Mentor program: Sign up here

Ynwe

New to the game and/or want some help learning the game? You have come to the right spot! Sign up here and we will get you into contact with a mentor who can help you with whatever topic you wish to talk about! This can be in the form of a simple conversation, by playing a mock game, or reviewing one of your past games together via screen share. 

Before we can help you, you must help us though. Please do introduce yourself in as much detail as possible. The more we know about you, the more likely we are able to help you! 

Some topics you should mention: Your preferred races, how long have you been playing Blood Bowl, What are you having trouble with (setting up blocks, race specific match ups, level ups, etc.), what things you wish to improve etc.

Please remember the mentors are doing this in their own free time. If you sign up for this be forthcoming to them. We will never force you to do anything, but do be on time if you set up a meeting with your mentor. If you no longer need the help, just leave a quick message.

Time Frame:  Sign ups for the mentor program will always be open, however before the beginning of a new season we will wait with the allocation of students to mentors until we have a full list of all  the new OCC sign ups for the coming season. This allows me to allocate mentors more optimally towards the students and their needs and still  allow for students to be connected with the mentors before the begin of the new season.

• Ynwe pinned this topic

Hello!

I am ctjester in discord/bloodbowl and would love to have a mentor for elf coaching. I will be playing pro elves in my first season of occ.

I am primarily a bash coach with experience with chaos, dwarves, lizards, and norse. I am trying to expand my horizons and learn how to be a proper elf coach. I have about 300 to 400 games played against humans in blood bowl and honestly think i could use improvement in positioning on both offense and defense. I do know how to screen but often over commit and get stuck in brawls.

Any help that I can receive would be amazing to have.

Thanks!

Hi! My name is Sidra and I'm brand new to blood bowl. I've not played any races outside the human team in the campaign. I actually still haven't beat the campaign but I'm past the tutorial parts and almost finished. I plan on being done before my first game in the league. 

I'm mostly interested in Dark Elves and Amazons. I created a Dark Elf team for the league because I know a little more about them.

As far as what I need help with, I guess just general playtips. I haven't lost any games in the campaign so far (did get a draw) but they have all been close. I tend to overfocus on one spot on the map and cluster my guys. My positioning needs work, especially my opening formations.

I also move slowly. The timer never goes off on me, but I'm slow enough that I'm sure I'll annoy my opponent. I'm really working on speeding up but I tend to make mistakes if I do. (I play some miniratue games and slow play is always a bad habit of mine) 

I'm getting better about paying attention to player classes but I still am bad about viewing all my guys as equal. I think having my own team with characters I named is going to help though.

I also think I probably pass too often. I just really like passing, lol. 

I hope that's not too much info, lol. I don't expect to be good anytime soon, but I am happy with any loss I can learn from. 

Oh, also what is "surfing"? 

Edited by Sidra

32 minutes ago, Sidra said:

Hi! My name is Sidra and I'm brand new to blood bowl. I've not played any races outside the human team in the campaign. I actually still haven't beat the campaign but I'm past the tutorial parts and almost finished. I plan on being done before my first game in the league.

I don't want to discourage you, but fair warning is in order: the AI is, to put it nicely as possible, totally atrocious and if they put any effort in it, it was effort to make it bad. Be prepared to have your ass handed to you by more skilled coaches for some time.

15 minutes ago, raspel said:

In Blood Bowl context: I think, it's crowdsurfing - pushing your opponent outside of the pitch (and letting fans beat him up). 

Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, Bouffon said:

I don't want to discourage you, but fair warning is in order: the AI is, to put it nicely as possible, totally atrocious and if they put any effort in it, it was effort to make it bad. Be prepared to have your ass handed to you by more skilled coaches for some time.

Oh believe me, I know.  I'll do my best but I have no expectations of victory.

I've been playing x-wing miniratues for 5 years and I still regularly get my ass kicked, lol. I'm bad at strategy games, but I love them, even when I lose. As long as I can learn something from the match and no one is being a dick to me, I'm going to have a good time. 

One of my favorite quotes is:

"Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." - Jake the Dog

26 minutes ago, Sidra said:

One of my favorite quotes is:

"Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something." - Jake the Dog

Someone after my own heart, even if I personally prefer:

"There's a benefit to losing. You get to learn from your mistakes." – Megamind

Hello everyone,

I'm burning_phoenix, I'm not quite a complete rookie as I have a few seasons in other leagues, mostly playing Pro Elves and Humans so I decided to switch it up and play Dwarves in the OCC! I'm starting to get somewhat of an understanding playing fast teams like Elves and Humans (screening...etc) but I actually have little experience with caging/bashing teams and would like some advice on how to press an offensive and how to position on defense.

I'm running Undead this season, which is a new team for me. I do ok with the slow/fast nature of chaos dwarfs, but MA3 mummies and MA7 ghouls are next level slow/fast. Would like someone with undead experience to review my matches with me this season. Positioning will be my main focus.

Hey! I'm Kinroth. I'm really new to Bloodbowl. Most of my games so far have been on Orcs, Necromantic, and Undead. I have liked the idea of playing Skaven for quite some time, but have never been able to get over the anxiety of playing a low strength, low armor team. Nonetheless, I've committed to playing Skaven in my first OCC season! I have been practicing a bit with Skaven and it's very obvious to me that I don't really understand how to play as an AGI team, especially against other AGI teams. I think this comes down to my inability at the moment to visualize where pieces are supposed to be going on the pitch. Stacking guard on bash teams and pushing a blob of pieces forward is a simplified way of playing, but I think I need help with understanding the optimal spot for pieces to stand and formulate a multi-turn plan in order to create more chances at scoring while minimizing my opponents ability to cause me problems two or three turns down the line.

Awards

5 hours ago, Kinroth said:

Hey! I'm Kinroth. I'm really new to Bloodbowl. Most of my games so far have been on Orcs, Necromantic, and Undead. I have liked the idea of playing Skaven for quite some time, but have never been able to get over the anxiety of playing a low strength, low armor team. Nonetheless, I've committed to playing Skaven in my first OCC season! I have been practicing a bit with Skaven and it's very obvious to me that I don't really understand how to play as an AGI team, especially against other AGI teams. I think this comes down to my inability at the moment to visualize where pieces are supposed to be going on the pitch. Stacking guard on bash teams and pushing a blob of pieces forward is a simplified way of playing, but I think I need help with understanding the optimal spot for pieces to stand and formulate a multi-turn plan in order to create more chances at scoring while minimizing my opponents ability to cause me problems two or three turns down the line.

Hey Kinroth, looks like you have come to the right spot! Also glad you took a budget elf team :P. Definitely can help you there, will wait till the weekend to see if we get anymore sign ups and then begin with the allocation of students with mentors!

On 7/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, Sidra said:

I've been playing x-wing miniratues for 5 years and I still regularly get my ass kicked

I didn't play it much but bought everything they sold up until phase 9.  I got my ass kicked when I did play.

I have never played a game with any type of elf but as I am west coast I would be happy to try and find a time to play a game against your fake vampires (not the ones in the league) just to give basic pointers.  The first time you play against a person you will think, "but the computer never did that!"

My availability is sketchy on the weekends but if you ping me on discord we might be able to set something up.  My Monday and Wednesday night will probably have time as well.  We could throw a couple of teams in OCC brawl.  Though I think you could use your OCC team in "Friendly Match" if someone wants to explain weather or not that is true and how that works.  It is my understanding that you gain no exp and it alters the team in no way.

28 minutes ago, Kjelstad said:

I didn't play it much but bought everything they sold up until phase 9.  I got my ass kicked when I did play.

I have never played a game with any type of elf but as I am west coast I would be happy to try and find a time to play a game against your fake vampires (not the ones in the league) just to give basic pointers.  The first time you play against a person you will think, "but the computer never did that!"

My availability is sketchy on the weekends but if you ping me on discord we might be able to set something up.  My Monday and Wednesday night will probably have time as well.  We could throw a couple of teams in OCC brawl.  Though I think you could use your OCC team in "Friendly Match" if someone wants to explain weather or not that is true and how that works.  It is my understanding that you gain no exp and it alters the team in no way.

Ynwe assigns the mentors at season start, and OCC teams are not allowed to play friendlies.

On 7/21/2020 at 5:09 AM, Suido said:

I'm running Undead this season, which is a new team for me. I do ok with the slow/fast nature of chaos dwarfs, but MA3 mummies and MA7 ghouls are next level slow/fast. Would like someone with undead experience to review my matches with me this season. Positioning will be my main focus.

@Suido I will have a look on your gameplay during our match in T5. I ran a successful Undead campaign in a German league two years ago.

Hey folks. Played quite a bit of BB1 but was never particularly good, stopped playing when BB2 came out and just got back to it. This is my first serious league back at it and trying to focus on my play with the team I mained back in the day; Norse. Anyone fancy teaching me how to do well, in particular looking for setup ideas and how to best make use of Frenzy and level up my Ulfs. 

Thanks,

King_Kebob

• 1 month later...

Hello all. I had played a little bit of bloodbowl in 2019 but only started playing on a regular basis since March 2020. I've played a lot of the Rebbl spin league with mainly bash teams and have also just completed a colleage season and the subsequent PSPU with Norse, which in hindsight I would have changed my starting roster but that's another story.

Happy with my first foray into an organised a league my appetite grew. I noticed that the OCC is a popular league and thought I would give it a go. The other teams that I enjoy playing are the stunty teams and so decided to start the OCC with goblins. I'm pretty average skill wise I would say but know the basics. I'm under no illusions that stunty teams aren't competive against other races but I do find that their punished nature to help with learning key aspects of the game. What I find unclear at times is how to set up in starting formations against various types of teams both offensively and defensively. I feel like that this aspect needs to be nailed if I'm going to be mount any sort of challenge to my opponent. Any other goblin tricks and tips would greatly be appreciated. I've joined the Goblin Town discord, the guys give good advice there however would like to have a mentor for my goblin team for a short while at least to improve my game. 

Thanks for the read!

Awards

Hey there @Magnus the Pink! The season is almost over, so you will have to wait a few weeks and I would slot you into the program once it starts again with the next season.

So overall I gather you do have some experience and are comfortable with more than just the basics of BB and are looking for fine tuning gobbos and offensive/defensive kick off formation? And its good that you seem completely aware that gobbos aren't going to be a very competitive team. Albeit we do have some great gobbo coaches like @Gobas that pride themselves by winning elsewhere, for example by doing 16 fouls in a game!

1 minute ago, Ynwe said:

Hey there @Magnus the Pink! The season is almost over, so you will have to wait a few weeks and I would slot you into the program once it starts again with the next season.

So overall I gather you do have some experience and are comfortable with more than just the basics of BB and are looking for fine tuning gobbos and offensive/defensive kick off formation? And its good that you seem completely aware that gobbos aren't going to be a very competitive team. Albeit we do have some great gobbo coaches like @Gobas that pride themselves by winning elsewhere, for example by doing 16 fouls in a game!

That about sums it up ;)

Awards

Winning?
With Goblins? Blasphemy!
Goblins are all about fun, mayhem and stupid/fun/memorable situations.

Yes best coaches can win with them more than lose but those guys are good coaches anyway and lose some part of fun with goblins in the process.
I am not good coach at all. But I tried to have fun in all games I play.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm returning to Blood Bowl after a loooong hiatus, I've got the basics down but I'd love to improve.

I feel like one pretty much random aspect of my gameplay is setting up my team (whether it's receiving or kicking) and figuring out a high-level strategy. I usually play very in a very abrupt fashion with no general concept behind what I'm doing so that's something I really want to get better at. Since my favorite races are from all over the place (skaven, nurgle, goblin) I feel like this mentality really hinders me from improving. I've read quite a few articles and if someone has any good links, I'd love to read more but obviously I'd prefer if someone had some free time and discuss these topics for quicker learning and a chance to ask questions.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:19 AM, Barvey Hirdman said:

Hello, I'm returning to Blood Bowl after a loooong hiatus, I've got the basics down but I'd love to improve.

I feel like one pretty much random aspect of my gameplay is setting up my team (whether it's receiving or kicking) and figuring out a high-level strategy. I usually play very in a very abrupt fashion with no general concept behind what I'm doing so that's something I really want to get better at. Since my favorite races are from all over the place (skaven, nurgle, goblin) I feel like this mentality really hinders me from improving. I've read quite a few articles and if someone has any good links, I'd love to read more but obviously I'd prefer if someone had some free time and discuss these topics for quicker learning and a chance to ask questions.

heyho @Barvey Hirdman, sorry was out of town so getting back to you a bit late. If I may ask, what race are you playing in the OCC? Feels like there are a lot of things you want to improve on, so I wonder if we could list some key points you want to improve at. As far as I understand, you want to improve at: 

- kick off formations

- planning your turn

-planning your half

Is that a fair summary?