Season 17 Team Numbers

Juriel

Yes, Wizhazu's Lords of Winter almost were the Norse who got into div1. It was all down to MD9 matches, and they drew their match, and got left out in the cold.

So brave! So inspiring!

It will come to pass.

I believe we all shall see it...a better day, for you and me.

Grumpf.. 36 chaourgles are a pretty high faction. Not that surprising with how good they are at high TV fitting long league structure. 26 orc teams are also considerable, and are also numerous due to the same arguments.

But in a competative environment, one can't fault players for picking the best teams, so can't expect numbers to become equal.

Wonder what would happen if all the teams had infinite amount of cash. Then fragile teams wouldn't be so hampered by lacking cash to replace players. High survival teams don't care much anyhow. Going bankrupt after 10 seasons and having to drop to low TV to replace some players isn't even close to what the low survival teams have to.

Guess that isn't possible to implement though.. An absolute TV limit might also help the low survival teams in the long run, but that sounds pretty invasive.

Awards

Thing is, given the history of champions in OCC, people seem to be picking the wrong races.

Orcs, 2 titles. Chaos 1 title. Nurgle 0 titles.

Wood Elf: 7 titles

High Elf: 1 title

Dark Elf: 1 title

Lizards: 4 titles

With elves having 9 out of 16 titles, surely that's the kind of race to pick if you want to win (granted, it looks like something other than elves will win this season).

4 different coaches have won OCC with some kind of elf.

3 different coaches have won OCC with lizards

2 different coaches have won OCC with orcs

1 coach has won OCC with chaos

Just saying :D

Grumpf.. 36 chaourgles are a pretty high faction. Not that surprising with how good they are at high TV fitting long league structure. 26 orc teams are also considerable, and are also numerous due to the same arguments.

But in a competative environment, one can't fault players for picking the best teams, so can't expect numbers to become equal.

People don't choose teams because they are good at winning. Chaos have a mid-range win% at best. The top teams in terms of winning are the AG teams: all the elves and skaven.

Awards

People (myself included) are not very fond of seeing their players die on the field. Then nurgle/chaos/orc/(dwarfs) are good choices since most of the players tend to survive for a long time, you also get huge bankrolls (I have 1.5M or so even with all the rebuying of rotters and cheerleaders/coaches) so replacing players isn't a problem moneywise (only skillwise).

Elfs, rats (and to some degree lizards) do very well as long as their team is intact. Then when you lose a few too many of key players in quick succession (and you cant afford new ones) things tend to start snowballing and you'll eventually have to restart (or play with TV1500 wood elfs).

I think the league would be more fun if we had a lot less bash teams in it. Myself I play bash because I don't feel like going into every game wondering how many of my players will be smacked to pieces before the game is over (a bit of catch 22).

Naaaa. PPL tends to play what suits them best, bash feels easier (it isn´t as the Winners of div1 shows).

I play alot of bash sure i can find a game or two as agi team to be fun but i allways go back to bash. Underworld might be a hybrid team but plays alot as bash ;) even if you take alot off cas yourself :P

//Baalz

Agree here, most people pick av9 to survive, only a few pick them to slaughter other peoples team easy to notice those coaches they got POMBCLAWTackle or a combo without claw for those teams that cant get those. But its not these really its the ones that also foul each and everyturn without wanton ontop of that. Sure its a tactic and its also ok as its BB but not all av9 coaches pick that skillset or do a foul at end of each turn either. Sad but true a av9 team survives better against this playstyle.

Its like RL when someone brings a knife to a fistfight the others will come with knifes the next fight, and then the time after that its guns.. This kinda behavior escalates...

But still all skills and fouling are part of the game!

I would disagree that it is high ag teams that win, it is more the high MV (there have been two four Lizard winners after all). It just happens that many of the teams with high ag also have high mv.

The particular league structure of the OCC also favours the high risk/high reward teams which win a lot (as opposed to orcs who can occasionally with some bad dice for you or lucky dice for your opponent manage to get a draw instead of a win). Getting a 2 turn TD as elves is routine. As Lizards is not so bad. As orcs can be tricky, as nurgle it can be tough indeed if you are facing anything like 11 players), and sometimes to win instead of draw you need to get a fast touchdown.

If it was 2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, or there were end of season playoffs then it would help the bashy teams win. There is nothing like the cyanide overtime rules to make a 2-1 grind easier. You receive, score on T8, prevent a 1TT and then there is unlimited time to score the winner in overtime.

The high number of orcs is not that surprising given that there is not *that* much CPOMB in the league (well the Bear Hunters know how to bring the pain, but the other two teams in Div 1 have 0 CPOMB and only 3 CMB between them), well in the case of Khorne Flakes bowl this might be related to the fact that his CW have a total of 34 spp between them :D. If there were a lot more teams like the Bear Hunters around then I think we would see a few less orcs :D, was tempted to try to help out with that myself, but probably would get bored.

Anyway Div 1 does look interesting this year for certain, with 2 speed/agi teams and 1 hybrid and 7 bash, could easily be another bash winner. Will depend a bit on how well the blue blood armour holds up I think, but that is pretty standard in BB :D, if there are 11 elves on the pitch close to the end of the match then they win :D.

Edited by Etheric