Hades

Rymdkejsaren

This is finally out of Early Access and I can heartily recommend it for anyone who likes action roguelites. It's a very solid game with a satisfying gameplay loop, made interesting by constant additions and a slow upwards spiral of power (and increasing skill and knowledge as a player). Visually satisfying and consistent, and lots of gods to talk to. Also you can pet Cerberus.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

ss_c0fed447426b69981cf1721756acf75369801

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I played it to death. lol

Yeah it's definitely my game of the year. After I finished it I just didn't want to play much of anything else for a while. Currently waiting on the ultimate version of Disco Elysium to fill the void of awesome games.

Do you have ninja reflexes or was your success more down to sustained practice?

I used to think the first boss was impossible but now win fairly often.

That's mostly what it comes down to: you keep playing and learning and the stuff that seemed impossible becomes possible. You also get more darkness for the mirror, new weapons, and new god powers (and some other stuff) as you go along (many of the duo powers are insane). I thought the game was impossible to beat, but by the end I had done everything, including some stuff that's not even listed for achievements, like beating the final boss with "Extreme Measures" in hell mode (you'll know what I'm about later on). I used to be pretty hot at twitch-gaming but honestly, I think it came more down to persistence. I have nearly 240 hours in the game. Enjoyed every one of them.

I just used whichever one had the darkness bonus. They can all be immensely powerful and good fun. The spear was the one I struggled with a bit at first, but there are some upgrades to it that make it insanely fun to use. I liked giving it the bouncing effect on throw, then adding lighting damage to special, particularly if you can get some upgrades on the lightning damage and/or extra bounces or speed. You just threw it and watched people explode around you. lol 

Then of course, there are three extra aspects for each that change how they play a lot.

• 3 weeks later...