New Orks please help

Kristofer_B

Well, that was utterly disheartening getting crushed by TheCowDaddy’s skaven in my first ever league game. Being the only fresh team in 4C seems like it is going to be very difficult for my orcs.

Any tips on playing new orcs vs all these experienced teams? Feels like why even try when my poor players are utterly outclassed…

Fresh orks against skaven with a few skills is a tough matchup, and undeveloped orks are going to have a general tough time in T4, so I suggest you work on developing your players and just trying to see it as a learning experience. You'll be facing a fair few experienced coaches here, so if you're new then you will probably having an uphill battle for that reason as well. Try not to get disheartened, but look over your matches afterwards and see if you can figure out where you might have done better. There's also coaching available via the OCC. Sometimes it's good with a second set of eyes.

This league IS difficult. And if your only interest in Blood Bowl is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women you’re not gonna last.

In internet terms the OCC is dinosaur old and has seen thousands of participants come and go. The most common reasons for leaving involve losing matches.

I’ve been here 13 years and my win rate is comically low. So why stay?

Community! I have established real and lasting friendships with people here which have seen me travel around Europe and form connections with others even further afield.

If I just wanted to play an online BB match with a total stranger I could do that right now, but that totally defeats the point of being in a league where you can develop rivalries, collaborate on projects such as being part of an admin team, and so many other things.

So don’t lose heart just because you couldn’t win a match if your life depended on it, that’s just a small part of what OCC has to offer.

Awards

Posted (edited)

@Doomy77

I don’tmind losing. I am also sure I have to improve as I am just getting back into Blood Bowl since playing back in 3rd edition. The main reason for feeling dishearteend is probably coming from being the only fresh team and knowing that even developing my players will be difficult as I will constantly be playing vs. better players as well as better coaches and basically having to rely on inducememts to have even a fighting chance in the games.

I’m sure the feeling will go away if I get a game or two where I actually manage to do something and not just playing catch-up.

Edited by Kristofer_B

5 minutes ago, Kristofer_B said:

@Doomy77

I don’tmind losing. I am also sure I have to improve as I am just getting back into Blood Bowl since playing back in 3rd edition. The main reason for feeling dishearteend is probably coming from being the only fresh team and knowing that even developing my players will be difficult as I will constantly be playing vs. better players as well as better coaches and basically having to rely on inducememts to have even a fighting chance in the games.

I’m sure the feeling will go away if I get a game or two where I actually manage to do something and not just playing catch-up.

Did you actually read my post?

Awards

Posted (edited)

@Doomy77

yea, I read it. What makes you think I didn’t? You wrote that it isn’t about winning, and I answered thats fine, I wasn’t expecting to win much being new. What I wasn’t expecting was being placed as the only new team. The feeling of hopelessness coming from both being an inexperienced coach and having to play with inexperienced players vs. more experienced coaches with experienced teams.

It’s probably my own fault for not being prepared for that experience (thinking I’d be placed in the lowest tier being new and all). 

Edited by Kristofer_B

What the old timer says. I stopped playing years ago and I'm still lurking around these parts. Start by making friends and learning from your opponents. Someone clever (not Sun-Tzu) said you learn more from losing than from winning ;) Playing in a friendly setting helps stomach the inevitable losses. Incidentally I was mostly playing Orcs and I would argue they are not an easy team to play, especially early on. But you can learn some tricks and do well with them. The feeling of getting better with your green idiots is a nice one. And I do hear you, it might feel unfair but you can still have a good time. It will not feel different when you have a high level team and you end up with 3 Chaos and 2 Nurgle to play :D 

As for @Kristofer_B, orcs are a race built around fundamentals and positioning. And Guard. Don’t be seduced by Mighty Blow unless you have Guard.

Visit the toilet? That shit you just dropped better have Guard.

Guard, Guard, Guard. 

Awards

6 hours ago, Doomy77 said:

As for @Kristofer_B, orcs are a race built around fundamentals and positioning. And Guard. Don’t be seduced by Mighty Blow unless you have Guard.

Visit the toilet? That shit you just dropped better have Guard.

Guard, Guard, Guard. 

OK, so do we aim for block then guard or is guard taken as the first skill? 

You have 4 blitzers and they will probably be the 1st 4 to level unless you get lucky with an MVP on a BoB.

I would put guard on the 1st 2 then go for tackle or MB on the 3rd.

Black orcs can go either block or guard 1st.

If there is a lot of ST4 in your division I would take guard. If more hybrid and elf teams then block is better.

Block on the first two BoBs to level-up for me. It makes them so much more reliable. The next 2 can go either way depending on the state of the team. Some would advocate the last one to get lvl 2 should take MB, it has never worked for me. You can also ignore any stats increase on them apart from ST of course. If they live old, +MA can become interesting but Block/Guard/MB/SF is their bread and butter.

Posted (edited)

OK, 

second game done. Black Orc and a Blitzer died. I am down to 8 players (7 next game as I also have a MNG).

I really don't see a point to keep playing with this team as it will just dig itself deeper and deeper as my opponents  have much better teams and are more experienced than me.

I don't want to sound like a sore looser as I don't mind the losing part. It's the utter futility of knowing the team is utterly outclassed that makes the games just a waste of time.

Edited by Kristofer_B

Hey, there was a time my Nurgle team - yes, Nurgle, with cheap rotters and all that fancy regeneration going on - could only field eight players. You are correct in that the team will never improve if you give up, but if you stick at it you’ll feel you’ve earned every upgrade. Admittedly this process can take years.

Awards

Posted (edited)

Worst part is that I will not enjoy the game. It will just be a chore now. I just think being entered into 4C with a new team as a new coach is so demoralizing. Talk about pulling the rug out from underneath my feet, here play nine games with no chance what so ever. No chance I'll enjoy OCC Blood Bowl now...

Edited by Kristofer_B

Remember that there is allways an chance! When i joined OCC they needed few fresh teams to T5 (T6 was thing then) and as i was promised teams with one season played i decided to take the challenge with fresh kislev.

TV difference was around 800 on first game, so can't say i was thrilled. But playing as underdog has it's advantages as if you manage to win it's way more satisfying.

All i can say is try to have fun, take part in side competitions and take it as opportunity to learn!

Posted (edited)

@Ratamothanks for your words of encouragement but I was expecting to play with other fresh teams to have a chance at actually learn to be better at the game. With the way my team is now (7 players in the next game and no money to replace any of my lost positionals, and not a single player leveling up) there is no way I even stand the remotest chance nor will I be able to learn much as I will be sorely outclassed both by the coach and by the opposing team.

Edited by Kristofer_B

@Kristofer_B, you are going to have the rare opportunity to field the likes of Morg or Varag, or even double up and bring 2 Star Players, pretty much every game. That probably won't make you win every game but you get to experience a part of BB that you don't see that often in league play, and hopefully take some heat away from your remaining positionals. Use them and Journeymen (read: cannon fodder) wisely and only buy Linemen if a Journeyman gets MVP. With a little luck by the end of the season you'll have a reasonable starting point for the next one, and if not, you've gotten to play with a whole bunch of cool star players and you can always roll a new team.

1 hour ago, Torquemad4 said:

@Kristofer_B, you are going to have the rare opportunity to field the likes of Morg or Varag, or even double up and bring 2 Star Players, pretty much every game. That probably won't make you win every game but you get to experience a part of BB that you don't see that often in league play, and hopefully take some heat away from your remaining positionals. Use them and Journeymen (read: cannon fodder) wisely and only buy Linemen if a Journeyman gets MVP. With a little luck by the end of the season you'll have a reasonable starting point for the next one, and if not, you've gotten to play with a whole bunch of cool star players and you can always roll a new team.

Yeah, the Star Players is a nice thing to get to try. Unfortunately Varag got injured vs. @JJape's  Chaos Dwarves... 

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I once had to play a 3rd round match with 7 loners. I lost that match, was 0-1-2 just like you are now, and then went on to win the division. It's blood bowl. Shit like that can happen, but not if you give up after a couple of bad matches.

All the good underdog/comeback stories require persevering despite the odds. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:00 AM, Torquemad4 said:

With a little luck by the end of the season you'll have a reasonable starting point for the next one, and if not, you've gotten to play with a whole bunch of cool star players and you can always roll a new team.

This is spot on. In the lower divisions, wins aren't as important as team development and enjoing the journey. 

Posted (edited)

Loners means more dedicated foulers, men you can put on Los and don't care I'd they're hurt... and more star players.

I've played whole seasons under 11 men and won a few of those. It's the future.

Edited by bjj hero

Awards