Starting Team.

Grimnirs Ghost

I think i started without catchers and 3 rr, its the most cost efficent way and you spread your spp more. Starting with catchers makes them hog the spp. To be succesfull you need to spread skills around, skilling catchers is a walk in the park and can be done later on.

I believe I started with 2 catchers, 2 re-rolls and had 3 players killed before I could buy an apoth (including a thrower). Didn't stop me from going 39 games without a loss :P

I'm a firm believer in spreading SPP across all players, so even with catchers I'd try to score with linemen (well, after said catchers actually got dodge, that is) anyway.

Sure, sometimes scoring with a catcher is going to be the best option anyway, but given a choice I'd score with someone else.

My key to progress is: Never pick up the ball with the thrower, have someone pass him the ball instead (and by never I mean whenever it's sensible, so not when skaven got a blitz against you etc).

That's one spp for a player on every kick-off (don't use a re-roll, not worth it, so if it's dangerous (skaven/wood elves) don't pass if the kick is short, just protect whoever has the ball) and you'll see a lot of kick-offs with high elves, they're elves after all.

Build the team for defense, scoring comes naturally anyway with ag4 and good movement.

I have selected:

1 Thrower

2 Blitzers

8 Linemen

2 Re-rolls

1 Apothecary

On consideration, the cost of the re-roll is outweighed by the need for the Apothecary. My team has Orks and then Necromantic teams first followed by a developed Dwarf team. The concern of losing a important player early on seems to recommend the Apothecary.

I'm dismayed to find several of the teams in my division are over 1300 TV.

I have selected:

1 Thrower

2 Blitzers

8 Linemen

2 Re-rolls

1 Apothecary

On consideration, the cost of the re-roll is outweighed by the need for the Apothecary. My team has Orks and then Necromantic teams first followed by a developed Dwarf team. The concern of losing a important player early on seems to recommend the Apothecary.

I'm dismayed to find several of the teams in my division are over 1300 TV.

There's no (sensible) way to sort 23+17 (or what the actual numbers were, they certainly wasn't 20-20) teams into two tiers (which also has it's issues).

You'll find that in a scheduled league the TV differences will be (much) larger than in TV based MM.

I had a similar start as you are going to have (when I played High Elves), just get the most out of your inducements (Wizard!) and you'll be fine.

Yeah, any kind of Elves (and Skaven) are generally pretty good at benefiting from a Wizard. And with 300k inducements, you can take Wizard + Apo + Babe, which helps you keep the numbers even. I don't think you should have too many problems in that scenario. And always remember: Your opponent is scared of the Wizard, use that to your advantage :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not certain who told you that? It's impossible to tell before the seeding has been done. 

If you were looking for rookie teams and coaches new to OCC it was SSC you should have been looking for, but that starts later and has fewer games in a season and for the following season you'd end up in the same place (more or less) as teams from the bottom tier in OCC.

Hang in there GG, game isn't easy to learn and even harder to master, but if you want to learn then this is the place. Ask the opponents if they can give you tips to improve your game and see this season as learning.

You can also check replay's, its a good way to learn odd moves.

Hang in there GG, game isn't easy to learn and even harder to master, but if you want to learn then this is the place. Ask the opponents if they can give you tips to improve your game and see this season as learning.

You can also check replay's, its a good way to learn odd moves.

Too late. He quit...

Not certain who told you that? It's impossible to tell before the seeding has been done. 

If you were looking for rookie teams and coaches new to OCC it was SSC you should have been looking for, but that starts later and has fewer games in a season and for the following season you'd end up in the same place (more or less) as teams from the bottom tier in OCC.

Yes perhaps this was said and I did not understand fully. SCC would have been better for me.

• 3 years later...