Total War - Warhammer

crimsonsun

While I don't play any PvP, I have watched a lot, because I simply love the aesthetics of this game. I've also played my fair share of PvE campaign.

And one thing I have to say is that it makes a world of difference to know your counter picks, and your mechanics. Armor piercing, missile resistance, magic resistance, charge bonus, anti-large, regeneration, poison damage, magic attack, "good vs. single combatants" (in spells) are all very important key words. Additionally, one of the invisible attributes is very important, namely "mass", which determines how easily fast units can be stopped from disengaging, or from charging through another unit.

I'm currently playing a campaign as beastmen which is so fun.  I did not realise I would enjoy them as much as I do, I think it's having all the stompy things :) also the horde mechanic is better than chaos as you don't have to keep the armies separated and you can also sack and raze on the same turn.

seems I may like lizardmen armies too for stompy stuff :)  

Edited by jbecks

Awards

I'm finding the Bretonnian campaign a bit "meh". I don't like their building mechanics much. The army itself is fun to fight with, but Bretonnia don't seem to be about fighting. Emphasis is on turtling up, making friends with everyone you can and gradually confederating with the other Bretonnian factions.

For me the Empire has been the most fun race to play so far (note that i don't have any of the expansions).

22 hours ago, Jimmy C said:

I'm finding the Bretonnian campaign a bit "meh". I don't like their building mechanics much. The army itself is fun to fight with, but Bretonnia don't seem to be about fighting. Emphasis is on turtling up, making friends with everyone you can and gradually confederating with the other Bretonnian factions.

For me the Empire has been the most fun race to play so far (note that i don't have any of the expansions).

I don't like the Bretonnian army either, something about their style deos not work with me, beastmen and greenskins are my favourite.  Beastmen was the best campaign by far though.

I've not tried an empire campaign yet, not sure what settings you use but I play campaign on hard with normal battle difficulty.

Awards

I usually play on hard difficulty setting and occasionally dabble with very hard - only to be crushed once Chaos arrives. I didn't realise that you can also adjust the battle difficulty setting – I might try lowering it a bit once Chaos comes, although I’m not sure what its default is (same as campaign difficulty??).

I got bored of my Bretonnia campaign and fired up a new Empire campaign on very hard last night. It took soooo long to crush the rebel faction and I only did that because Marienburg attacked and took the city closest to them (the downside being that I can’t control the whole province unless I attack Marienburg). Super annoyingly, the Orcs came down raiding and double-teamed me with the rebels. First the Orcs walked through Marienburg and rebel territory unmolested, before attacking me in which I beat them, but suffered a fair number of casualties. The same turn the rebels then attacked and defeated my weakened army. And of course the Orcs leave all other factions alone apart from me – its almost like the rebels bribed them or something. Very annoying!

On the plus side I control the province of Nuln after confederating with Wisenland. War machines here I come!

On 5/20/2017 at 8:57 AM, jbecks said:

I don't like the Bretonnian army either, something about their style deos not work with me, beastmen and greenskins are my favourite.  Beastmen was the best campaign by far though.

I've not tried an empire campaign yet, not sure what settings you use but I play campaign on hard with normal battle difficulty.

Thanks again for the tip Jbecks. I have adjusted it so that i am playing on very hard, but with normal battle difficulty and it is much more enjoyable - i'm even feeling confident that i may survive the upcoming Chaos invasion!

It will be interesting to see how this game mechanic is implemented. I would imagine that forces with highly mobile troops and/or massed range would do better against High Elves, as you would be able to focus on depleting each unit one-by-one (although that can probably be said for all races).

As for 3 types of dragons, i would suspect that their cost would be so prohibitive as to result in you only being able to field 1 or perhaps max 2 in a battle (unless you are going a cheesy air based army like Bretonnian used to be).

As far as I remember the Warhammer times when I played table top, it was exactly like Jimmy said. But you could make a highly moveable army out of Ellyrian Reavers, chariots and some Great Eagles + 1 Dragon and Phoenixes. Would be a nice air themed army.

Edited by Anubis2406

Steam page updated, so you can prepurchase.

There is a pretty cool gif of a Golden dragon lifting up Gorak+Grimlock and slamming them to the ground! :huh:

Also there should be a CA section on the E3 PC Game Show at 20:00 CEST

Edited by stygger

For some reason Creative Assembly did not show anything new when they were on the the PC Gaming Show @E3, however, they did reveal both Mazdamundi's Talent tree and ingame action in an YouTube@E3 interview afterwards. Be warned that the interviewer seems clueless about strategy games or PC gaming in general...