Total War - Warhammer

crimsonsun

• 7 months later...

I enjoy it and played a bit of Empire and Greenskins  ... but dont have time ... must .. play .. Stellaris...

Haven't bought it (definitely will eventually) because Stellaris has all my non-Blood Bowl gaming time.

I was underwhelmed to start with, but it is really, really good.  Just about to win the Empire campaign having killed Chaos and almost all the northmen.  Only got a few territories to take from the Border Princes after that and with 8 full-size armies I'm fairly confident of winning.  I'll try an Orc campaign after that - they look fun.

Awards

Glad to hear it. I've seen vidyas of the battles and they looked awesome, but there was not much to see about the map/town management and for me these are just as important. Looking forward to try it in 8 months or so :P

How's the AI by the way? Do you win fights at 1 vs 4 Med2 style or has it improved?

Crim was telling me my lappy might handle it. I'm not convinced as although it has enough beef to cope well with Mordheim it gave up when I tried XCOM 2.

It's an Alienware gaming laptop purchased in 2012.

Don't judge your computer by XCOM 2. It was notoriously badly optimised at release. I ran XCOM fine but 2 was a slideshow so I had to refund it.

Don't judge your computer by XCOM 2. It was notoriously badly optimised at release. I ran XCOM fine but 2 was a slideshow so I had to refund it.

You think it might be worth trying again? It's doubtless had some patches and I've moved to Windoze 10 since 2 was released.

It's excellent though I knew it would be :p, as I said Doomy this games really optimised and runs better than Attilia or Rome 2 which aren't cutting edge. If you buy via steam you can always refund if it doesn't work or you can be really cheeky and buy via steam to test it, if it works refund it and buy from a cheaper location. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Playing through as Empire. Great troop variety. I have seen the negative reviews on the tactical depth but all the factions feel different and I would mostly disagree being a long time fan of the TW series. Anything lacking in gameplay like the lack of missile units in the vampire army will be patched (hopefully) and the races feel legit. Dwarves are mostly true to their word and make good allies/trade partners (don't trust men easily) whilst I have had one manling trade partner show up on Altdorfs door with a full stack demanding money and war with another faction. Luckily Karl Franz and another army where within striking distance (albeit just) so the Empire is now at war with Middenhiem. Stuck between the castles garrison and the two relieving armies, the Reiksguard knight swept around the rear of the enemy host (mostly swordsman) while the spears took the charge in guard. Karl Franz and his warrior priest slew Richter and we now march on Middenhiem's capital. I'm absolutely loving it.

Awards

VC are like Chaos if I remember right, in that they don't have missile troops (chaos dwarf cannon aside), and rely on magic to get their point across. Their magic is real good. especially when you form a unit behind one engaged in combat, then Danse Macabre slam it into the engaged unit. Zany antics will ensue. ;)