How Many Catchers

danton

So, I'm playing Humans in the OCC, because yeah I'm a masochist it seems! :wacko:

In all seriousness they are a team that I enjoy even though they are sub-optimal in a long-term league format, so I'm curious to see how far I can take them before they implode in a pile of bloody limbs!

I am still getting used to AV 8 catchers, which are considerably more durable than their AV 7 predecessors and am wondering what the optimal number of catchers at mid to high tv would be. My gut tells me that 3 catchers in a roster of 13 or 14 could be a good ratio, but I am aware that I need a decent number of fodder linos to soak up hits too.

Currently I am at 11.5 players (-AV MNG lino) with 2 catchers and both catchers have potential (Block and +AG on one and +MA on the other), so am interested in other people's experiences with catchers in human teams in long term league formats like the OCC. How many would you aim for with what roles (sacker, receiver, ball carrier, one turner, etc.)?

Well i think building catcher as oneturner machine is pretty much one-trick pony. He hogs the SPP and if he gets hurt, it hurts whole team. And as humans are flexible, so should catchers be.

Ball carrier role goes easily to thrower, he has sure hands allready and STR3 so he isnt that easy target. He is slower than catcher, but that doesnt matter if you have to cage him. And if danger is approaching which you cant avoid there is allways pass option and with pass skill that is pretty safe. That leaves catcher to do other stuff but what is up to you.

Id probably make one offensive sacker and one dedicated receiver and depends much what opponents id be against if id buy 3rd.

I usually keep 3 Catchers for 13 or 14 players. Since I prioritize defencive roles over offencive (Humans can attack, but for winning they need to work hard in defence), my Catchers are defencive: Guard and ballsacker (Wrestle+Stripball+Dauntless). There are only 2 places for Catchers not on LOS in defence (8 non-LOS positions, that would be 4 Blitzers, 2 Catchers, Kicker and Dirty Player; with Ogre on LOS, which is questionable), so the third Catcher is usually a generic benchwarmer.

I wouldn't normally do Catcher-balcarrier without +AG, or specialized oneturner without +MA. But it is exactly your case, so why not to try? ;)

@Hobnail I realise that catchers can get both DP and SG, but that seems very expensive for a fouling piece and a waste of his other uses. Would rather have a DP lino to be honest.

@Ratamo - I like to have some flexibility regarding the ball carrier. Against agile teams I would more likely cage and carry with the thrower, but against bash teams I would rather screen and use the catcher to carry the ball.

@raspel - yeah that is similar to my thinking, although I don't think I will make the +MA catcher into a one-turner, because of AG 3. I'd rather try and one turn with the AG 4 catcher and get the extra push. The +MA catcher could make for a long range sacking threat with Wrestle and Dauntless / Strip Ball though.

29 minutes ago, danton said:

@Hobnail I realise that catchers can get both DP and SG, but that seems very expensive for a fouling piece and a waste of his other uses. Would rather have a DP lino to be honest.

SG is a waste - that's not why they are good foulers. Their extra MA and dodge skill mean they can get to more targets much easier.

2 hours ago, Hobnail said:

SG is a waste - that's not why they are good foulers. Their extra MA and dodge skill mean they can get to more targets much easier.

Yeah, I wouldn't take SG, but still a 90k player compared to 70k for a lino. I just think that the extra mobility can be put to better use than fouling! :huh:

1 hour ago, danton said:

Yeah, I wouldn't take SG, but still a 90k player compared to 70k for a lino. I just think that the extra mobility can be put to better use than fouling! :huh:

You appear to claim that scoring > fouling!?

ST2 is a liability. You still want at least one, maybe two, because a glorified goblin is still more mobile than a lineman. Your choice of skills is basically between a generic purpose scorer/annoyance (Block/Sidestep/DivingTackle) and safety (Wrestle/Dauntless/Strip/Tackle).

I don't believe in building for a Human one-turner as long as everyone involved is AG3. You have an option with the AG4, because Block/Sidestep/SureFeet is useful at any time (just don't score unnecessarily much with him)... And it's not like you want him to lie on the ground with Wrestle, which now becomes the other Catcher's job. 

The AG 4 one (assuming survival of course) will most likely take SS next and then after that it depends on the state of the team. He could take Sure Feet and Sprint later on, but could also roll a double for Guard, or something else. I won't take DT on him, because AG 4 is too valuable for Humans to be marking pieces with him. If I buy a third catcher at some point I will probably make that a man marker with DT.

The MA 9 one will most likely go the Wrestle, Dauntless route. Basically makes him into a slightly worse gutter runner that can threaten the ball from a distance.

• 2 months later...

image0.jpg

Human team is evolving nicely. Both catchers have been hogging the spp, but in a good way! :D

Question is: would you now buy a third catcher in order to build a defensive one with Wrestle, Dauntless, etc?

The other option I quite like is buying a second thrower in order develop as a Kicker, or just buying another lino as a meat bag... :wacko:

Yeah, I like the idea of making a fast team faster, but more Str 2 is a pain... I also like the idea of a second thrower as a Kicker though. The thrower is basically a lino with 2 extra skills for 20k and seems like the best player to put Kick on. I am probably leaning more that way to be honest.

• 5 months later...

Bumping (and hijacking!) this thread, but what’s peoples view on the potential for human development in a bb3 league?

If nothing else, having disposable 30k foulmesiters on the pitch could be fun :) Or disposable cage bursters!

the potential redrafting cap could be be kinder to ability teams too...

Edited by Nateguy75