Battle Brothers

Hudd

No one has mentioned Battle Brothers?

Its a mercenary band sim. Wander about, hire some men, choose your jobs, die horribly...  Graphics limited. Game-play in-depth to say the least. 

Check it out - it is the most amazing game in existence.  The base game is only good, you will need the DLC too, so it may be expensive, but... I've currently played 1,510 hours according to steam :D

22 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

I know some people here have played it a lot. I tried it but for some reason it didn't grab me. Looks like just the type of game I could get lost in for a long time.

Same for me.  It looks like the sort of game I'd really get into but for some reason it just didn't grab me.

I've tried getting into it a few times and have about 200 hours in it.

It's about the end of early game I lose interest for some reason.

Awards

Played it for 800 hours since 2016, remember version with rivers and black interface. :P Great game, simple rules but hard tactics. More and more content with every DLC. However, it looks like I slightly overplayed it (no desire to dive into it again right now). No doubt though, once I'll return to it.

On 10/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, jrpeart said:

Same for me.  It looks like the sort of game I'd really get into but for some reason it just didn't grab me.

I've tried getting into it a few times and have about 200 hours in it.

It's about the end of early game I lose interest for some reason.

200 hours play is your moneys worth I would say. Having all the DLC stops it going a bit samey.

I've heard a few people say its only the early game that is exciting. It can be bit boring if your team gets a bit good, but I still kind of enjoy utterly smashing enemies in an unfair fight - and the special set piece locations are a challenge for any band...

Early game is where and when most mercenery companies die, so it makes up more than half of playtime across all games. Late game ain't too bad either, but if you survive a crisis or two, it starts to get stale. I consider late game (which is by no means a cakewalk) a reward for making it past the early game.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I played this the other day and there is a new DLC included.  I forget the names and I'm too damn lazy to look it up but there are some fanatical knights, you start with two and they gain renown by upholding oaths to the skull they carry around. It will give you a small advantage and then some disadvantage like no healing or moving in the first round or no ranged weapons for 10 days.

The other group is 3 researchers that learn how to make stat boosting potions when they kill a new type of enemy.