How Are Your Vamp Teams Doing?

Isha

Sad times.  I lost a legend vamp this last MD. He was my main blitzer with Block, dodge, MB, tackle, pro and jugs. 

It was a pretty horrid game against orcs where snakes came up at bad times and ended up losing 2-0. Regen was working overtime but failed on this most important one! 

Back down to 5 vamps

On 8/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, Kjelstad said:

I had an AGI MV thrall that I got attached to as well as one can, and it took an elf to the face. I think it was late so I even broke the rules and tried to apo it.  Still dead.  Don't love your thralls. 

I always get bashed to shit by elves. That must be why Andy went elves.  

Must be the time of the season.  Thoroughly fucked over by dice, but not injuries, I also broke the rule on t15 and apothed my dead blodge/guard thrall into a niggle.. so let him take the death (it was already av6) ...needed to purge some of my TV anyways...

Made the mistake of hypno'ing 2 basic nurgle warriors turn one to get a 2d hit on his niggled killer, and greedily re-rolled the double push to a dub skull and KO'd my own vamp... hah even multiple players down i must have sacked the ball 4 or 5 times but to no avail.  On the plus side no vamps took perms and there was a small amount of SPP.   Woodies next and they're rather insanely alive with lovely dances, 4 catchers and a tv of 1990... I'm down to 1850 so....could scum a wiz or bribe/babe....or i guess igor...  I'm kind of desperate for some wins...currently  16 / 9 / 17...

Edited by LordJair

I should be thankful really, I've had no perms stick on the vamps in a very horrid div.  woodies, nurgle and dark elves next.  I'm wary of the elves as they're more able to pinpoint hits on critical targets and i usually end up getting beaten up more by these than the killers....the wood elf coach plays very well and I'm going to struggle to compete if i get pulled out of shape...

Sigh... +AG Blodge Pro vamp fouled to death, MB Blodge vamp blitzed to death, third Blodger permed, levelled Thrall killed, all within the first half. Apo turned the first death into a perm, regen saved the third vamp, but down my two best players and a much needed Tackler for most of the game. Somehow managed to still pull off a win, but my team is wrecked.

Oh and MVP went to the dead Thrall, because of course it did. 

It didn't feel like a dicing this week but the dice said that there was a silly amount of ones. The worst one was a T16 catch (drop) in the end zone. We are definitely going to T1 next season. 

What is the break on the AG+ vamp?  MA is the only semi acceptable, but he will level more slowly.  Anything else and his days are numbered. 

3 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

It didn't feel like a dicing this week but the dice said that there was a silly amount of ones. The worst one was a T16 catch (drop) in the end zone. We are definitely going to T1 next season. 

What is the break on the AG+ vamp?  MA is the only semi acceptable, but he will level more slowly.  Anything else and his days are numbered. 

It's actually MV+, not AG+, my bad. And the break was AV-, so yeah, he's probably not long for this world...

My brain literally fried this week vs woodies.  My initial few turns were fairly horrid and I somehow managed to zone out enough for the final BL fail of the turn on my ball carrying vamp to not make it to the nearest thrall and just dropped it and legged it off the pitch.  My focus has been horrid this returning season.

It was still fairly entertaining but we werent getting a result after that.

I see all these horrible injuries above and I'm still counting blessings... for now.  Nurgle team #3 of the season this week and again they arent super horrible, but they're definitely grindy as hell and have enough pain causing pieces to concern.

Final game is versus dark elves...he seems to be hell bent on potatoes and TDs as fast as possible with little protection so if I play that properly that should be an easy game...

Final Nurgle of the season...1-0 win for us!  I'd love to say I played fabulously well but the dice Gods were truly kind and other than a dead thrall from a gfi and a my agi 5 blodge/tackle vamp MNG'd it was fairly basic.  His AV rolls were the worst I've seen and mine were excellent...and I still only managed a 1-0... but we'll take it.

Still deciding on what to give the S5 Blodge vamp now its finally hit 51spp...

Amazingly the DP niggled thrall has made it through to the final game of the season...

Edited by LordJair

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat diced the Dark elves md9...but we'll take what we can... 3-1 and another TD closer for the M8.  Could have risked another but needed 3x 2+s and if I'd screwed up they may have gotten some elfy bs in and equalized...

Vamps are back on even win/loss ratio now which I'm happy with.  18/9/18.  We took no perms/stats on the vamps despite a horrid division.  Probably time to cycle some of the thalls.  I dont think I can risk a 6th vamp still with 2 niggled thralls.  Will wait on any decisions till I get to see the division makeup next season...

It's nice to go out on a high...usually my MD9s are mired with some sort of horrid death(s)...

Team is here.... up for suggestions on where to go with them if Vamps can make it to the next levels...

https://spike.ovh/team?team_id=4523768&platform=1

LJ

Edited by LordJair

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

New season, new division, same old shit.  vdKFddS.png

I thought I was going up 3-1 at the half but the dice just fought me the whole game.  I did eventually stun some players around T13 but I was just trying to foul out my remaining players.

I'll be back right here next week to bitch

Jeeze thats worthy of a whine... damn dude....was shocked to see how few divs there were, i think it usually slows down towards the end of summer... 

I verse a 13 player Dark elf team Sunday...nice witch, 3 guard and a lot of blodge.  Only 2 tackle though...If i can stop throwing away games I might have a chance of not coming bottom this season!

That GG toor competition was really well run.  I managed to fail to qualify with vamps, throwing away a couple of games with just mental exhaustion i think...had some fun with it though and hope they do again!

On 9/23/2022 at 8:50 AM, Kjelstad said:

New season, new division, same old shit.  vdKFddS.png

I thought I was going up 3-1 at the half but the dice just fought me the whole game.  I did eventually stun some players around T13 but I was just trying to foul out my remaining players.

I'll be back right here next week to bitch

Impressive stars. That's one hell of a rough game.

I myself am just struggling hard with new vamp team in its second season. I'm so sick of not have blodge and tackle. It's killing my spirit to play to be honest.

@LordJair "If i can stop throwing away games I might have a chance of not coming bottom this season!"

That's a rough line. I feel you.

Freight Train cracked his skull and then apo tried to kill him but regen did its job. Once.  

I had a turn with five ones today.  There were 11 non ones but four of them were my armor break after a failed dodge.   Then a troll rerolled dub skulls and the murder started, and regeneration stopped.  Luckily the good guys were still able to go up 2-1.  

With four thralls, an equal number of legends and a wizard we were able to pull off enough fuckery to keep orcs from scoring and walked out with our first win today. 

Got tilted early after failing to stop a 2 turner from a very well played but weakened kislev team.  Figuring we'd get a few hits in and maybe smack a catcher back on my drive, they got perfect defense, a nice kick and I managed two dub skulls before going for the ball, which was promptly picked up and tossed backfield.  We almost got it back but a series of bad decisions just played into the kislev hands and we went 2-0 down.  I have rewatched and I should have been able to at least push for a 2 turner myself but picked the wrong side and wrong pushback directions etc.  Even with them failing almost nothing first half I should have made them work for it much harder.

2nd half I figured I'd use the bribe we'd picked up to maim the bear but a failed BL and poor AV roll burned the bribe and didnt take mr bear out either.  

There were glimmers of hope after a couple of half decent turns and we got 2-1 but more poor prioritization and positional play (I was obsessed with the catchers!)  left the kislev with a fairly easy 3-0, unexpected the pass to the only non-loner lino which pegged it way off out of range.  Not helped by yet another triple 1.

I should have bailed on the 1 turner and just tossed an easy pass as it wouldnt have saved the game and would have levelled the m8 vamp.  Not that I'd have made that either as I rolled 4x 1s out of 5 dice, failed BL on the blitz to begin the pushes which I ignored, and a skull/defender down rerolled to another dub skull....

key dice rolls definitely went against us but with some better positioning i should have been at least able to draw that. Overall the dice were average. Disappointed yet again. 

Some insane Orcs next week who have rolled 4 agi boost, which has limited the MB/tackle to a single piece, and he doesnt really utilize his 2 agi4 blitzers and agi5 !!! thrower much.  5MB tho and a DP with built in bribe and probably a wizard is going to make it pretty painful.

2 hours ago, Kjelstad said:

Every turn I have been setting up to fail lately.  

In desperate search of inspiration I watched your game...there were some very familiar turns but you handled it brilliantly...very very nice!  That t16 foul on Freight was a little silly but I guess you get used to that with a monster player like him...

Disappointing but expected result of a draw vs the agi boosted Orcs. Should have lost but for a tripwire (deserved after burning RRs with greed hits). 

Mistake early led to 2 fouls on my s5 blodge but he sustained those and used up both bribes only to get MNGd later. Also lost a couple more thralls and a mng on my leader. Tv dropped 430TV for the next game vs Orcs. 

Did get the M8 vamp levelled and opted for dodge. 

Torn on where to go with him next. Wrestle may be fun with jump up but i dont tend to put wrestle on vamps...  should i skip block and go sidestep/sure feet?

2K+ orcs next with a few niggled players, so considering the star wolf with claw...

• 2 weeks later...

This next one is dedicated to someone that has been an inspiration over the decades and I have really enjoyed.  

This week was killer Nurgle coached by someone that used to kick the shit out of me in The Big Crunch.  As I normally do, I named a thrall after him in an unflattering way.  That brought me up to 15 players and a TV of 2340, 10k from the next spiral.  But it also gave them a wizard,  Max (str4 chainsaw) and two bribes that were eventually spent niggling legends. 

Turn one,  I had left a 4th player on the line.  Legendary vampire.   Max only stuns him while my opponent passes up a +3 foul to GFI for a +2 foul on his unflatteringly named thrall.  MNG, that would be the first of many removals.  It was also when they stopped talking to me.  Turn 4 the opposition was using rerolls on blocks to remove my sixth player.  Turn 7 was the worst a thrall would take when Aunt Man died.

We normally do well on offense but could not score on our only drive.  After possessing for one turn on our entire drive, thanks to a blitz we could have set up better for, we finally had to just throw ball up the pitch so that they would not score.  Bats finished the game with two players on the pitch; 8KO, 9CAS and a death. 

Luckily regen worked and the three touchdowns we scored in the first half would be more than enough to sustain our victory.