Borke

18 hours ago, El Maldito said:

Mongloom only knows how to make boxes :P, you move quickly and try that the mummies, once on the ground, do not get up.

I hope to see that match.

Good luck Borke !!!!

It was not Borke's day... just an absolute disaster for the underworld:

MON   BORKE   
TD       1     0    
BLK     26     24   
AVBr    24     8    
KO       8     3    
CAS      5     1    
SURF     1     0 

It is true that the numbers 24 broken AV from 26 blocks takes the fouls in account (I think) but it was awesome anyway, the only bad roll I remember for my guys was a triple skull rerolled in 3 Pow/exclamation result. Anyway he managed to get my ball carrier down and recovered the ball inside TD range, but then... luck turned again to its original side... Dead stars and others!

All my luck in only one game this season... my apologies Mr. Borke!

21 minutes ago, Mongloom said:

At least... no permanent damage and Prof. Pesticide leveled up!!!

Indeed! He did sweet nothing all match, but got the MVP. Figures... :P

It's a normal roll, so I'm thinking one of two things: Juggernaut or Piling On. Juggernaut is the safe option, because it allows him to push on a "both down" (in order to avoid contact, good for hit and run) and also against Stand Firm opponents (I will be facing lots of those next match), while Piling On greatly increases his removal chances (at least on paper). If I was feeling better about the team at the moment, it would be a clear pick of Piling On, but the last few matches have been so disappointing...

I did not keep track of how many fouls you made, but my best guess would be about 8 to 10? That's still a higher than expected amount of armor breaks on your blocks, then, while my armor breaks were way below expectation.

But in the end, even though I felt absolutely let down by the dice once again, I am counting myself happy that in this massacre I didn't lose a single player. I was almost depitched - twice.

19 minutes ago, Borke said:

I did not keep track of how many fouls you made, but my best guess would be about 8 to 10? That's still a higher than expected amount of armor breaks on your blocks, then, while my armor breaks were way below expectation.

9 Fouls, 3KO, 1Dead, 2 red cards... taking account on my removal accuracy, it was harsh to reach this number! It was not usual to see your players down on the field.

You did only one foul and you got your red card... damn ref!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on how Season 8 has been going for the Avengers so far:

- MD 1: Our star killer, Professor Pesticide, suffered a -AV. We won the match 2-1, though, against Mongloom's Khemri.

- MD 2: We lost our cage buster (Two Heads/Wrestle/Horns Gobbo), dead. Tied the match 1-1 against Kia Sidhe's Dark Elves.

- MD 3: We lost Tiny the Troll, dead. Lost the match 0-1 against Zunk's killer Chaos.

So, high attrition, mediocre results. And the season is not going to get easier, we have two more Chaos, two Orc, one Nurgle, and one Amazon match to go through.

The last few matches have been terrible, with high attrition from the very start of the match, while not being able to remove any significant players from the opponent's team. Sometimes we were able to make something of these uphill battles, but I really wish Nuffle would give me a break one of these days.

3 minutes ago, Borke said:

Just a quick update on how Season 8 has been going for the Avengers so far:

- MD 1: Our star killer, Professor Pesticide, suffered a -AV. We won the match 2-1, though, against Mongloom's Khemri.

- MD 2: We lost our cage buster (Two Heads/Wrestle/Horns Gobbo), dead. Tied the match 1-1 against Kia Sidhe's Dark Elves.

- MD 3: We lost Tiny the Troll, dead. Lost the match 0-1 against Zunk's killer Chaos.

So, high attrition, mediocre results. And the season is not going to get easier, we have two more Chaos, two Orc, one Nurgle, and one Amazon match to go through.

The last few matches have been terrible, with high attrition from the very start of the match, while not being able to remove any significant players from the opponent's team. Sometimes we were able to make something of these uphill battles, but I really wish Nuffle would give me a break one of these days.

Nuffle did me a solid last MD, perhaps he has finally turned his eye on the greens now that @Rymdkejsaren isnt of of them anymore? :)

• 4 weeks later...

New news = old news: Our season continues to be a series of disappointments.

Current record: 1-2-3

The attrition continues, so far this season we have:

S8MD1: Professor Pesticide suffers -AV (killer)
S8MD2: Hench-Gobbo #1 died (lvl 4 sacker Gobbo)
S8MD3: Tiny died (lvl4 Troll)
S8MD4: Claw Finger died (lvl5 Thrower)

We're down about 200 TV from where we were, once I've replaced the last positional (it's been hard to keep up with buying new rookies, due to the high attrition combined with poor results/winnings).

Last match against @TomasT was once again rather frustrating. I didn't look at the dice averages, but my impression is that the d6 as well as the block rolls were actually rather even, and the armor rolls might even have been in my favour. It's the fact that I get screwed on many of the important rolls that gets to me. Highlights from last night:

- I make 1 out of 7 KO rolls; the one player that wakes up is the least important, the failed KO rolls mean that 530k TV (out of my app. 1600k) is missing the second half.

- Wizard fizzles (lightning bolt); could have given me a 75% chance at sacking the ball carrier.

- Another 54% chance of sacking the ball carrier fails (TomasT had positioned very aggressively, this would have been a perfect opportunity to punish that).

- Oh and on top of my key players staying out KO, the second half opens with a Blitz! against me.

The only silver lining is that this time I didn't lose any players (though it wasn't for lack of trying on TomasT's part, he almost killed my lvl 4 Linerat with a foul). But I really feel like I need to take it slowly and rebuild the team, if possible. I need better Throwers, and more Two Heads on the Gobbos, among other things. Oh, and a Block Troll would be nice, after playing Underworld for about 20 seasons I feel like I've earned one...

I always feel like Underworld, Skaven and teams in a similar style (not super high Agility, but not super tough) always fizzle out once they lose too many important players.

Do you think proper recovery is still possible or are the Warpstone Avengers essentially doomed if one or two more key players bite the dust?

Rebuilding an Underworld team in a high attrition environment (i.e. against highly developed teams that have many MB/PO/Tackle players, and to a certain extent also Claw) is almost impossible, I feel. The Judge Mentals have been rebuilt several times, that's true, but in their current form they are still a shadow of their former self, it's just extremely difficult to get multiple rats to decent development at the same time. And The Judges also have one big factor playing in their favour: An unlimited bank. They are currently sitting on 1.6 million gold, I think, so it'll be a long time before I can't replace the losses with rookies at will.

The Warpstone Avengers on the other hand are starting to feel the BB2 bank rules affect them. I have burned gold in previous seasons, gold that I could really use right now to replace players. On the other hand, BB2 offers a much more useful selection selection of star players, and I can drop down a few tiers into more friendly waters, so it's not all bad.

So, after a lot of bad matches recently, we finally go handed a freebie by Nuffle, who saw it fit to punish @zZKing's Amazons harshly. zZKing played very well, I thought, and utilized his AG Linewoman to great effect. He also showed that Zons can run a pretty effective 2 turn offense, if they have that sort of player (his plan was to pressure me on his defense, which almost succeeded).

However, the block dice tell the story of the match. The Zons threw a total of 63 block dice. 31 of those were pushes (expected: 21), 20 were skull or both down (expected: 21), 12 were pow or defender stumbles (expected: 21). With all those pushes, the bashing game of the Zons was much less effective than it could have been. Additionally, a crucial triple 1 on a pass play on turn 15 meant that the late equalizer became all but impossible.

The match was never completely "over", though, basically all thanks to that amazing AG5 Linewoman, even though we got a considerable numbers advantage through blocking and fouling (two fouls for two removals, one of which resulted in the death of a 70 SPP Catcher, RIP). I increased the chance of a comeback for the Zons by trying to feed SPP to my +MA Gobbo - he dropped the ball at the first attempt, which allowed the Zons to close the distance, which in turn forced me to score early in the second half.

The fortunate outcome of the match, other than 3 points towards not getting relegated, is that both my Dodge Thrower and my +MA Gobbo got a level. The Dodge Thrower took Block on a normal. The +MA Gobbo rolled ... +MA (i.e. 6+4). I am still torn. While MA8 is amazing, not having Two Heads is a serious problem for any Gobbo. If anyone has any insight on this they'd like to share, please do!

39 minutes ago, Borke said:

The +MA Gobbo rolled ... +MA (i.e. 6+4). I am still torn. While MA8 is amazing, not having Two Heads is a serious problem for any Gobbo. If anyone has any insight on this they'd like to share, please do!

Get an MA8 Gobbo. I dare you.

I'm with you Broke.  He needs Two Heads ASAP.  For something like Flings or Goblins, you would definitely take both +MV increases, as that guy is your Ball Carrier.  This guy likely isn't.  Two Heads makes him MUCH more mobile than +1 MV.  You know this.  I know this. These Stunty fakers do not!  Maybe Pidpad, but his mind is clearly clouded by the Knights who say Ni, or something!  =)

12 hours ago, Larkstar said:

I'm with you Broke.  He needs Two Heads ASAP.  For something like Flings or Goblins, you would definitely take both +MV increases, as that guy is your Ball Carrier.  This guy likely isn't.  Two Heads makes him MUCH more mobile than +1 MV.  You know this.  I know this. These Stunty fakers do not!  Maybe Pidpad, but his mind is clearly clouded by the Knights who say Ni, or something!  =)

Maybe Pidpad's mind isn't quite as clouded yet, he made a very interesting argument on Discord: a Gobbo with MA8 will make a regular OTT much easier. I'll do some calculations later, but I think that's a great improvement over the less than 10% chance of a TTM OTT.

Alright, I went with +MA on Hench-Gobbo #15. I'm going to try to feed him TDs and turn him into the best Gobbo ever! Next level up: +AG.

And just in case he doesn't roll +AG, he can take Two Heads, followed by any of Extra Arm/Sure Feet/Sprint, and become an amazing scorer. Oh and of course, somewhere along the line he's going to die.

Back to the business of finishing the season, we had our MD8 match against @Bill-BJJ's Rickson by Armbar, the legendary OCC franchise. The match opened with a contest of who could have the most useless block dice. Bill won the first half of this contest, certainly, but my opening turn was also completely useless (which, if you're receiving and hoping to get some early damage in perhaps, is not good). However, I have become very used to having completely shit dice, so I was fine, whereas Bill became rather frustrated during the first half. We scored on turn 7, and when a pitch invasion completely screwed his chances of the two turn equalizer, Bill almost lost it.

The second half was more what we expected. Avengers leaving the field in large numbers, making a few hero plays, almost stealing the ball, but then Bill managed to recover it and run in the turn 16 equalizer. We set up for a regular OTT, hoping to put our new MA8 Gobbo to good use, but the first block ate the reroll, and then we couldn't catch the pass.

I'm quite happy with the 1-1 tie, would have liked some more SPP for sure. At this rate, we're going to hang around division 2B for yet another season, which would be alright by me.