Mentor program: Sign up here

Ynwe

Hi! I'm hoping to get some a bit of help around playing after a debuting my Dark Elves (Darkhand's Destroyers) with a WDL of 1-1-7 in T6 and a WDL 1-2-6 in T5. Outside of the OCC, I've got around 100 games under my belt, primarily in the Catalyst leagues with a win rate under 30%. 

I feel like I'm doing an OK job most of the time with kickoff formations, setting up blocks, etc., but I know I'm definitely having a lot of problems making a win come together. I don't think I have much I can say about matchups that are troubling me, as I seem to lose most every game, and my wins are against Pro Elves and Ogres, with ties against Chaos Dwarves, Dwarves and Norse. I've also pulled off a single 1 Turn Touchdown, which really made my day. 

As far as I can tell, here are some things I need help with:

• Playing Offense: I'm having a hard time consistently scoring when I have the ball. So, setting up passes, doing the side switches that Dark Elves do, etc.
  • Not getting into big scrums: I keep getting into situations where I find myself ending turns with more players in base contact than is ideal when playing an Elf team. More than that, sometimes I get sucked into a big pile of violence where 10 or so players are all stuck together, and it costs me a bunch of injuries, KOs, etc. 

I probably need more help than just that, but I know I'm having a hard time seeing my problems. Most of my losses are 2-1, but I've had a few blowouts. 

As far as other input, I think my team comp is OK, but I'm interested in feedback. My most questionable choice is probably an assassin, and I wonder about firing my Line Elf with a niggling injury, Kick and Wrestle. 

Edited by Knife Ear
link

On 9/28/2020 at 2:51 PM, Ynwe said:

heyho @Barvey Hirdman, sorry was out of town so getting back to you a bit late. If I may ask, what race are you playing in the OCC? Feels like there are a lot of things you want to improve on, so I wonder if we could list some key points you want to improve at. As far as I understand, you want to improve at: 

- kick off formations

- planning your turn

-planning your half

Is that a fair summary? 

Yep, that’s a good summary. I’m playing Nurgle in OCC, I used to play them back in the day. (Not well though :D)

Hey, I've been playing BB for about 3 weeks. I've become kind of obsessive cause it's a great game, so I've devoured several articles and some youtube +twitch streamers. From turns 1 to 16, I feel like I understand the basics and just need to lose a lot so I can learn from my mistakes and apply principles I've read or seen. I mainly want a mentor to ask questions about how to handle the decisions you make between games. I'm hooked on necromantic for now because werewolves seem really good, but I'm sure I'll coach dwarves eventually because reasons. I expect to lose a lot, as right now I seem to be good enough to almost always beat the AI on hard, but bad enough to almost always lose to human opponents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!
I've first played BB2 late 2019, although I started playing more often since march 20 (because of reasons, you know). Since that time I've played some games, I think I should be close to a ~100, maybe not there yet though, not sure. Anyway, I've mostly played and "understand" (to the extent that experience gave me) bash teams, but I seem to be pretty clueless as to how to play with a more agile/less strong team, as I tend to struggle a bit on the gameplan when I'm on the weak side of armor. That's what I'd like to improve, playing with the so called agi teams. I know skavens are not exactly the archetype of agi team but fullfill the role in the pitch pretty well (although worse linos, better blitzers) and I like them a lot lore wise, so that's what I'm playing in first season in OCC. And I'm playing a rogre because I hope it'll be fun and not die the first game.

So, it'd be great if someone would give a hand on this! Be it some friendlies, general advice, review some of the games to spot mistakes or just talk through level ups and set ups. Bonus points for advice on OTTDs!

Hello!

I am Joey Wevs in discord/bloodbowl and here is my Twitch - twitch.tv/red_herring_gaming86/profile, would love to have a mentor for Kislev coaching. I will be playing Kislev in my first ever season of OCC.

I've played with so many races and at the moment playing Chaos, Dark Elves, Kislev and Necro in other leagues, and Kislev is the team I've loved the most. I have maybe played about 200 to 300 games in blood bowl and honestly think i could use improvement in positioning on both offense and defense. I think I know how to screen but often over commit and get stuck in brawls.

Any help that I can receive would be amazing to have.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm new to the mentor programme.

I've been around OCC for 6 or 7 seasons, several races.

I do usually well in tier 6 and then get smashed to bits in tier 5.

I've been around BB since '94.

I'm playing Orcs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dolbain

Awards

On 11/2/2020 at 12:54 PM, dolbain said:

Hi guys,

I'm new to the mentor programme.

I've been around OCC for 6 or 7 seasons, several races.

I do usually well in tier 6 and then get smashed to bits in tier 5.

I've been around BB since '94.

I'm playing Orcs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dolbain

Hello @dolbain sorry for the some what late response. So you have been playing for quite a while, but it seems there is still some fundamental issue. What is going wrong? Are you getting constantly outbashed by teams you should beat? are you having trouble moving foward and scoring? Do you take a more unique approach when giving skills or do you follow the more typical (guard, mighty blow etc) level ups for the blitzers and black orks? Any information on what you think is going wrong or where you need help would be appreciated.

23 hours ago, Ynwe said:

Hello @dolbain sorry for the some what late response. So you have been playing for quite a while, but it seems there is still some fundamental issue. What is going wrong? Are you getting constantly outbashed by teams you should beat? are you having trouble moving foward and scoring? Do you take a more unique approach when giving skills or do you follow the more typical (guard, mighty blow etc) level ups for the blitzers and black orks? Any information on what you think is going wrong or where you need help would be appreciated.

Hi @Ynwe,

I have no momentum going forward, I struggle to score.

Most of the time I end up scoring with the most unlikely dice rolling but I know that only works occasionally.

I don't seem to be able to pin my opponents' players so I can bash them out of the pitch.

I do regular development of my players, around skills that affect dice block first, block, tackle, guard. I like MB to add some removals but MB doesn't work if you don't knock them down first.

Awards

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I just registered for my first season in OCC. I picked Chaos Dwarfs (yes, I know we’re not supposed to play the OP races…) EDIT: I take Humans to OCC instead of the Chorfs.

I could really need some help.

My Blood Bowl history are at this moment just short of 50 games in BB2 most of those in CCL. I did also play TT back around year 2000, as a Skaven coach and won a lot. Therefore, I thought that I was rather good, but me and the guys I played with were probably all bad. I just won because MA9 and a tad better understanding of the game.

I would say that my theoretic knowledge of Blood Bowl is pretty good. I know and understand all the rules, I know and understand the concepts of chainpushing, surfs, one-turns and so on. Also, I’m aware that each turn should have specific priorities, such as, make ball safe, safe blocks first and so on. However, all of these fancy theories seem to take a nosedive as soon as the game goes live.

I’m sure that the lacking experience is a big factor there, and also I struggle with the 2-minute turns I ccl. Sometimes I’m just too clever for my own good, thinking up fancy plays and falling flat on my back.

I would appreciate any help I could get, be it, Friendlies, tricky questions, replay analysis, diagrams or something else.

I would especially like help with:

• Positioning during the turns. Both on offence and defense.
  • Planning blocks, and positioning in a blocking-scrum.
  • Multiple turn planning and positioning.
Edited by Gelbek

Awards

Hello, Im fairly new to the Blood bowl community. I just got it back in early September. This is my second season of OCC, Im pretty good at going through the theoretical decisions of each turn and making good plays throughout the match. However, I think one of my biggest problems might be positioning along with defensive kick off. Another thing I know Im struggling with is cage diving, but due to my team this season, I don't believe that will be an big issue (kislev). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Yours truly,

EffexTalon

Awards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've played 50 ish games, but mostly in the Reddit Rookie League spin and win, with a few games in the Reddit Rookie Upstarts league. I've mostly played as Undead, Orcs and Humans. I've chosen Dark Elves for OCC, I've played a handful of games as Wood Elves but 0 as Dark Elves, I'll be getting a few practice games in soon. I've read up a reasonable amount on the basic strategies within Blood Bowl, I also watch a lot of Blood Bowl matches (cKnoor, AndyDavo, Sage) which I feel have helped me.

The sorts of mentoring which seem like they'd be of most interest would be:

- beginner elf tips (I'm mostly in bash thought mode at the moment)

- quick bits of advice about the next upcoming match, with regards to the races involved or particular players to watch out for

- if possible then analysis of replays would be very interesting, maybe I could highlight small sections where I felt like things went wrong, but I realise that's a much bigger time commitment, so just a thought really.

Thanks

Awards

On 12/2/2020 at 5:06 PM, Gelbek said:

Hi.

I just registered for my first season in OCC. I picked Chaos Dwarfs (yes, I know we’re not supposed to play the OP races…)

I could really need some help.

My Blood Bowl history are at this moment just short of 50 games in BB2 most of those in CCL. I did also play TT back around year 2000, as a Skaven coach and won a lot. Therefore, I thought that I was rather good, but me and the guys I played with were probably all bad. I just won because MA9 and a tad better understanding of the game.

I would say that my theoretic knowledge of Blood Bowl is pretty good. I know and understand all the rules, I know and understand the concepts of chainpushing, surfs, one-turns and so on. Also, I’m aware that each turn should have specific priorities, such as, make ball safe, safe blocks first and so on. However, all of these fancy theories seem to take a nosedive as soon as the game goes live.

I’m sure that the lacking experience is a big factor there, and also I struggle with the 2-minute turns I ccl. Sometimes I’m just too clever for my own good, thinking up fancy plays and falling flat on my back.

I would appreciate any help I could get, be it, Friendlies, tricky questions, replay analysis, diagrams or something else.

I would especially like help with:

• Positioning during the turns. Both on offence and defense.
  • Planning blocks, and positioning in a blocking-scrum.
  • Multiple turn planning and positioning.

This is still the case, only I have desided to bring a Human team instead of the Chorfs.

Awards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, fairly new to Blood bowl in terms of games experience but I would say I have a good understanding of some concepts such as when to score, securing the ball, how to think about each turn and what you want to do, 2 die blocks, surfing.   I've played some tabletop, mainly 7s, and now trying to get more into 11s, but could really use some help with expanding my knowledge with things like-  player position per turn, certain play strategy per turn and looking out for things like 1 turn plays from opponents as well as good formations for offense and defence.

I'm more bashy/running style player - Chaos, undead, dwarfs, lizards and would really appreciate any help a more experienced coach can provide. 

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Howdy!  I'm a new coach and most of my Blood Bowl experience comes from watching streamers and I have played a few games.  So while I know to do certain things, in some cases I'm not sure why I'm doing those things.  I've got a few games under my belt and I have a good grasp on the fundamentals of the game, I notice that I need to work on better strategies to get myself out of the situations I sometimes put myself in.  Maybe even learning how to not get myself into sticky situations in the first place? 

I've been playing Orcs but am interested in learning the other teams, I'm just focusing on Orcs so I can get a good grasp on the fundamentals and I've heard they're a more forgiving team to play with than some of the others, eventually.

Anyway, what I'm really looking for are more friends to play Blood Bowl with. So if you don't mind playing with a rookie that's still learning the basics let me know.  I'm available to play Mon/Wed/Thurs 1300-1600 UTC, Tuesday is variable, but usually sometime within that window, and Saturday 1200-1530 UTC.  Feel free to message me on Discord, I'm SoapyTheBum#8378 or just message me here.

• 1 year later...

Hi, is this topic/mentoring still a thing?

My name is Branch, I'm about 300 hours into blood bowl 2, with about 10 games played on tabletop. I played a lot of Dark Elves and Lizardmen, as well as a bit of skaven here and there. I am not a good coach, often rely on luck to get my goals done.

Judging from my own perspective I am most comfortable with these teams, when the game gets a bit more chaotic. The play is spread out and quick pieces can accomplish a lot on their own.

This season in CCL I played chaos for the first time, and managed to come in at about 50% winrate with the team. And I realized that I am not very good at judging where my pieces need to go, to end the turn with a cohesive line/formation on both defense and offense. Especially when numbers are even-ish or my opponent has stronger pieces/more guard than my team.

Im signed up for division 5 in the upcoming season with rookie chaos and looking for someone to talk about upcoming matchups and analyze replays. Im looking to improve my play on 3 specific points (or anything else that needs improving from your POV):
Most imporantly I want to improve the positioning of my players, at the end of the turn.

On offense I want to learn to (quicker) identify weak spots to attack on the oppos defense, when even numbers/out-strengthed.

For defense I want to improve my setups for the kickoff, and how to keep my guys in formation and not get players split off/isolated from the rest of the team.

Awards

• 1 year later...