Hollow Knight

Barristan

Anybody played this one? I'm about 18 hours in, nowhere near completing the main quest line as far as I can tell, and it's so good the sequel is already on my wishlist. Not bad for a game that's cheap as fuck. Stylistically, it reminds me of Darkest Dungeon, only cuter; the resemblance is also true in that the game does not hold your hand and is pretty hard. Playstyle wise, it's a metroidvania but scratches my Zelda itch.

Strongly recommended.

I've got this on my to be played list! Allready have downloaded it as it were free on PS+, but havent had time to play it yet. 

Edit: Started playing it as i had few moments before i had to leave for work. I played it 30minutes or so and were suprised how i enjoyed it. Sidescrolling platformer didn't sound something i would enjoy (as my super mario playing days are over), but i guess it was the athmosphere or something that got me sucked in. For reference i tried that "Cuphead" game when it was the thing and didn't like such "simplistic" controls etc.

Gotta play it bit more, but attleast this seems promising.

Few hours played (2-3 hours or so) and im getting more and more hooked. 2 bosses beaten, new skills learned. Game is much More complex than i thought on first glance.

Also i managed to read what things do, so things started getting easier when i bought that thing so my map gets updated. Now i'll just need to figure out where i must go next..

Ah! I'm 24 hours in and I have been actively avoiding the main quest to explore everything. The game is huge and there are always areas to revisit once you've unlocked new skills. Some bosses are pretty hard if you fight them too early... I think my worst encounter so far took me about 25 tries to defeat. Once you've learnt the patterns, it gets easier but some of them are so goddamn fast :D

The map is a bit of a gripe for me; I literally cannot play without the charm that tells me where I am and having to spend a precious notch for this is mildly irritating. But it's minor really.

23 hours and i got myself into 68%. Last boss was bit too easyish (or i was extremely lucky)

Glad there were savepoint just before it so i can gribd other stuff. Im still missing attleast one skill upgradge and other stuff :

Also as i finished i unlocked new mode where there is no shade and death is permament.

Wow finished already? That's some commitment :D I'm 32 hours in and not finished yet. I killed two of the Dreamers and currently exploring the Queen's Gardens. Encountered the Traitor Lord last night and gave up beating him, his patterns are easy but he was too fast for my level of tiredness, so it'll be for next time. Loving every bit of it so far. 

I loaded my save and realized how much i've missed. Queens gardeb had few places i didn't visit and deepholm was half unexplored as i accidentally stumbled stag station there and never returned.

I've found alot new secrets and secrets inside secrets. At the moment im banging my head in Grey mourner quest as im too clumsy to make one final jump. If ya dont know what it is, it's quest where you must go from place a to b without taking single damage. And i loterally have failed the last jump 5 times

Ah, I know the feeling. Last night I spent half an hour on a platforming nightmare in Deepnest, expecting a massive reward, and only got a soul fragment for it! I got the Collector's Map, which made me realize I missed a lot of grubs... Going to kill the last Dreamer tonight, but still need to do the second trial and kill the Failed Champion (pure nightmare that one) and the dream version of the Soul Master (not tried yet). Plenty still to do!

On 4/5/2021 at 4:45 AM, Barristan said:

Black Temple opened and I killed the Soul Tyrant, awakening the Dream Nail. Which means I found the White Palace. Failed Champion is still my bane however, can barely reach the second phase :D

I managed to stumble there also and jesus be damned it was annoying. Death, death, death, death, death. Fuck me.

I swapped few charms (which sounds simple solution, but im stupid) and after hard grinding i managed to clear it!

(Hiveblood+Grubsong amazing combo on platforming)

Also killed Traitor Lord (i think) which was pain in my ass before.

I still have third phase of arena remaining and probably Failed Champion (which i need to locate first)

I just finally beat The Radiant for the true ending last weekend.  Took me at least 80 tries to beat The Radiant, and for awhile having to beat The Hollow Knight every time before even getting to fight Radiant was kicking my butt!  I have not done the Trial of Fools or The Nightmare Grimm (I chose to banish the Grimm troupe).

I had a ton of fun playing that game, definitely left we wanting more!  I think I was at 106% when I did the final boss fight.  I havne't gone back and done much in the Hall of Gods either. 

The White Palace was a ton of tun!

Spoiler

The failed champion is hidden near the False Knight, likely one of your first boss fights!

Guess you've both seen the trailer for Silksong?

Glad to know I'm not the only one who found the White Palace above my modest skills. Took me a long time to reach the third bench and tonight I gave up progressing further without the Hiveblood since I don't have it yet. Left to do that, will come back later.

Since there are several endings, I wonder if I should attempt the final boss before doing the Palace again, so I get to see two different ones.

Btw the record for speedrunning the game is 33 minutes :D

13 hours ago, Barristan said:

Guess you've both seen the trailer for Silksong?

Glad to know I'm not the only one who found the White Palace above my modest skills. Took me a long time to reach the third bench and tonight I gave up progressing further without the Hiveblood since I don't have it yet. Left to do that, will come back later.

Since there are several endings, I wonder if I should attempt the final boss before doing the Palace again, so I get to see two different ones.

Btw the record for speedrunning the game is 33 minutes :D

I definitely had hiveblood to do the white palace.  I can't imagine doing it without it, and I didn't even consider the path of pain. (Though I didn't even know about it until after I got through the white palace!).

So many times I would miss a jump and accidentally fall to an area I had already cleared and have to do it again.  It was so painful until I finished it, then it was very rewarding.  I would still place my struggles with Radiance above the white palace though.  I don't think I'll even try the absolute variant.

So after getting the last Nail upgrade and beating the White Defender, I went for the boss to see the first ending. Ended up with 44 hours and 97% completion. The story is fantastically narrated, the final fight using the music to make you understand what is happening is phenomenal.

So next is back to the White Palace and killing the Failed Champion before attempting the boss again. Probably a few bits I have missed here and there too. Oh and finishing the Grimm Troupe quest.

I'll have to replay the whole thing at some point, if only because I let Zote die - I didn't find him before beating Hornet :D

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm at 106% completion and got the first two endings. I'm taking a break because my hand cannot handle more after mashing the controller for so long :P

Left to do:

- Beating the Radiance (only attempted twice, gonna take a while I'd say)

- Trial of the Fool - I'm close to the end but it's tough

- Delicate Flower quest - not attempted

- Path of Pain - watched a video of it, not sure I even want to try

- Godhome - not super interested. The bosses are fun when within the story, fighting uber versions non-stop is not really appealing.

I'm gonna restart Darkest Dungeon, really need to finish it this time.

9 minutes ago, Barristan said:

Yay! Do share the pains and joys! I was not convinced by my first session (starting with a keyboard was also a bad idea) but it didn't take long after that to really get hooked.

I’m a bit over one hour in. First boss down and I’ve purchased the compass.

I’ve learned a magic attack spell but now I’m trapped until I kill a certain beastie.

Liking it a lot so far, I picked it up on Switch for handheld play as that’s how I do most of my gaming these days.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Barristan said:

So @Doomy77, how's Hallownest treating you?

Apart from killing me a lot I’d say it’s OK. I’m on a temporary hiatus because I decided to play through the original Shining Force but I’ll be back on it soon.