've simply done moves that weren't necessary when doing nothing would have been better - mastering bloodlust certainly seems the key to success with the team - and since adopting a 'less is more' attitude I've found things are a little better! The ideal vamp move is not moving - and that requires top notch positioning skills :)

2-1 win over the chorfs so our first points of the season. Totally undeserved but we will take it. 

The niggled dodge/pro vamp took -str but we can't afford to replace it so ball retriever and light work only till we get some winnings....

No level ups but edging closer on a couple...

Oddball lizards next who randomly fired all but 1 Saurus after md1 for no reason... as long as the krox doesn't behave we might have a chance...

I've had enough Dwarf and chaos dwarfs match ups recently. Squishing my poor Thralls and spamming tackle everywhere. 

My last game against chaos dwarfs I had two vamp deaths but thankfully apoth and regen came through and saved them both!! Phew. I managed 2-2, was looking good for a win but couldn't stop his last ditch attempt at the touchdown. Disgusting str5 blodge break tackle bull .. 

I did manage to get another legend! He's currently got +MV, blodge, pro, ss. I just rolled a normal, so nothing too exciting.. But as he's now my fastest vamp (my other mv7 vamp legend got a - mv a couple of games ago) I'm thinking ball hunter, so tackle? Although, I've got three tackle already. Or strip ball (rarely used).. Or diving tackle (rarely used again).. Guard?

Hmm, Any suggestions? 

Dorfs are usually easy for me since they are so slow.  I actually look forward to them.

sidestep and diving tackle don't go that well together.  and it is less tempting without tackle and jump up.

You don't see many elves up top but the bash ball carriers all seem to get dodge, so tackle could be good.  

and AG3 bash teams all have sure hands on the carriers.