Goblin Starting Fodder

C2MC

So, as someone who hasn't really taken a stab at Nilbogs before, I'd appreciate any and all input on the subject.

At first, I was very keen on including every positional in my roster, but that seemed like a bad idea overall.

After checking out the Division we find ourselves in, I also feel like a Bombardier and Pogo would be ineffective. The Bombardier will get tagged by the vast amount of fast players and same goes for the Gob-On-A-Stick.

On the other hand, a well developed Pogo-Boy just sounds like a lot of fun.

Currently our starting roster would be:

2 Trolls

1 Chainsaw

1 Fanatic

10 Goblins

2 or 3 rerolls

No Apothecary

If I take the Pogo, it would 100% be a 2RR roster with 9 normal Gobbos.

Thoughts?

• :helf:  Khuno Tridentis - Ultimate Ultimates - High Elf - -
  • :pelf:  Borke - Lustrian Kites - Elven Union - - UTC +1
  • :gobbo:  C2MC - Alliteration Aggregation - Goblin - -
  • :vamps:  INQUISITEUR - The Dakul - Vampire - -
  • :necro:  cwctoby - Grim Wood Reapers - Necromantic - -
  • :dwarf:  Count Mathas - Count's Duran Duran - Dwarf - -
  • :necro:  SniperKrizz - Nasty Necromancy - Necromantic - -
  • :necro:  Czero - Bohemian WAAAGHsody - Necromantic - -
  • :chaosdwarf:  Feedrik - The Fire-Dorfs - Chaos Dwarf - -
  • :orc:  Hidelfon - Mordheim Renegades - Orc -

Back in the day of Dalryk, the Goblin King, I was following his blog religiously. I'm not sure how well his experiences from back then would translate into the new bank rule system, but I can tell you that his management of a Gobbo team involved lots of selling and re-buying some matches later - all to manage your TV. The two stars that Dalryk basically always ran were the Chainsaw and Ball & Chain. He sometimes tried the Bomber for a while, until he leveled and didn't get a double, at which point he'd sell him again and then often not play with a bomber at all for a while. And he rarely used the Pogoer, saying he was not worth it. But I'm not sure whether that's true for a starting team - I feel like the Pogoer might actually be decent value for money for a while.

And with a Gobbo team, low TV is everything. Just like Halflings, only worse. Because Halflings at least have naturally low TV, whereas Gobbos struggle a bit to keep their TV low. A "decent" inducement haul starts at 420k (Ripper + 3 bribes). Your starting roster is 910k, if I calculated correctly, so in order to get 420k worth of inducements, you'd want to be playing 1330k teams. And that's without any skills on your team at all.

So yeah, learn to play with plain rookie Gobbos, they are probably the best value for money that you can get, with only a few exceptions.

Yeah, my biggest gripe with gobbos is I want all the positionals but also low TV for bribes and stars. Managing TV is important, and if you're starting out, you won't get inducements unless you cut corners. You want those bribes to keep your weapons in. As for the pogoer, I do like them for doing mad cage breaking and the like. But that's just another way out of very many to attract turnovers. :D

Some gobbo matches are just a complete bust because your weapons are sent off before doing anything fun. But gobbos have also given me some of the funniest successful plays in my career, involving secret weapons and gobbo throwing.

Remember, throw a gobbo every turn! They can hit people and kill them. I even use it to have someone to mark. You only turn over if you drop the ball or hit one of you own players, so it's actually quite a safe move. I always get me a strong arm troll.

19 hours ago, wismerhill said:

ouch.. dorf AND Cdorf...

Get out of here with your negativity, you!

18 hours ago, joppa said:

I like your starting roster. I don't think that Pogo is worth its TV.

I'm on the fence about the Pogo. It just seems fun to Leap over stuff on occasion. In this Division i'm afraid he'll be an easy target, though.

17 hours ago, Borke said:

Back in the day of Dalryk, the Goblin King, I was following his blog religiously. I'm not sure how well his experiences from back then would translate into the new bank rule system, but I can tell you that his management of a Gobbo team involved lots of selling and re-buying some matches later - all to manage your TV.

I think I used to watch his replays. Wa shis team full of Goblins named somethiing-something-ball?

15 hours ago, Rymdkejsaren said:

Remember, throw a gobbo every turn! They can hit people and kill them. I even use it to have someone to mark. You only turn over if you drop the ball or hit one of you own players, so it's actually quite a safe move. I always get me a strong arm troll.

As someone who Coached Ogres, I don't think that Loner and Always Hungry will allow me pull that off. Even without the additional negatraits, TTM was a big disappointment for me.

11 hours ago, Tys123 said:

I would skip the pogo.

You want to keep your TV low so you can have 3 trolls and 2 fanatics though it will take a season or 2 for the TV difference to become large enough.

For that reason the cheap stars stadium is the one to go for.

Also sack gobbos that don't roll a double or +AG assuming you have the cash to replace.

My research has also shown me the plan you set before me here. Rotate through Gobbos, get the Star Stadium and aim for Ripper and Fungus.

Just now, C2MC said:

As someone who Coached Ogres, I don't think that Loner and Always Hungry will allow me pull that off. Even without the additional negatraits, TTM was a big disappointment for me.

I don't seriously think you should throw EVERY turn, but I think it's something that can be used outside of the most obvious situations (OTTD and throwing at a cage). I used it as a general way of moving goblins behind the line while sometimes lucking out and hitting an opponent. I also often used it to get a gobbo in range for blitzes or marks. People tend to dismiss the option as a valid tactic, meaning they don't defend against it and leave themselves open. So a thrown gobbo plus maybe a couple of stunty dodges and you can hit a ball carrier with 1 die, for example.

• 2 months later...

Step 1: gobbo rolls doubles, takes HMP. Follow up with catch/diving catch/pass/+AG depending on subsequent rolls

Step 2: bombardier + star bombardier

Step 3: HMP two bombs per turn from deep in your backfield

Step 4: chainsaw fouls 

Step 5: capering and cackling

But that's for the future. For starting, I would try to stay under 900k, 2 bribes is very nice. 3 RRs, 9 gobbos, rest the same.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:24 PM, Suido said:

Step 1: gobbo rolls doubles, takes HMP. Follow up with catch/diving catch/pass/+AG depending on subsequent rolls

Step 2: bombardier + star bombardier

Step 3: HMP two bombs per turn from deep in your backfield

Step 4: chainsaw fouls 

Step 5: capering and cackling

But that's for the future. For starting, I would try to stay under 900k, 2 bribes is very nice. 3 RRs, 9 gobbos, rest the same.

If only that worked in BB2, shame I enjoyed that in BB1 :D

Tried it also with a custom team, you can throw the bomb to HMP goblin but you have no option to use HMP once caught, only pass whatever the mouse click is call up that menu. You can't even use the star player to throw a bomb to a HMP bomber. Although it never crashed my game.

I suppose it was a bug/exploit under BB1, not sure how it would ruled under TT game or even if it would be against the rules depending on how the passing rules are stated in TT. To me it is a bit of shame you can't as it is a high risk/reward move that can and will blow up your own goblins :D

Edited by GaryW