UnDeadly As Cuz!

Suido

On 7/22/2020 at 12:02 AM, Doomy77 said:

Speaking of Undead teams in the championship, am I right in thinking one such team claimed the title? Seem to think Javelin may have achieved this several years ago.

I only made it to tier 2 back when tier one was the championship. I did have two strength 6 block mummies for a short 17 turn. They were glorious turns though. Even then it was not recycling mummies that wore me out, it was trying to rebuild wights and ghouls in the top tiers. That is a very difficult task with develop kill teams around.

3 hours ago, Javelin said:

I only made it to tier 2 back when tier one was the championship. I did have two strength 6 block mummies for a short 17 turn. They were glorious turns though. Even then it was not recycling mummies that wore me out, it was trying to rebuild wights and ghouls in the top tiers. That is a very difficult task with develop kill teams around.

Yeah, I had a promising Undead team ripped to pieces in just one bad match. 

MD3 vs @Bloodsplatter

Fuckin pissed down all game, ay. Just what we need against a trio of gutter runners and a thrower with a trio of arms - a slippery bastard of a ball. The rats won the toss and chose to receive, they musta got the nudge that the weather wasn't goin anywhere.

Rat ogre up hit us on the left and the rats were swarmin like bloody flies in summer. Forgot the bloody ball though, didn't they, the thrower coughed it up on a quick pass. I was on it like a shot. Me wight opened up the gap with a casualty (see general planning on previous page, tick!), then a ghoul grabbed the ball yew bewdy. The other wight played silly buggers tryin to dodge the rat ogre, and that left the big bastard enough room to blitz back at the ball carrier. Just a push before the big fella ran outta puff, phew. Havin a rat ogre and two runners markin your ball carrier is bit bloody sub-optimal, so time to get amongst it.

Except I'm a silly bastard that forgot the rat ogre had stand firm, aren't I? So after doin all the hard work to set up a chain push and GFI with a mummy, the rat bastard goes fuckin nowhere. Righto. Plan B. The ghoul blocks a runner to get away from that reprehensible tail.

Now things get a bit weird. First the rat ogre kills Deaddie Betts. RIP ghoul. Then, the rats, they do nothing. Me opponents' screen was playing silly buggers, their turn timed out without even throwing the 2D block against the ball carrier. Rough end of the pineapple for him, poor bloke. So make some hits, no real damage, and dodge away to score. 1-0, gettin wet n wild.

Another kick off, another high kick, this time the thrower catches it. The rats have used all their rerolls by now - all on successful loner rolls, not bad aye - so they're riding their luck as they run the left side push again. More screen troubles, the thrower doesn't even move, left standing unprotected when the clock hits zero. What's a bloke to do? A better bloke than me mighta left the thrower alone, figuring it's not fair. Maybe even me on a different night. But not tonight. I dropped that rat like it was a rabbit with mixy. Just marked the ball with a ghoul this time, only to watch it get 1D KOd by a loner linerat. But a runner failed the pick up, so still goin ok.

What time is it? Wight time! Spent the rest of the half trying to run the ball forward with a wight. Nearly, but not kwight. The half ended when some gutter runner bullshit ended in a failed catch. Still 1-0, feelin good.

Second half started with a perfect defense and a touchback. What a rollercoaster of emotion that is. No rookie ghouls on the pitch, so I gave the ball to a wight. The team formed up and belted the linerats, to zero effect. 

Three rats ran around the back of the cage, but the blitz didn't get inside, and that left me with opportunities in front. I dropped an arguably iffy lightning bolt on the rat ogre to help open a nice big hole, then nearly fucked up the cage, had to GFI with a zombie to fix it.

The rats piled into the back of the cage, four of em, but 5 hits and 2 knock downs were enough to get the ball carrier safe again. The rat ogre had a shot to frenzy into contact, but was foiled by an overly successful first hit. I shoulda, coulda kept a bit of a cage rolling through, but sent the wight running ahead. Sure, all their players were marked, but that doesn't mean much for gutter runners. Saved by the rat ogre, whose juggernaut was no help on a 1/9 block. Knocked the big fella out for the rest of the match, too.

Some greedy hits, including a 3D block by a mummy that needed a reroll, then the wight took it over and we were up 2-0. A riot kicked off, and the game clock went back. 5 turns left, heaps of time. Bloody gutter runners.

The rats got the ball to a runner, but before he could move a loner linerat failed a block and died. First new zombie for UnDeadly As Cuz! 

It was 11v7 now, and we started to bully the rats, surrounding them and leaving nowhere safe. A series of blocks opened a path and a ghoul made the sack. A bit of back and forth, sacks and tackles and steals, and the game eventually came to a soggy end with no further damage to players or scoreboard. And still it kept raining.

First win in the OCC with undead! Somewhat tarnished by the fact that bloodsplatter was wrestling with their UI most of the game, and it definitely affected the first half. The other deciding factor was their 4 loners failing a lot of rolls. 

Anyhoo, celebrate success:

• Both wights gained 5 SPPs (TD+CAS and MVP), both on the threshold of a first skill
  • Ghouls did solid work against the gutter runners
  • Getting better at keeping the mummies in decent positions on offense
  • 61-22 blocks is a healthy ratio
  • Free zombie from opponent's failed block. Worth keeping a 14th player? Will think about it.
  • Sittin mid-table with a 1/1/1 record. Not bad after losing the first game, and just 3 points behind the ladder leader ay. 
  • No fouls, and neither casualty was worth bounty hunter points. Boring.
  • Killed a rookie linerat. 50K Bounty Hunter points woo.
  • BoG: Nicky Grim-mar (5 AV breaks, protected the other wight from the rat ogre and knocked it out to ensure the 2nd TD, nearly scored himself in the first half, deserving MVP recipient I reckon)

Next time, underworld and a coupla nasty blitzers. But plenty of stunties, so hopefully some more skills. I am too used to playing elves. Only 1 skill after 3 games feels ridiculous. Hooroo.

Nice work, Undead vs Skaven is always tricky for both teams.

Personally I doubt 14 players is needed, but I would wait to see what your TV difference is next match to decide.  I wouldn't keep him if it means giving even a babe to your opponent, or if it means the difference in you getting something useful.  I prefer to fire 0spp bought zombies and keep recruited zombies with opponent player names though, just more fun that way :D

Nice report.

From my perspective it was FRUS BLOODY TRATING....

Screen kept freezing at the centre mark, and I couldn't see half the field. Its the first time something like this has happened in goodness knows how many games...It meant that each move I made took two or three times as long as normally, and my turn kept timing out whilst I was trying to get the relevant rats in the frame... The hit on the ball carrier in the first half that I had lined up didn't happen 'cos I was looking at the centre of the field and couldn't see the furry fecker...Then any player on the periphery of the field just got left there again 'cos I couldn't see them....FUCKWINKLES!!

love bloodsplatter xxx

Awards

31 minutes ago, Bloodsplatter said:

Nice report.

Screen kept freezing at the centre mark, and I couldn't see half the field. Its the first time something like this has happened in goodness knows how many games...It meant that each move I made took two or three times as long as normally, and my turn kept timing out whilst I was trying to get the relevant rats in the frame... The hit on the ball carrier in the first half that I had lined up didn't happen 'cos I was looking at the centre of the field and couldn't see the furry fecker...Then any player on the periphery of the field just got left there again 'cos I couldn't see them....FUCKWINKLES!!

love bloodsplatter xxx

Remember if you disconnect you have 6 minutes to get back in, so perhaps a restart of the game/computer might help.

6 hours ago, Suido said:

MD3 vs @Bloodsplatter

• Free zombie from opponent's failed block. Worth keeping a 14th player? Will think about it.
  • Sittin mid-table with a 1/1/1 record. Not bad after losing the first game, and just 3 points behind the ladder leader ay. 
  • No fouls, and neither casualty was worth bounty hunter points. Boring.

Dear Sir

That new Zombie it's gift from Nuffle who is saying to you "YOU NEED MORE FOULS! TAKE THIS ZOMBIE AND USE IT TO FOUL THOSE UNDERWORLD GITS"
Sincerely

The One Who Cares About Zombies

7 hours ago, crimsonsun said:

Sounds like a interesting game, no choice but to exploit your opponents technical difficulties its simply not your fault... I'll watch it when I've got a moment, anything you want me to concentrate on this week?

Structure and planning on offence felt like the weakest part of my game. I reckon I coulda been a bit more patient, a bit more careful, probably.

5 hours ago, Bloodsplatter said:

Nice report.

love bloodsplatter xxx

That exact thing has happened to me once, and it was a really strange set of circumstances. In my situation I had logged in on one computer and I was doing something in blood bowl and forgot. Then I went to a different computer later and logged in and connected to a game.

Another week, another opponent. Underworld, playing on Thursday.

Two blitzers to watch out for:

• MB/Claw/+ST
  • MB/Claw/PO

3 gobbos have rolled doubles: block, wrestle and DP. They'll be annoying.

I'm saving to replace the dead ghoul so no new purchases this week, and I'll have 310K inducement. Does anyone ever take Igors against clawpombers? I don't think I will this time, none of my players are that important yet. Probably go wizard/bribe/babe.

@crimsonsun catch up again this weekend to debrief both matches against rat teams?

Never Igor, bribe dp will keep you safer.

A disciplined cage where the  mummies are never alone on the corner is key in this match. Underworld usually lack the guard to just hit the mummies straight on if there  are a zombie next to them.

the strength blitzer will be a problem but at least it doesn’t have po.

MD4 vs Toxic Moonabouts @Kubusta

Turned up to play with a wizard, a bribe and a keg of bloodweiser to help us against this mob of mutants. Coupla clawed blitzers, gonna do them dirtier than a miner’s undies, I reckon. Won the toss, hoped that three dice blocks would beat the goblins’ dodge. I was wronger than a Bunnings trip without a sausage sanga. The blitz managed a knock down, but didn’t break armour. Spewin.

9lM1jAb.png

Like bowling on the first morning at the WACA and not getting a wicket before lunch.

Otherwise, the kick off gave both teams free bribes, and the rookie ghoul got the ball into safety. Beaut. Slow and steady drive was too slow and steady. Even with the help of a goblin failing a block and knocking itself out, we were spinning the tyres on the hilux and gettin nowhere. First foul attempt didn’t break armour, and left a gap for Staban Tuek to make a 1D blitz and knock out a mummy. Bugger.

i6TvCOi.png

The skelly could’ve been one step forwards, blocking the yellow blitz path.

Sent in the other mummy to get revenge on Staban, but just more knock downs and failed armour breaks. Got impatient, tried switching play. Instant result: two linerats off the pitch. Other instant result: no cage because I keep forgetting I’m not playing elves. They had a blitzer who could swing around left or two gobbos that could do the same on the right. I protected against the blitzer. 4 GFIs later, the gobbos made the 1D hit - push/RR/DS. The drive aten’t dead yet. To make matters better, a goblin fouled my skeleton for no effect, got red carded and wasted the bribe. Words I have never said before and will never say again: that ref is a dead set legend.

We cleared the cage of immediate threats, but the ball carrier went the wrong way. Neither way was good, because I’d split the team, but I went further wide on the right, giving the gobbos another shot. If I’d sent the ghoul back over to the mummy, it would’ve been similarly exposed to 1D hits, but much closer to scoring and my mummy would’ve been back in the game. Both goblins made their dodges, this time the ball carrier went down and the gobbo picked up the ball on the follow through. Smug little git.

A wight took the blitz, and my early dice problems against goblins resurfaced. Four dice, no knock down. Ah well, time for some sub-plot. The other wight KOd a goblin (see, it’s easy when it doesn’t matter), and the team were happily knocking down Staban and sticking the boot in. All was made ok by the ball carrier failing its dodge, which ensured a scoreless half for both teams. That left just fouling and a vanity pass for a wight. The foul worked (see below), but the pass didn't - both wights still stuck on 5 SPPs. 

W5J410A.png

I called this shot, too bad it was only Badly Hurt

Tipped the keg of bloodweiser into the mummy, propped it up, leaking a heady mixture of embalming fluid and bloodweiser. Seemed to work, it was back on the pitch for the second half. The Moonabouts got two KOs back so it was 11 vs 8, and they were down to just one blitzer and linerat. 

I had blitzing options – linerat, thrower, gobbos? Opted for a 3D blitz by a wight on a goblin for a stun, with wight and a ghoul in position to threaten their backfield. That sent the thrower scarpering to the opposite side of the pitch, and the UnDeadly As crew hustling across to catch up

Thrower ran up the sideline, blitzer following to hit a ghoul, and two other gobbos created the minimalist cage. Dropped the lightning bolt on the throwers head, no armour break, a wight surfed a goblin and marked the ball. Rest of the team hustled in, but it was too late. The remaining goblin dodged and sprinted to the endzone, the thrower recovered the ball, dodged away from the wight and fired off a short pass. Eight dice rolls, no wuckers. 1-0.

Five turns left and all I want is a level for any of my rookie positionals. Just one. Rookie ghoul back to get the ball, hit by a rock and stunned. Then a mummy rolled Skull/Skull/BD on the first block. Now we're down to a single reroll for the rest of the half. The rest of the bash dice are ok, getting two stuns and a KO, but my second ghoul fails the pick up. Pressure rising like a fire danger rating. Code red in view.

A linerat came sniffin around in our half, but we weren't takin chances any more. Wight blitzed for a stun, noice. Ghoul failed the pick up again. I could wait one more turn, or I could use the reroll. Tough call. Reroll used, and  the ghoul makes the pick up. Thank fuck. No GFIs or passing required, but I also won't be risking giving it to the rookie ghoul or either wight.

One mummy marked their blitzer out of the game, and the other kept the troll busy until it rolled BD/BD against a zombie, failed its loner and stunned both players. Pressure off, stick a fork in this game, it's done. Shaun evened the scores in Turn 16.

What did I do on my holidays learn from this game?

• 3D blocks are not a silver bullet.
    • Dodge > 3D hits without block/tackle
    • 13 blocks by mummies, two 1/27 results requiring rerolls
  • Switching sides on attack was a bad choice. I gotta stick with plan A for longer. *
  • On defense, I overplayed to one side on that first turn to get the 3D hit on the goblin, should have 2D hit a rat**
  • After all the effort and zero success at trying to give SPPs to the wights and rookie ghoul, one of the wights got the MVP. Hurrah!
    • Rolled double, took guard. Gonna need it for impending chorf - orc - chorf - chaos - dwarf matches.
    • It feels very weird to have 40 SPPs on the team, but only two skills. Sub-optimal distribution, for sure.
  • Nothing worse than MNG, so no bounty hunter points :gutted:
  • Need to go back and count the fouls (TBC)

*I felt completely bogged down, but I was moving away from my only mummy and couldn't bring enough players across to create a safe cage. I should have trusted in attritional play for a couple more turns before trying plan B. It took a while, but by the end of the half they were down two casualties, four KOs and a red card, against my single KO. Any half that ends with a 6-player advantage is a missed opportunity to score. Losing the mummy made me feel very exposed, but I really should have held firm within my formation, stayed safe and waited for the opportunity to advance in strength.

**That left me just too far away to completely shut down their attack up the other sideline. I did force a low-percentage (37% with TRR) touchdown attempt, but it worked, so that's worth 37% of bugger-all.

Sitting 4th on the ladder (could drop to 5th pending final MD4 match result), and from now on it only gets tougher. No easy casualties, big TV differences. It’s gonna be a slog. 

Righto. Let’s go.

Should have either switched sides a turn before you did or stayed with the plan. 

turn 6 i would have dodged your bc ghoul through, it works 8/9 times and had more or less secured the td and if it had failed there where 2-3 of your players covering  the failed dodge.

i find that when shit hits the fan and you are a mummy out its better to get as many of your opponents players stuck on the remaining mummy as possible and then scramble with the ghouls, so i dont think you where wrong in switching sides you should have just committed to it sooner and utilized that the ghoul can outrun his gobbos.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm really appreciating the feedback I'm getting on this blog. :D

MD5 scheduled for Monday night. Still in 4th place, atop a pile of teams all with 1/2/1 records, including my next opponent.

The StoneFoot Stomperz have just hired a minotaur which pumped their TV up to 1540, so I'll have lots of inducements to play with. Five MB, only one Guard. Two chorfs with MA3, one of those with ST4. Both centaurs have block, one has AG3, neither has break tackle. Solid lineup, but even less mobile than typical chorfs. 

I have TV1120 and 110K in the bank. Three block/tackle/MB chorfs doesn't bode well for ghouls. Hiring a new third ghoul to sit on the bench in case of bad things happening to the first two sounds pretty good, but so does inducing a DP skeleton.

• Buy new ghoul
    • 14 players, deep bench 
    • 350K inducements - wizard and
      • 2 bribes
      • bribe & 2 kegs
      • other?
  • Don't buy new ghoul
    • 13 players, relying on 2 ghouls to do their job
    • 420K inducements - wizard and
      • DP skelly, keg, bribe
      • other?

Currently leaning towards new ghoul, wizard, bribe and 2 kegs. If I had DP on the roster, I'd go for the 2 bribes, but alas, I do not.

34 minutes ago, Suido said:

Thanks again for the advice, I'm really appreciating the feedback I'm getting on this blog. :D

MD5 scheduled for Monday night. Still in 4th place, atop a pile of teams all with 1/2/1 records, including my next opponent.

The StoneFoot Stomperz have just hired a minotaur which pumped their TV up to 1540, so I'll have lots of inducements to play with. Five MB, only one Guard. Two chorfs with MA3, one of those with ST4. Both centaurs have block, one has AG3, neither has break tackle. Solid lineup, but even less mobile than typical chorfs. 

I have TV1120 and 110K in the bank. Three block/tackle/MB chorfs doesn't bode well for ghouls. Hiring a new third ghoul to sit on the bench in case of bad things happening to the first two sounds pretty good, but so does inducing a DP skeleton.

• Buy new ghoul
    • 14 players, deep bench 
    • 350K inducements - wizard and
      • 2 bribes
      • bribe & 2 kegs
      • other?
  • Don't buy new ghoul
    • 13 players, relying on 2 ghouls to do their job
    • 420K inducements - wizard and
      • DP skelly, keg, bribe
      • other?

Currently leaning towards new ghoul, wizard, bribe and 2 kegs. If I had DP on the roster, I'd go for the 2 bribes, but alas, I do not.

Wizard is great, but don't discount Count Luthor. str 5, ag4 block sidestep vampire is a great player. The str4 strip ball skeleton is also useful against teams without much sure hands.

Yeah don’t ignore the count, but only take him when you can also get a wizard.

I’ve played 2 seasons in occ1 at the top where I was 800-1200  tv down every match so I got a whole playbook full of inducement plays.

Hell I was competitive in the championship back in occ1 with a almost rookie team consisting of only 1 good ghoul + decent mummy+ wiz and the count.

with the count you always have a plan a and b, plan a is to get the ball to the count after the wiz since most bash teams  can’t scramble good enough to take down a st5 ss piece.
plan b is if it’s a suboptimal wiz/scatter to hypno to get the ball free.

But yeah the count is good but too expensive and will lose you matches when failing a catch or pick up.

• 4 months later...

Time to raise the dead on this thread.

Since my last post:

• Season 17 ended with 3/4/2 record and 4th place. Not bad for the only rookie team in the division.
  • Season 18 ended with 5/2/2 record and 3rd place. Pretty happy with that.
  • Had a baby. Very happy with that.
  • Season 19 in Division 3B
  • Was absent/conceded first game due to unforeseen circumstances. Won second game. 

Positionals:

• Both mummies have Guard/BT
  • Killer wight: MB/PO/JU
  • Utility wight: Guard/MB
  • Sacking ghoul: wrestle/tackle
  • Utility ghoul: wrestle/guard/SS
  • Two +AG ghouls :sir:

Also have 1 DP skelly and a bribe stadium.

Biggest issue I'm facing right now is the lack of tackle. The double on the killer wight meant I delayed it in favour of JU, and I wasn't going to take it before MB on the utility wight. Of course, every opponent this season has blodge everywhere.

Biggest opportunity I have now is my +AG/block/SS ghoul rolling 5+5 for its next skill. G'day MA8. Maaaaate. 

Should I consider firing a mummy to restart their skill progression after they both got normal rolls only?